• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifuSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ace Attorney 5

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

HitBattousai - 22 September 2013 12:00 PM

For anyone interested, the first two cases of the second Miles Edgeworth game(first one was released in the US, second was Japan only) have been fan translated and the patch was released to the public a few days back.  Hopefully the rest will come soonish, but it did take the team involved about one and a half years of work to this point, so not sure how long the whole game will take.  That said, the first two cases are done very well, and unlike most of the games in the series the first case on this one is fairly long, close to the length of the second case.

pretty cool, but i will be waiting for the whole patch. I think the good news is usually the hardest and longest part is getting to a point where they can effectively insert the different instances of text correctly, and they clearly have that part down. But theres probably images they have to alter and maybe subtitles they have to insert… so it could be a while.. Certainly headed in the right direction!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Currently downloading the AA5 demo… Hopefully it’ll be reasonably long.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Well, that was fun.

Those nasty cel-shaded graphics make me want to barf, but the rest seems promising enough. The new airhead assistant seems OK; her weird technobullshit superpower is sort of weird gameplay-wise, but it beats Apollo’s stupid nervous tic thingie in AA4. (Also, Apollo’s new look is awesome.) Not sure I’m sold on Phoenix’s new dudebro voice, but it’s not like you hear it that much anyway. And having him back in his blue suit objecting to stuff is just great.

Three more weeks to go…

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hmmm demo? im tempted… but i dont really want to wait that long after starting…

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It’s just the intro, 1 cross-examination and the tutorial for the new emotion-reading thingie. I’ve already forgotten what the case was about, so it’s not like not knowing what happens next is going to keep me awake at night for the next 3 weeks.

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

It was certainly enough to get me in the mood for the full game. Quite looking forward to this.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Good that they are doing a demo, I will not try, I’ll just wait for it.

Still puzzling they are giving the game a decent amount of exposure - hyping it up in Nintendo Directs, demo on e-shop - and still not bothering with a physical release. Capcom has so weird decisions…

Bring on the 24th!

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s time to charge the 3DS wallet, game is coming out tomorrow.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Has anyone been playing this? I’ve finished the first two cases, and the experience has been good (but not great) so far.

I’m always happy to return to this universe, and I like that Phoenix is now in a mentor role with his gang of younger lawyers around him. It’s a nice, logical evolution for the character. I really like Athena as the new sidekick, and I especially like that she’s a good lawyer herself and not just there as damsel in distress / comic relief. Apollo is still bland as hell, but he does get a cool new look in case 1; maybe he’ll evolve into someone more interesting over the course of the game.

However, the new prosecutor has been kind of boring at this point (he’s not as brilliant as Edgeworth, as funny as Franziska or as charismatic as Godot; I guess he’s less bland than Gavin, but that’s not saying much), and the jury is still out on the wacky new detective (he’s certainly less grating than snackoo-bitch from AA4 but, once again, that’s not saying much). And it feels like the series is recycling the same themes over and over again. Case 2, for instance, has masked wrestlers and some Japanese mythology elements, and that feels like Steel Samurai + Kurain all over again. Hopefully case 3 will feel more original. (And don’t get me started on the hints of a tragic old case that involved Athena and the new prosecutor; I’m beyond fed up with that tired trope.)

Also, Takeshi Yamazaki wrote the game (like the Edgeworth game and much of AA4), and he’s certainly no Shu Takumi (the guy behind the first 3 games and Ghost Trick). Just like the Edgeworth game, it feels like it never knows when to shut up and that every little point goes on and on and on for 30 minutes. I’m all for long, meaty cases, but not when it feels like things get dragged on needlessly.

Still, I’m happy to be playing AA5, I like the atmosphere, the updated interface is swell, and the second case managed to have some nice twists I hadn’t seen coming (despite the game revealing the culprit in the intro), so I’m enjoying the game.

What does everybody else think?

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Now it’s probably time to get the 3DS. Any words on when Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright will get a European release?

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2005-03-13

PM

I just finished the game. No spoilers in this comment.

