• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 9 September

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

As I was unfamiliar with Poe’s original story, I can’t tell you how close this game,                  Dark Tales - Edgar Allan Poe’s Metzengerstein, hews to the story line. The plot is simple.

There are two competing families. (Think Montague v. Capulet.) The son of one family falls in love with the daughter of the other, and she reciprocates. The girl’s father is opposed to the union, to the point of irrationality. The son apparently dies in a fire, sending the girl into fits of depression. She is also visited by strange visions. One of which is surprisingly physical, as the vision is capable of abducting her.

You arrive at the scene in your usual role as aide to Inspector Dupin, who has been invited here by the girl’s family. You are tasked with finding out what is going on, and, hopefully bring things to a happy conclusion.

There is all sorts of backstory going on which you discover during a narrative that takes place during a few of the hidden object scenes. There are also notes giving additional backstory scattered throughout the various locations you visit. There is some variety in the hidden objects scenes, but nothing you haven’t seen before in ERS games. There are a few scenes, though, where I honestly didn’t know what I was supposed to be doing. In those instances I had to use the Hint button to get me started.

The puzzles are of moderate difficulty. There is a Skip button that can be set in the options menu to refresh in as little as 30 seconds to up to several minutes. Because many of the puzzles are what I call “tedious”, that is, you know how to solve the
puzzle, but the number of steps just takes too long, you will be hard pressed to keep your finger off the Skip button if you have it set for a short duration. There was one puzzle that requires you to find the code that will help you solve a numerical puzzle on a device. I had the device in inventory, but could not find the code. I eventually had to use a walkthru to solve it. And, even after reading through the entire walkthru, I still don’t know where the code was hiding. Frustrating to say the least.

The graphics are top notch, which is what I would expect from an ERS game. Music and sound are above average. Voice acting is OK, but you have heard these voices before.

I played the SE version of the game. The ending was satisfactory on its own.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m not sure how much I like this game - I’m certainly drawn by the story but finding myself lost a lot of the time & relying on the hints which is not my favoured way to play!  Smile

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I used the interactive map quite a bit, but I don’t remember feeling lost. I often found myself feeling confused though. I would pick up an inventory item and know that I had seen a spot where I could use it. I just couldn’t remember where that spot was. Pan

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top