• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Seeking Detective Games

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Windows 7 Laptop? I’d try the “Art of Murder Series” - they should play fine and are pretty good games. “I love the last one - “Cards of Destiny”.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

If you don’t mind the ridiculous difficulty, zero tolerance for mistakes, and graphics that looked rather bad even back in its day, try KGB. You’ll need DOSBox and psychic abilities to play it, but it fits your request perfectly.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-03-08

PM

I second KGB. The detective work was great.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2012-09-26

PM

Agustín Cordes - 18 September 2012 04:22 PM

Why no love for Cruise For a Corpse or The Colonel’s Bequest? They’re rarely mentioned in topics like this…

Also, if you must choose one Sherlock Holmes game, make it Case Of The Rose Tattoo.

Sigh, I’ve been trying and tryyyying to get Rose Tattoo to play on my comp Cry
I also agree with Maupiti being an awesome detective game.

Another one I had fun with (although it may be a little childish for some) is Discworld Noir, I had fun with that for the most part. Also (and again, not sure whether or not this’d appeal to you) but the J.B Harold games, I really liked from an investigative standpoint.
LA Noire is cool, particularly the suspect interrogation process and freedom of choice when it came to making arrests etc.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

p1nk0es - 27 September 2012 01:11 AM

Another one I had fun with (although it may be a little childish for some) is Discworld Noir

Far from “childish”, it’s got one the sharpest writing in adventure games. We had fun with it in a community playthrough.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2012-09-26

PM

diego - 27 September 2012 01:24 AM
p1nk0es - 27 September 2012 01:11 AM

Another one I had fun with (although it may be a little childish for some) is Discworld Noir

Far from “childish”, it’s got one the sharpest writing in adventure games. We had fun with it in a community playthrough.

True.. Not childish, sorry, but in reference to the games extreme fantasy setting as opposed to some of the more realistic/mature-themed (although yes DN does revolve around murder etc) titles mentioned. For lack of a better description I guess :[
(I’ve never participated in forums and such before, if I get a bit carried away it’s because I’m kind of excited about discussing ag’ing with others as I’ve never really had the chance to before in my everyday life Grin LOL I’m having a blast this afternoon)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

LA Noire takes a fairly high end computer to play well. I’d love to recommend it, but hesitate without knowing all the specs of the Windows 7 laptop it will be played on.

Content

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

TimovieMan - 19 September 2012 01:40 PM

If you have a DS, I recommend Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past as a solid noir detective game, and also Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and its sequel Last Window: The Secret of Cape West. While these last two are not detective games per se, the main character plays detective throughout, and they’re good noir games as well…

Hotel Dusk and The Last Window are great examples of investigative games where you don’t play as a detective and it still feels very noir, more so than a lot of actual detective games.

Jake Hunter DS: MOTP is a solid visual novel, but lacks interactivity. Good if all you’re playing for is the story.

I loved Still Life but I haven’t played it in years. Post Mortem had great atmosphere as well.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2007-01-08

PM

If you have an iPad 2 or 3 get THE LAST EXPRESS, one of the best ever, and only $4.99.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Black Dahlia and Post Mortem.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

oceanwilde - 12 September 2015 11:44 AM

Hi, I’m sorry for necroing this thread, but I’m very interested in trying out the Black Dahlia game that has been mentioned here a few times. Is it available for purchase anywhere and does it run on modern operating systems?

There are several available on ebay ranging from $6.99 on up. Can’t say whether it will work on your particular system, but if you’re running Windows 7, Vista or an earlier OS, you could try starting it up in a compatibility mode. I’m not the expert on this however, but others here might have some advice on how to make it work for you.

Here is a link to the page where I found the game: Black Dahlia video game on ebay

Also, there was one copy available on Amazon for a mere $125.00 when I last checked…

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

oceanwilde - 13 September 2015 07:18 PM

Unfortunately, Ebay doesn’t deliver to my country. :-(

I guess I’ll wait and cross my fingers for a GOG release some day.

Unless you buy or trade a copy at gametz.com.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Karlok - 13 September 2015 08:04 PM
oceanwilde - 13 September 2015 07:18 PM

Unfortunately, Ebay doesn’t deliver to my country. :-(

I guess I’ll wait and cross my fingers for a GOG release some day.

Unless you buy or trade a copy at gametz.com.

Have you ever used this website? How reliable is it that you won’t get scammed?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SoccerDude28 - 13 September 2015 10:29 PM

Have you ever used this website? How reliable is it that you won’t get scammed?

According to the site’s stats I have completed 65 trades with 45 different traders. Smile Not recently though, the last trade was a couple of years ago. The owner is very reliable and I’ve never been scammed, but of course you should be careful and like the starting guide says, it is rare but does happen. Most traders will expect newcomers to send first until you’ve been rated as a good trader.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

oceanwilde - 12 September 2015 11:44 AM

Hi, I’m sorry for necroing this thread, but I’m very interested in trying out the Black Dahlia game that has been mentioned here a few times. Is it available for purchase anywhere and does it run on modern operating systems?

Black Dahlia was another excellent Take 2 Entertainment game. It was released in 1997. Which puts it questionable territory for being playable on today’s equipment. The most recent community playthrough of a game from that era was, I think, Journeyman Project 3, which was released in 1998 and, for me, required the GOG-supplied DOSbox version to run on my system. (Win7 - 64bit) I’ve not played it in MANY years, so the answer to question of playability is speculation on my part. But my guess is that it would not play “out of the box” on today’s machines. If it ever makes it to a community playthrough, I guess I will pull the box off the shelf and find out for sure.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top