• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

GOG v Steam

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Not for the joke per se. For the stereotype of the French. I understood immediately what you meant because I’m Dutch.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Karlok - 21 September 2016 05:08 PM

Not for the joke per se. For the stereotype of the French. I understood immediately what you meant because I’m Dutch.

Whoa you’re Dutch?! *shocked*

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 21 September 2016 04:48 PM

Yes, that’s why I said Origami’s nationality was also important. Smile  (I didn’t know about Belgium though.)

They’re our neighbours, and we’re on good terms with them. Expect some stereotypical ribbing. We make jokes about the French being chauvinistic, they make jokes about us being dumb.
The same with the Netherlands. You make jokes about the Belgians being dumb, we make jokes about you being stingy, etc.

Just some friendly ribbing, imo.

Here’s a French joke that made me laugh: how do you get 12 Belgians into a 2CV? Throw in a fry. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It occurred to me that while I, and most people from the US, am intimately familiar with Netflix, those AGers from Europe and beyond may not be. I’ve been a subscriber since 2000. And I can tell you that I understand Cowcat’s comment about the movie title list being a little sparse. Netflix in the US was not always like what you see today. There were often long wait times for popular movies. When Netflix started streaming content It had few current movies. Most of the content was old TV shows. So it has certainly changed over the years. And it will likely be a few years before the US business model can be duplicated in the rest of the world.

For reference this seems to be a decent history of the organization.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2015-05-20

PM

Going right to the original question real quick, I find I tend to use whatever service has the game. I try to hunt down and get a copy of every adventure game I hear of. I prefer physical copies for older games, but for newer games that are digital only, it depends; if I have the choice, I tend to go with Steam, but I’ve gotten games from places like GOG and itch.io before, and GamersGate as well. And there’s a few really out there title that might force me into getting a Desura account.

I guess what I’m really saying is that I’m not that picky. I might start moving more towards GamersGate and GOG for being DRM-free, as I’d like to revisit the games I purchase in the future. But right now, Steam is very popular, has great features like Greenlight, contains plenty of exclusives and the DRM isn’t overly restrictive; I’ll stick with them as my primary shop for the time being.

Speaking on Netflix, and streaming in general, I find myself very unlucky, LOL. I very rarely watch movies/TV (too many adventure games to play!), but of the handful of stuff I like, it’s spread out among pretty much across all different streaming services. I need to keep a Hulu, Netflix and Crunchyroll account just to have my bases covered. And when they don’t have something (or it’s in Netflix’s infamous ‘DVD-only’ section’), I have to use Vudu or some other rental service to rent it.

If only my tastes matched what was available on just one platform… oh well. At least Netflix keeps adding new stuff, like rtrooney was saying. And it’s a lot better than having to trek to Blockbuster, hoping they have that new movie.

Walking the fine line between being an original hardware nerd, and being broke from buying original hardware.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 21 September 2016 05:13 PM

The same with the Netherlands. You make jokes about the Belgians being dumb, we make jokes about you being stingy, etc.

Right! The difference is however that Belgians aren’t dumb whereas the Dutch ARE stingy.

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2015-05-20

PM

Right! The difference is however that Belgians aren’t dumb whereas the Dutch ARE stingy.

I know several Dutch people, and the only common thread between them is that they hate when you refer to their country as ‘Dutchland’. I guess there might be a mix-up with ‘Deutschland’, i.e. Germany.

Walking the fine line between being an original hardware nerd, and being broke from buying original hardware.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

BlakouttheMM - 22 September 2016 01:45 PM

I know several Dutch people, and the only common thread between them is that they hate when you refer to their country as ‘Dutchland’. I guess there might be a mix-up with ‘Deutschland’, i.e. Germany.

This may be one of those insidious generation gaps, but I have never ever heard anyone refer to Holland as Dutchland. Deutsch instead of Dutch, many times. Kopenhagen instead of Amsterdam, many times. And Belgium is a beautiful city…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 22 September 2016 02:07 PM

And Belgium is a beautiful city…

It is, Denmark has a lovely capital. (*)

(*) This has actually been the most common answer in an American school poll about Belgium in the late 90s. “It’s the capital of Denmark” was given as an answer more often than “it’s a country in Europe”. Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I have never heard an English speaker ever say Dutchland either, and I have traveled a lot.

A huge mix-up that I only found out about more recently is that of Dutch and Danish. Either a lot of people think that the official language of Denmark is Dutch or Danish of the Netherlands. It was one of those two.

Another interesting tidbit is that Holland and The Netherlands are not one and the same.
A lot of languages differentiate between the two(by having a translation for both Holland and the Netherlands) but then some languages don’t….which is weird because again they’re not the same.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This has taken an unexpected turn. But I will comment.

I find it horrible that any child is unable to identify countries and capitols of our country’s best allies. Pathetic

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 22 September 2016 09:07 PM

I find it horrible that any child is unable to identify countries and capitols of our country’s best allies. Pathetic

I forgive any child that is still in school learning boring stuff about faraway countries, but I refuse to forgive a wannabe president of the USA.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m thrilled to see that Steam has just been fined $3 million for not offering a proper refund policy. Sure, it’s only one country, but it’s a start. Their habit of putting out buggy, incomplete games while advertising them as complete is absurd (hi Barrow Hill: The Dark Path) and hopefully this will prompt them to change it.

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oscar - 23 December 2016 06:49 AM

Steam… Their habit of putting out buggy, incomplete games while advertising them as complete is absurd (hi Barrow Hill: The Dark Path)

Haha! Did they fix it already?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

I personally prefer Steam for newer games, but GOG for Sierra and LucasArts titles.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top