• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 05 November 2021 07:18 PM
Veovis - 05 November 2021 06:45 PM
Jdawg445 - 05 November 2021 06:19 PM

As far as everything else goes, you know i ended up not liking gibbious and had serious issues with it, but there is obvious very talented people on your team. I dont see that with saint kotar, there is a reason why so many people are scratching their heads with the glowing reviews some are giving it.

You hit the hammer on the nail here I think. I too did not care for Gibbous but it obviously came from folks who genuinely wanted to and believed they had created something good.

With Saint Kotar I can’t shake the feeling of have being fooled and I regretted having paid for something that the developers’ themselves must have understood not being a commercially viable product. Yet another proof of why these Kickstarter thingies are generally not worth supporting. I don’t anymore (unless it’s for an official Riven upgrade…).

Yes, although i think the saint kotar game was not a malicious cash grab at all, just people who had no idea what they were doing but knew what buzzwords to use to sell a game. I never hated the devs, just knew what it would be back in 17 or 18.

I never meant that Saint Kotar is a cash grab or that the devs didn’t genuinely want to create a great game from the beginning, just that it’s clear to me that the devs have cut some serious corners and delivered an end result that makes me feel a bit cheated in relation to the “marketing” they have been doing in this thread. It will be interesting to read professional reviews when they start appearing. Maybe it’s just me.

Reading my post again, I realize my words regarding Gibbous came out harsher than I intended. I indeed didn’t particularly enjoy that game very much, but that was a much more “subjective” feeling compared to Saint Kotar. Gibbous is imo a very well made game that happened not to click with me on the writing level. So, sorry about that Mr. Underhill!

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Veovis - 05 November 2021 03:51 PM

………seriously I have a hard time understanding how anyone can consider this a good game, even taking into account taste, subjectivity, to each his own etc.

As the sum of some weaker parts, I’m not sure that I do consider the game good. But for me the story, the weird atmosphere and the artwork were interesting enough to detract from its less than perfect shortcomings.

I don’t believe that there was any deliberateness on the part of the developers to mislead but the problem is that you have to play for quite a few hours before you realise that the game is not the traditional adventure you’re expecting based on the initial blurb when it was announced.

From that point of view I can understand why a player may feel they’ve been fooled. 

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 06 November 2021 06:53 AM

As far as everything else goes, you know i ended up not liking gibbious and had serious issues with it, but there is obvious very talented people on your team. I dont see that with saint kotar, there is a reason why so many people are scratching their heads with the glowing reviews some are giving it.

You hit the hammer on the nail here I think. I too did not care for Gibbous but it obviously came from folks who genuinely wanted to and believed they had created something good.

With Saint Kotar I can’t shake the feeling of have being fooled and I regretted having paid for something that the developers’ themselves must have understood not being a commercially viable product. Yet another proof of why these Kickstarter thingies are generally not worth supporting. I don’t anymore (unless it’s for an official Riven upgrade…).

Yes, although i think the saint kotar game was not a malicious cash grab at all, just people who had no idea what they were doing but knew what buzzwords to use to sell a game. I never hated the devs, just knew what it would be back in 17 or 18.

I never meant that Saint Kotar is a cash grab or that the devs didn’t genuinely want to create a great game from the beginning, just that it’s clear to me that the devs have cut some serious corners and delivered an end result that makes me feel a bit cheated in relation to the “marketing” they have been doing in this thread. It will be interesting to read professional reviews when they start appearing. Maybe it’s just me.

Reading my post again, I realize my words regarding Gibbous came out harsher than I intended. I indeed didn’t particularly enjoy that game very much, but that was a much more “subjective” feeling compared to Saint Kotar. Gibbous is imo a very well made game that happened not to click with me on the writing level. So, sorry about that Mr. Underhill!

Ok gotcha

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 06 November 2021 06:53 AM

Here is the only professional review I have found yet, gave it a two out of five.

https://moviesgamesandtech.com/2021/11/07/review-saint-kotar/

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I think you’ll find that’s a four out of ten. (That’s two points more than you said! Why are you hating on the devs?)

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 07 November 2021 07:27 AM

Here is the only professional review I have found yet, gave it a two out of five.

With the risk of making it seem like I hate the developers, which I don’t, I think the review is pretty much spot on, even though it fails to mention the “NPC:s talking from behind windows or doors” thing that I found to be such an annoying and obviously deliberate bad design choice.

