• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 09 January 2014 01:02 PM
Karlok - 09 January 2014 12:57 PM

Oh no! Not a quest game, please!  Cry

I’ll lead Shitty Quest! We can break it into 4 parts - each screen being one chapter. Sarcastic

Diego Pan

Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

zobraks - 09 January 2014 04:21 AM
rtrooney - 08 January 2014 08:40 PM

I just did a quick GOG check. Neither Toonstruck nor Grim Fandango are available.

You can play those two games on newer OS’s perfectly well: Toonstruck is supported by ScummVM and for GF there’s ResidualVM.

While I didn’t enjoy ITE, it played perfectly out of the box from GOG. I’m not a big fan of trying to make things work via DOSBox or Scummvm. So, if I can’t find a way top play it natively, I’m probably not going to play it.

I’m not going to post the site, because of piracy questions, but there is an FPFP site from which you can download a DOSBox-enabled game.

Even though KQ1 was the second game I ever played, Codename: Iceman being the first; on floppy disks on an 8088 machine, I never liked the series. So, while KQ6 seems to be gaining momentum, I won’t be joining.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As it’s GOG-ready, I’ll add a vote for Journeyman 3.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

rtrooney - 09 January 2014 08:45 PM

Yeah, and before few years the authors released the DVD version (crispier graphics, no disc-swapping…), which seems to be this GOG version.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

updated:
Discworld: Sefir, CoyoteAG
Fahrenheit: Kurufinwe (leader)
Tex Murphy: Under A Killing Moon: Sefir (leader), Kurufinwe, Lady Kestrel, wilco, SweetDalilah
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive:  Iznogood (leader), Kurufinwe, Karlok, Sidhi, wilco, Duke
Mission Critical: Sefir, Kurufinwe, crabapple, Karlok
RAMA: crabapple, Lady Kestrel, Iznogood
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist: rtrooney, Dag, Sefir
Dreamfall: Kurufinwe (leader), Sefir, Dag, Iznogood, Karlok, Duke
Spycraft: Karlok, Sefir
Dragonsphere: Karlok
Memoria: SweetDalilah, Sefir
The 7th Guest: Lady Kestrel, Sefir
The Cat Lady: Sefir (leader), chrissie, CoyoteAG
Sanitarium: crabapple, Sefir
Full Throttle: Sefir
Toonstruck: rtrooney
Grim Fandango: Sefir (leader), rtrooney
Sherlock Holmes and The Silver Earing: Kurufinwe, SweetDalilah, Sefir, wilco, Iznogood
Black Dahlia: Kurufinwe, SweetDalilah, rtrooney, CoyoteAG
Secrets of Da Vinci: Kurufinwe (leader), diego, crabapple, wilco, Lady Kestrel
Nostradamus: Kurufinwe (leader), crabapple, Lady Kestrel
KQ6: Kurufinwe (leader), Dag, Iznogood, wilco
The Journeyman Project 3: diego (leader), Sefir, wilco, Karlok, Lady Kestrel, Kurufinwe, rtrooney
Primordia: crabapple, Lady Kestrel

rtrooney - 09 January 2014 08:45 PM

For the record, Memoria, The Cat Lady and Primordia are also very new games (both released last year) and easy to download and play.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

2 days without a vote… *reads SAGPVM (Sefir’s Adventure Gamers Playthrough Voting Manual):

“If there’s no vote for 48 hours, the current results should be considered final. There is no appeal from this decision.”

Do I hear seventy… JP3 going once, twice… Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

diego - 11 January 2014 08:27 PM

2 days without a vote… *reads SAGPVM (Sefir’s Adventure Gamers Playthrough Voting Manual):

“If there’s no vote for 48 hours, the current results should be considered final. There is no appeal from this decision.”

Do I hear seventy… JP3 going once, twice… Tongue

“The Voting Manual is more what you’d call “guidelines” than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Mister diego.”

(more seriously now…are you really satisfied by starting a playthrough supported just by 7 people??? My advice is to wait a couple of days more. I’m positive that more voters will join! Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

rtrooney - 09 January 2014 08:44 PM

While I didn’t enjoy ITE, it played perfectly out of the box from GOG. I’m not a big fan of trying to make things work via DOSBox or Scummvm. So, if I can’t find a way top play it natively, I’m probably not going to play it.

Adding games to ScummVM is incredibly effortless though, easier and even quicker than installing a game the normal way, and it’s done the same way for any game title, and in my experience, they’ve all runned smoothly. If you’ve attempted this just once, you’d probably prefer playing games with ScummVM given that they’re supported by it. Running games in DOSBox, however, often require a little more tinkering and sometimes even third party programs to run games properly, and even so, there may still be glitching issues, so I can understand your reluctance towards that.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dag - 11 January 2014 09:51 PM
rtrooney - 09 January 2014 08:44 PM

Adding games to ScummVM is incredibly effortless though, easier and even quicker than installing a game the normal way, and it’s done the same way for any game title, and in my experience, they’ve all runned smoothly. If you’ve attempted this just once, you’d probably prefer playing games with ScummVM given that they’re supported by it. Running games in DOSBox, however, often require a little more tinkering and sometimes even third party programs to run games properly, and even so, there may still be glitching issues, so I can understand your reluctance towards that.

