• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Help creating a panoramic adventure game! Puzzles needed!

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2016-09-08

PM

Hey everybody and thanks for keeping my favorite game genre live!
At this moment I have a panoramic adventure game concept, working game engine prototype,
there are even some theatre actors who can play as game characters.

Currently I’m in search of mini puzzle games which will be used in the game. Can anybody share any info about such a kind of puzzles? Just to clarify, I’m looking for puzzles in Myst style - the ones that do not require inventory with loads of keys, chairs, ladders and other stuff.

About myself: I’m a game developer with 5 years experience; around 25 game projects from flash to PC/Unity.

Thanks,
V

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

are you lookin for ideas of puzzles?, maybe i can help, but i don’t think i understand you correctly.. elaborate, please.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Advie - 08 September 2016 07:27 AM

are you lookin for ideas of puzzles?, maybe i can help, but i don’t think i understand you correctly.. elaborate, please.

Its time for Ammonia puzzle to get marterialized
sorry, just kiddin

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Vadim Ledyaev - 08 September 2016 04:46 AM

Currently I’m in search of mini puzzle games which will be used in the game.

Do you mean ideas for specific puzzles (like the pipes in Myst’s Channelwood age) or styles of puzzle (like sliding block puzzles or that one with the grid of lights) that can be inserted as minigames?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nomadsoul - 08 September 2016 08:49 AM
Advie - 08 September 2016 07:27 AM

Its time for Ammonia puzzle to get marterialized
sorry, just kiddin

there a say that goes here “it is where the pun was needed” Grin, and that is it exactly..

no, it just my brother is a writer and sometimes he needs my adventurous talent Tongue to aid him with some mysterious actions like puzzles, the kind created by some killer for a detective to follow, not necessarily this but i did help with a couple of tips tho.

Joined 2016-09-08

PM

Sorry for misunderstanding, I’m not a native English speaking person…
Anyways, yeah, I’m searching for puzzles ideas. But, I forgot to mention that I’m planning to do panoramas made from real photos, so most of the time the player would be locked indoors.

However, there are lots of desolate places around my place, from places looking like desert to forests and small islands. They could be a place for creating locations, too.

Also, I can also have access exotic actors - from spiders, scorpions, to snakes and owls.. With proper care, of course, no harm to them.

Summing all of that, I suppose the whole mood of the game is something dark and misterious. At this moment I just have a notebook where I store mini puzzle games. I can share some examples of these mini quests, if you’d like.
Thanks!

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Vadim Ledyaev - 08 September 2016 10:07 AM

At this moment I just have a notebook where I store mini puzzle games. I can share some examples of these mini quests, if you’d like.

Yes please! That should help us get a clearer idea what you’re after.

Joined 2016-09-08

PM

Right, sorry for the delay. Heres one I’ve developed by myself:
Imagine a box with a rotating metal shaft, 5 holes and another square metal shaft which needs to be rotated.
You have a three another shafts (round cuts) and 3 pairs of gears, one twice bigger than the next. So you have R1, R1, R2, R2, R3, R3. The biggest ones, R3, have a round hole and wouldn’t transmit rotation if placed on a square shaft.
5 holes where you can place a round shafts are placed in a row but on various distances (see my ugly picture). You can only put one gear on one shaft.

Thats it. Make the right shaft rotate CCW to open the box. Make it rotate CW to open another part of that box. You don’t need an inventory to play that puzzle, just face the box and drag-and-drop gears. It is pretty challenging (can be trivial, can be even more complex).

Level-up: you have like 8-10 gears and you can put two gears on one shaft. That means that rotation can be delivered from shaft 1 to 3, from 3->4, 4>2, 2>5, 5>6.
Level-up 2: You found a nail in the first section of that box and now you can use it as another shaft by placing it anywhere around the existing holes.
Maybe it looks complex on paper, but it is not when playing.

Image Attachments

gears.jpg

Joined 2016-09-08

PM

Phlebas - 08 September 2016 11:51 AM

At this moment I just have a notebook where I store mini puzzle games. I can share some examples of these mini quests, if you’d like.

What do you think about that puzzle?

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Vadim Ledyaev - 09 September 2016 06:01 AM

I like the look of that puzzle. It’s easy to grasp the rules and try things out, trickier to solve and the nail could be a nice twist at the end.

Joined 2016-09-08

PM

Phlebas - 09 September 2016 07:11 AM
Vadim Ledyaev - 09 September 2016 06:01 AM

I like the look of that puzzle. It’s easy to grasp the rules and try things out, trickier to solve and the nail could be a nice twist at the end.

Thanks, but is there any chance anybody around here can share puzzles like that one?
No ideas? Or maybe literature?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top