• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

GOG v Steam

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

There used to be a big difference between gog and Steam but they are now getting very similar.
DRM is non issue since forever.
I think it’s about Quantity and choice (Steam) vs quality of the support (gog)
Gog can’t accept everything or they will start losing what makes them different.
I used to think Steam was getting pretty messed up with them allowing everything in but now I think it’s their biggest strength, but I also don’t want gog to become like it.

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Yes… I also think having some competition is healthy. The same is true for every market.

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

@Wilco

I still don’t see that as a reason for Gog.com not to accept more titles. As long as they keep ‘curating’ and picking the better titles of the genre.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Origami - 21 September 2016 01:00 PM

Also Giom is French. Otherwise he wouldn’t have taken offense. Calling it.

I am French (although I’ve lived almost half of my life abroad, I don’t have a second nationality yet), but I’d have been equally offended if you had said he was German or any other nationality, ethnicity or color of skin…
I didn’t catch from your message that you meant it as a joke and I’m rather touchy on the subject of racism…

And yes, I believe that the criteria for inclusion in Gog is not quality but instead popularity (or strength of the publishers) and while popularity often correlates well with quality, it’s not always the case.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

The real issue is how to make this choice… There’s always some subjectivity in the matter.

Metacritic is one thing, but it’s not always reliable. Reviewers will most often give very good reviews to games that are well made but not really original. (most AAA games)

On the other hand, some more unique games may have some flaws but show much more creativity.

In the end, it comes up to one thing : do you want someone else to make that choice for you? Or do you want to decide yourself, maybe after filtering with objective characteristics? (genre, theme, length…) Or after reading reviews from people who played the game?

Some games might not be for everyone, either. I know mine isn’t and some people will think it’s pretty bad, because I didn’t follow the usual formula. (In my case, a lot of people who usually don’t like adventure games absolutely loved it, while some core adventure gamers despised it)

It’s a complex matter…

How did the other mediums come up with solutions to this? Music, cinema? I’m not sure, to be honest.

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Tim, very timely thread for me. 

Thanks for posting it!  Laughing  Wink

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

COWCAT - 21 September 2016 02:03 PM

How did the other mediums come up with solutions to this? Music, cinema? I’m not sure, to be honest.

If you are talking distribution systems such as Apple, Amazon and Netflix, I doubt that you would find many rejects. When your consumer base is in the tens, if not hundreds, of millions I doubt you can afford to act as a curator/censor of people’s tastes.

@Dara100 - Thanks for the thanks!  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Origami - 21 September 2016 01:58 PM

@Wilco

I still don’t see that as a reason for Gog.com not to accept more titles. As long as they keep ‘curating’ and picking the better titles of the genre.

They can’t or they’ll lose the quality support for the titles available. Resources are limited

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

giom - 21 September 2016 02:03 PM

And yes, I believe that the criteria for inclusion in Gog is not quality but instead popularity (or strength of the publishers) and while popularity often correlates well with quality, it’s not always the case.

I don’t think popularity is the critical factor for inclusion. I have seen a lot of indie games pop up on GOG.com that were far from popular: Teslagrad, Apotheon, The Cat Lady, Evoland, Gemini Rue, Va 11 Hall-A(that bar keepers visual novel) to name a few.

wilco - 21 September 2016 02:58 PM

They can’t or they’ll lose the quality support for the titles available. Resources are limited

As product portfolio grows so should the company. Hire new personnel.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

rtrooney - 21 September 2016 02:46 PM
COWCAT - 21 September 2016 02:03 PM

If you are talking distribution systems such as Apple, Amazon and Netflix, I doubt that you would find many rejects. When your consumer base is in the tens, if not hundreds, of millions I doubt you can afford to act as a curator/censor of people’s tastes.

@Dara100 - Thanks for the thanks!  Smile

I don’t know, Netflix has a very limited catalog (at least here in France)

But I don’t know if Netflix rejects stuff or the film/series owners.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

COWCAT - 21 September 2016 03:00 PM

I don’t know, Netflix has a very limited catalog (at least here in France)

But I don’t know if Netflix rejects stuff or the film/series owners.

In the case of Netflix it is purely a licensing issue. Netflix intends to offer the same content globally in the coming years. At least…that’s their goal.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Netflix currently has a limited footprint in Europe, as well as in Asia. Part of that is because they need to work on the systems, such as how do they get paid. I expect that once the systems are functioning you will see rapid growth. At least that’s what they are telling their shareholders.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

COWCAT - 21 September 2016 12:48 PM

Maybe that French people are always complaining? Grin That might be true Smile

giom - 21 September 2016 02:03 PM

I am French (although I’ve lived almost half of my life abroad, I don’t have a second nationality yet), but I’d have been equally offended if you had said he was German or any other nationality, ethnicity or color of skin…

Does that mean that the French aren’t aware of their own stereotypes abroad??? Gasp

Origami was alluding to the stereotypical French chauvinism. This “petit Belge” got the joke instantly. Is that just a Belgian/Dutch thing? Sealed Lips

On-topic: I use both GOG and Steam. Both have their pros and cons, all have been discussed here already.
If given the choice, I usually prefer GOG because it’s always DRM-free and there’s never an active internet connection needed just to play. Having said that, you rarely have the choice, thus I have far more games on Steam than I do on GOG…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 21 September 2016 04:25 PM

Does that mean that the French aren’t aware of their own stereotypes abroad??? Gasp

Origami was alluding to the stereotypical French chauvinism. This “petit Belge” got the joke instantly. Is that just a Belgian/Dutch thing? Sealed Lips

Yes, that’s why I said Origami’s nationality was also important. Smile  (I didn’t know about Belgium though.)

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Karlok - 21 September 2016 04:48 PM

Yes, that’s why I said Origami’s nationality was also important. Smile  (I didn’t know about Belgium though.)

Could you explain why my nationality is important for making a joke like that?
Dutch are not particulary known for being funny. What is a classic Dutch stereotype though is that we are known to be pinchy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top