• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mage’s Initiation soon?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I nearly forgot about Mage’s Initiation but I saw there was a recent preorder that ended yesterday I guess.  Is it coming soon then?  I see apparently it’s in beta testing phase.  Been waiting eagerly for this one Smile

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I think it’s safe to say it’s coming relatively soon, but it still could be several months more, at least. This is the alpha stage, not beta just yet, and they’ve said this about the current build:

The initial alpha build has no character voices (aside from some placeholder “robot” speech in areas), and undoubtedly contains many bugs and unpolished areas which are still on our to-do list.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

If theres one thing i know about this team its that they are very thorough. They will take time to test it, probably several months at least.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yeah, from the kickstarter update seems like there’s still a long way to goo until the actual release

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s not surprising. RPG elements will take time to test out, especially because they have multiple magic schools with different kinds of spell specialization.

I do hope that the combat ends up being good, as none of the AGS made adventure/RPG hybrids have really excelled on that area. Not that Quest For Glory games were superb on that area either, but I’d hope someone would find the sweet spot.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

It would be especially sweet if they solve the combat problem with these games, but im not expecting it and its really ok if they dont. These games just need combat that doesnt actively detract from the experience.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The trailer on the main page today shows a lot advance. I guess we will see its release truly in the next 6 months or so, i kinda trust the quality of this game.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Release date is January 30th, Advie, so definitely close now.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Awesome, Thanks Jack!

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah what i gathered from the updates is the game has been ready to release since last month. But they are sticking to the “cant release anywhere near xmas” approach. Still.. not far…

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

tomorrow!!! cant wait

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I am just downloading GOG copy. They provided keys for both, for Steam and GOG, which was very nice of them.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Quick impression after 2 hours.

the puzzles thus far have not been anything special. Pretty standard adventure RPG fare, really. Quite logical and somewhat reminiscent of what you’d see in a Quest For Glory game. You need to use spells to solve some of the puzzles.

the graphics look very nice and the animation is pretty good. The lipsyncing is well done, but other than that the character portraits are motionless. The voice acting is a bit hit and miss, especially D’arcy, the main character is very uneven. There are some recording differences in the voices as well. Music is good.

The combat system is okay. It seems to work the best when played with keyboard(WASD movement, space casts a spell, number keys choose a spell). Basically, you have one monster targeted, which you can then hit with spells as long as it is dead while trying to manoeuvre around the screen avoiding being hit. During the battle, you can chuck healing and mana potions as needed. You don’t seem to get experience from combat, only stuff, like sellable goods, healing potions, money and so on.

The character has 4 main traits (strength, intelligence etc.) you can enhance on level up as well as with gems you can equip 2 at the time. The gems can either directly add to some trait or add on some and detract on others. So pretty basic and simple system all in all.

The game has 3 UI’s you can use, depending on what you like. There’s the classic Sierra drop down from the upper edge of the screen, a Lucas style verb coin and a context-sensitive right-click UI. So, again, very decent of them to offer options here. You can change the UI freely, so you aren’t stuck with one you don’t like.

Overall, I’d say Mages Initiation feels like a promising game.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2004-04-08

PM

Looking forward to trying it Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 30 January 2019 05:02 AM

You don’t seem to get experience from combat, only stuff, like sellable goods, healing potions, money and so on.

i guess that means ‘experience’ as at its own meter of experience, or it doesn’t really add even to the strength level!?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top