If you look at the ITE comments, I think you will find that people who attempted to run the game via ScummVM had far more crashes and overall dissatisfaction than those who ran it “out of the box” via GOG’s DOSbox. In fact many players who went the alterative route seemed to regret it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

rtrooney - 11 January 2014 10:27 PM

If you look at the ITE comments, I think you will find that people who attempted to run the game via ScummVM had far more crashes and overall dissatisfaction than those who ran it “out of the box” via GOG’s DOSbox. In fact many players who went the alterative route seemed to regret it.

Yeah, that’s true, I remember that from the CPT. I played the GoG version myself, which, as you say, ran smoothly. But you shouldn’t dismiss ScummVM because of that one game. I’ve been using ScummVM for a very long time. Except from the Humongous Entertainment games, I’ve played almost every adventure game that is compatible on ScummVM and I can’t remember ever having had any notable issues. If you ask me, that program is one of the best things that ever happened to adventure gaming, and I’m shocked at your implication that you would avoid an adventure game entirely, only because it required the use of ScummVM Tongue Not all GoG games runs perfectly either, for example, the GoG version of GK1 is littered with bugs.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

updated:
Discworld: Sefir, CoyoteAG
Fahrenheit: Kurufinwe (leader)
Tex Murphy: Under A Killing Moon: Sefir (leader), Kurufinwe, Lady Kestrel, wilco, SweetDalilah
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive:  Iznogood (leader), Kurufinwe, Karlok, Sidhi, wilco, Duke
Mission Critical: Sefir, Kurufinwe, crabapple, Karlok
RAMA: crabapple, Lady Kestrel, Iznogood
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist: rtrooney, Dag, Sefir
Dreamfall: Kurufinwe (leader), Sefir, Dag, Iznogood, Karlok, Duke
Spycraft: Karlok, Sefir
Dragonsphere: Karlok
Memoria: SweetDalilah, Sefir
The 7th Guest: Lady Kestrel, Sefir
The Cat Lady: Sefir (leader), chrissie, CoyoteAG
Sanitarium: crabapple, Sefir
Full Throttle: Sefir
Toonstruck: rtrooney
Grim Fandango: Sefir (leader), rtrooney
Sherlock Holmes and The Silver Earing: Kurufinwe, SweetDalilah, Sefir, wilco, Iznogood
Black Dahlia: Kurufinwe, SweetDalilah, rtrooney, CoyoteAG
Secrets of Da Vinci: Kurufinwe (leader), diego, crabapple, wilco, Lady Kestrel
Nostradamus: Kurufinwe (leader), crabapple, Lady Kestrel
KQ6: Kurufinwe (leader), Dag, Iznogood, wilco
The Journeyman Project 3: diego (leader), Sefir, wilco, Karlok, Lady Kestrel, Kurufinwe, rtrooney
Primordia: crabapple, Lady Kestrel

It’s been a while and nothing has changed….TJP 3 is still in front with 7 votes (a very small number, concidering the previous voteings!), followed by TPD and Dreamfall, 1 vote behind. The good thing is that both games do have leaders. If the votings remain the same in the next two days, then the results should be considered final (there diego! Satisfied? Tongue).

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sefir - 13 January 2014 06:01 AM

If the votings remain the same in the next two days, then the results should be considered final (there diego! Satisfied? Tongue).

Thumbs Up Yeaaah!

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2004-04-27

PM

Put me down as a vote towards Dreamfall.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dag - 11 January 2014 10:50 PM

I’m shocked at your implication that you would avoid an adventure game entirely, only because it required the use of ScummVM Tongue Not all GoG games runs perfectly either, for example, the GoG version of GK1 is littered with bugs.

I have played so many games over the years.

Not playing a game because it requires ScummVM or DOSBox is not going to kill me.

I am of an age where I like things simple. While I did play Callahan’s, it’s also one of the reasons I loved AVP. Simple! Install game/Install patch/Play. Can’t get any simpler than that.

That’s not to say that I am totally averse. If the only way I can get more votes for FPFP is to… well you know where that goes.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Put me down for Dreamfall too.  I haven’t played it since it came out, and I’ll need to replay it sometime before Chapters comes out.

I’ll also vote for Sanitarium, Full Throttle, Toonstruck (which I’ve never played but have been meaning to), and Black Dahlia (which I liked but never finished, because the puzzles are insane).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top