• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cypher:A Cyberpunk Text Adventure

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-09-05

PM

Niclas - 05 September 2012 09:03 PM

OK, I downloaded this game the other day, and started playing it last night. I really wanted to give this game a chance, but I stopped playing it after 20 minutes. Way too complicated. I actually never played a text adventure before, but I realised that this type of game is not my cup of tea. However, I think that if you are used to these kind of games, and actually like the concept, you will be in for a treat.

Try playing some well done Interactive Fiction games.  I play these types of games all the time and love Interactive Fiction.  Most IF games you feel free and they will subtlety hint you in the direction of an answer to continue your game.

Character needs to shower? You have many different actions you can take.
> Take shower
> Enter shower
> Get in shower
Maybe you should try taking off your clothes first.

This game doesn’t give you any indication that you’re working towards the right thing.  There just aren’t enough responses or actions coded in, you know exactly what you need to do, but the game doesn’t understand you.  You need to clean off a keycard?  Clean and wipe don’t work, and you have to guess that the game wants you to ‘dry’ off the keycard, even though wipe or clean would work fine in most other IF games.

Try something modern like Adam Cadre’s 9:05, quick and fun to play.  Play free and online here.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

CabreraBrothers - 05 September 2012 04:28 PM

Hello, Cabrera Brothers here!

Glad you guys are enjoying the game so far!

You’re taking the time to post here but you’re ignoring the criticism of your game (parser, English grammar). Interesting.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Knowing Javier Cabrera, it’s obvious there was going to be a reference to Total Recall.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

I’m interested in the game, but the simulated screen flickering seems a little too much for my taste; is it possible to turn it off or tone it down?

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

yes it’s possible to turn it off…also the music and the guy smoking Tongue…..it’s all in the manual.they are special commands.the manual you get with any release.

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

All the hint request posts have been moved to the hints forum.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

jhetfield21 - 09 September 2012 10:07 AM

yes it’s possible to turn it off

Cool. Thanks.

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

jhetfield21 - 09 September 2012 10:07 AM

also the music and the guy smoking.

This got me thinking. I thought the graphics with the yellow question marks on the official web site were cropped actual in-game shots. But so far every video I’ve seen has shown something like the example below - text on the left, the smoking guy on the right, and on top on that different items and/or a stamp sized image of the current location.

Is that what the game looks like all the time? I’m fine with the item graphics, they look great, but I would prefer much bigger images of the locations. Big images of some of the characters you meet would also be nice. Wish they had a demo, or at least a screenshot section on their web site (the trailer is not helping much in that regard).

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

ok…for the characters maybe it’s doable….but for the locations there is a reason.

they are there just to show some layout maybe but they don’t show you how it is exactly so that you have to use your imagination.it becomes a very unique experience that way.i think this is mentioned in the manual somewhere.

maybe if it is suggested to them they will do it but i think they probably want you to imagine things.Dog has graphics because he is the main character you have to think about him a lot and he is used for the cover and such.

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

I like that they’ve kept the using-your-imagination aspect of IF.

And this is obviously highly subjective, but in IF with graphics I prefer big images of the locations, and indoor shots when you’re inside a building. With a single, big image of each location, there’s still room for letting your imagination loose. But it’s kind of unique that they’ve focused on item graphics over images of locations and characters, and I see their reasoning for doing so. A combination of item art and character art, and no location images, would be a nice alternative. Well, I might buy the game anyway…

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

well it’s easier to imagine locations than items.and imagining items isn’t what leaves an impression.the locations the characters the atmosphere is what leaves an impression so i understand what they want to do.and especially when it’s a scifi themed game,items tend to be non existent things,like the plasma cutter for example(of course there are items that do exist).

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Most locations in a town are riddled with items and objects, so I would have to partly disagree Smile But of course, seeing the items you interact with could be informative for some people. And, as I said, I understand their reasoning.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

you’re right….but if they had to create a graphic for every item it would be better to have a graphic adventure Tongue.so they limit themselves to the inventory since they are using the right hand side as an inventory representation among other things.

btw there is a new patched version…1.6 so be sure to download it.the save system as it is doesn’t have a problem with new versions of the game so getting the patched version you just continue with less bugs/grammar mistakes or whatever they fix.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-09-05

PM

What Mr.jhetfield21 said!

Another news (this will make more than one very happy) we are working on a vision impaired version of CYPHER since we got some request by the community.

And yes, they were able to navigate through the site alright. ^_^

35% OFF CYPHER—Two flavors:

Leave a message in the voice of Sean Connery:
Leave a message in the voice of The Connery

Leave a message in the voice of The Bane:
Leave a message in the voice of TheBane

Both get a 35% discount!

Hurry up before the promo ends!

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

jhetfield21 - 10 September 2012 08:10 AM

you’re right….but if they had to create a graphic for every item it would be better to have a graphic adventure Tongue.so they limit themselves to the inventory since they are using the right hand side as an inventory representation among other things.

Well, I didn’t say all items. I simply meant backgrounds - It just happens that backgrounds occasionally include items and characters. I’m not even especially thinking of characters and items you could interact with - preferably the images would be just for flavor/atmosphere, and the imagination aspect would, IMO, be intact. Remember, I’m just talking about one image per location. Then I offered an alternative approach: Art of the interactive items + character art and no backgrounds.

That’s hardly the same as creating a graphic adventure, and quite a few pieces of IF have already done all or some of that. Some with success Smile

But again, I appreciate that they try something different, personally I just prefer a different approach. It’s all subjective, and, as I said, I might buy the game anyway Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top