Also have to question how a reviewer can give a game 4/10 (or 2/5 for that matter…:)) after having found pretty much nothing good to say about the game in the review and concluding that “I couldn’t recommend Saint Kotar to anyone” and “it was a struggle to continue playing”. What does it take to receive a 1-3/10 from that site? Smile

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 07 November 2021 08:52 AM

I think you’ll find that’s a four out of ten. (That’s two points more than you said! Why are you hating on the devs?)

Lol nope not touching that with a 10 foot pole

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 07 November 2021 09:31 AM
Jdawg445 - 07 November 2021 07:27 AM

With the risk of making it seem like I hate the developers, which I don’t, I think the review is pretty much spot on, even though it fails to mention the “NPC:s talking from behind windows or doors” thing that I found to be such an annoying and obviously deliberate bad design choice.

Also have to question how a reviewer can give a game 4/10 (or 2/5 for that matter…:)) after having found pretty much nothing good to say about the game in the review and concluding that “I couldn’t recommend Saint Kotar to anyone” and “it was a struggle to continue playing”. What does it take to receive a 1-3/10 from that site? Smile

As mr underhill said i think most reviewers grade indie titles on a curve in general.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-06-06

PM

I think this is funny. Just now I searched for “Saint Kotar Reviews” and in the results next to Adventure Gamers it says:

What our readers think of Saint Kotar · Uninteresting, badly designed, unfinished, unpolished, broken, buggy and not making much sense. · An Instant Classic!

Naughty  Innocent

Image Attachments

adventurescreen.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Jdawg,
You have spent much time and energy making it very clear how you feel about this game that you have no interest in playing.  I think it’s time to let it rest and move on to something else.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

He’s finally managed to make me play this game actually.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

After having been “attacked” by one of the forum members here we decided to abandon this thread and, to be completely honest, we never even read his comments after our last one. Dev life is stressful enough even without that kind of “opinion”.

In the mean time (after the release at the end of October) we’ve significantly improved and enriched Saint Kotar by patching it multiple times, adding new voice overs, adding new content (The Void Update with new endings) and we worked on The Ritual DLC.

Great news: all PC players (current and future ones) will get The Ritual DLC for free! Once it comes out (probably this summer). Also, this summer we will be releasing the Mac and Linux versions of the game (with the DLC and all patches included).

For consoles players: the game will come out on October 14th, 2022 on Ps4, Ps5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S and Nintendo Switch. This version will include all the patches and the DLC as well.

As we’ve seen, the vast majority of members here are supportive and know how to give their feedback even if they don’t like a game. The free DLC and all the post-release patches we made is a gift for them. Thank you Smile

https://www.redmartyr.com - Red Martyr Entertainment is a narratively focused game development studio located at the south end of the magical Istrian peninsula, Croatia. We’re on a quest to deliver fun and memorable games with choices that matter.

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

Mac and Linux players, it’s your turn to delve into the cursed valley of Sveti Kotar! Saint Kotar is available now for all PC OS:

🎃 Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1358530/Saint_Kotar/
👻 GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/saint_kotar
😱 Epic: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/saint-kotar-7f0c47

In addition, we’ve fixed some stuff under the hood which gives much faster loading times, especially noticeable on older SATA HDDs (applied to Mac and Linux as well), so be sure to update the game (version 1.27) if Windows is the OS of your choice.

More news coming soon as we get closer to October, the release month of Saint Kotar on consoles (Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox One and Series X/S, and Nintendo Switch).

https://www.redmartyr.com - Red Martyr Entertainment is a narratively focused game development studio located at the south end of the magical Istrian peninsula, Croatia. We’re on a quest to deliver fun and memorable games with choices that matter.

Joined 2016-06-14

PM

Saint Kotar: The Ritual, a free DLC for the main game Saint Kotar, has been released and is available for PC Windows, Mac and Linux, on Steam, GOG and Epic Games Store.

How to play The Ritual DLC?

- owners of Saint Kotar: just let Steam, GOG or Epic update the game. After the update finishes, the DLC will appear in the main menu.
- players who don’t own Saint Kotar yet: buy the currently discounted game (-30%) on Steam, GOG or Epic. We recommend finishing the main game first though since the DLC contains many spoilers to the main storyline.

Buy Saint Kotar: https://www.saintkotar.com/play

Learn more about Saint Kotar: The Ritual DLC.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top