I like Athena because she was funny, strong but not perfect and was competent at what she did. I would really love to play more as her, so I hope she’ll be back as a main character if there’s another game in the series. I feel that Apollo also became much more interesting in this game, though I wish they had at least referred to the massive secret about him and a certain other character that was revealed in the end of Apollo Justice. The new prosecutor was more interesting in theory than practice and I never really grew to care about him as a character the way I did with some of the previous ones.

The cases were fun, and especially the last one managed to take me entirely by surprise on several occasions, which was refreshing because I was able to guess almost every other plot twist long before they happened.

My biggest complaint is that it wasn’t possible to examine any of the locations except the crime scenes. A lot of the best dialogue in the older parts came from taking a look at random things in the background and talking about them with your assistant. There were also lots of grammatical errors in the script, particularly in the third case.

Overall, I enjoyed the game a lot, but it wasn’t as much fun as some of the previous parts. I would probably rate it as my third or fourth favourite in the series (after Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Trials and Tribulations and maybe Investigations I). I can’t really pinpoint anything majorly wrong with it, but there was just that something special missing. But I guess it’s difficult to please me these days because I’m now so used to the series and its gimmicks that not much can really surprise me the way the first game did back in the day.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Henke - 27 October 2013 01:42 PM

Now it’s probably time to get the 3DS. Any words on when Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright will get a European release?

It’s been confirmed that it’s coming early 2014.

I’m at the end of first case. Not a lot of impressions so far just that I like Athena, the character models, good animations, the 3D court and the little movies that show up at parts.
Only negative so far is that I don’t think the soundtrack is anything special compared to the first games.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

I just finished this and while I really enjoyed it there were quite a few problems I had with it.

I really liked Athena, she’s probably my favourite out of the 3. One of the main reasons for that is probably because she actually had a backstory, bums me out that a lot of the fanbase seem to hate her though but then again that seemed to be the same case with Apollo and now he’s loved.

I really liked Blackquill too, he was biggest asshole out of all the prosecutors though so I can see why he wouldn’t be liked. Also his character didn’t really get fleshed out until the last case.

Athenas Objection Theme and the flashback variation of it is also probably my favourite themes in the series but apart from that I the rest of the music in this game was just ok, the Turnabout theme was awesome in the trailer but didn’t really have the same impact in the actual game. The cross examination theme was interesting but all over the place.

Aesthetically the game is near perfect, they did a great job translating the art and animation style into 3D while keeping it’s charm and the new features such as the Backlog for dialogue and multi angle investigations are great but the game only letting you investigate when it wants you to really put a damper on things.

My biggest problem with the game was it pretty much held your hand through the whole thing, any time an obstacle appeared and I was expecting to have to present some evidence one of the characters would end up automatically presenting the relevant evidence and even when the game did let you present it yourself it just flat out told you what you are supposed to present. the game ended up being a lot shorter than the previousngames despite having 5 episodes

Looking forward to the DLC chapter and the next game hopefully it wont be another 7 years wait for it

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve also just finished it. I thought it was fine. I really, really like Athena and I hope we’ll see more of her in the future. Apollo is still boring (and his stupid power annoying) and he can be sent into space permanently for all I care. Blackquill can join him. As a matter of fact, there aren’t a lot of characters from this game that I’d really like to see again, except the trio from case 3, and maybe Aura and the robots (well, mostly the robots).

The third case was really my favourite, even though the culprit was eminently predictable. I liked the Academy, and that was maybe the only case that managed to flesh out a little bit the whole “dark age of the law” theme that the game keeps yammering on about even though you almost never see any actual sign of it.

The final case felt underwhelming, although the imagery of the courthouse scenes was striking. It felt like it was just retreading some old themes from earlier games. It didn’t help that (MAJOR SPOILER) I’d been expecting the scar on Fulbright’s right hand to come up in court ever since he first appeared, and was therefore suspecting he’d turn out to be the big bad. (The scar actually never came up, but I think it’s pretty clear it’s supposed to be from when Athena stabbed him 7 years earlier.)

All in all, it was a fun game, definitely better than 4 or AAI, but not up to the level of the original trilogy. If they want to go on, they really need to start shaking things up a bit, because all the series’ tropes are starting to feel more than a little tired to me.

(Also, Phoenix and Edgeworth need to get a room already. Seriously.)

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

just finished the first case. So far its typical phoenix wright: bad logic, but its fun anyway.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top