• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #39: Resonance

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sefir - 11 May 2016 03:11 AM

Speaking of the maze, how many of you used the pesos to help you find the way?

Ah, that would’ve made things easier!  Meh

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cirroid - 11 May 2016 06:08 AM

I actually laughed out loud when Ray cracked the first password. It’s kind of an old joke, sure, but seeing the password deciphered letter by letter, and realizing midway what it was was totally hilarious. Grin

Is it “Swordfish” (because the password is always Swordfish) or “Invalid” (because if you forget it, you enter a wrong one and the computer will say “The password is invalid”)? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

TimovieMan - 11 May 2016 07:23 AM
cirroid - 11 May 2016 06:08 AM

I actually laughed out loud when Ray cracked the first password. It’s kind of an old joke, sure, but seeing the password deciphered letter by letter, and realizing midway what it was was totally hilarious. Grin

Is it “Swordfish” (because the password is always Swordfish) or “Invalid” (because if you forget it, you enter a wrong one and the computer will say “The password is invalid”)? Tongue

It’s “password” plain and simple, but these are good ones too. Grin

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

Re: the maze - [spoiler]I know that mazes are generally reviled in adventure games.  They’re placed in a box marked “do not use” next to the slider puzzle (which I also threw into the game later on!).  I have hated mazes in plenty of adventure games.  I rejected the premise that mazes in adventure games are inherently bad.  So I kind of took all this as a challenge and wanted to accomplish adding a maze to my game, but make it actually good.  It’s up to you to decide how well I accomplished that.

[spoiler]In order to make a “good” maze, I considered all the bad ones I had encountered and what made them suck.  I came up with these rules for making a maze in the game:

[spoiler]Fair: No shifting rooms or non-euclidean geometry. I also chose to use a top-down camera to make it more readable.  But I still added in the occasional 90 degree turn because I’m mean!

[spoiler]Optional: Players who really hate mazes can still skip the maze by clicking the floating image of your bedroom.

[spoiler]Has a point in the story: It seems lazy to just slap a maze into a game to slow down the player from getting from here to there. In many games, mazes are added in but don’t actually make sense in the game’s story or game world. This is bad.  Here, the maze is part of a series of nightmares.  They represent Anna’s childhood memories of a traumatic experience.  In the context of a little girl’s distant memories, crawling through a vent in your house would feel like a creepy maze.  Solving the full maze unlocks a few optional memories and pieces of Anna’s back story.

[spoiler]Has a ‘trick’: If you’re paying attention (there’s a memory that you may uncover while exploring the maze that hints at this), you should be able to figure out that you can use your pesos as breadcrumbs, to mark your way through the maze.  It’s not necessary to find this, but it certainly makes it easier!

[spoiler]I thought if I could accomplish all of this, I would succeed in making a maze in an adventure game that didn’t suck! Of course the big downside of taking on this challenge is that a bunch of reviewers just straight up docked the game for including a maze because mazes=bad.  Crazy Oh well!

Re: the wiring puzzle:  I discuss this puzzle while I solve it in the video from last night.  So, if you’re interested in seeing how to solve it, you can watch me work through it here: https://www.twitch.tv/vincetwelve/v/65761424?t=30m49s

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just got to the 1st stopping point & had forgotten just how engaging this game is. I got through pretty quickly as I remembered a lot despite playing it last 4 years ago although I did forget a few things too!
I think the maze sequence being a continuation of the monster scenario was a nice touch & yes, I did use the pesos although I still found it infuriating due to the constant change in the camera angle (yes, that WAS mean Vince!) & I would have found it far more interesting to have been able to ‘map’ the maze which was impossible!

Other than that I loved the rest of the puzzles which were pleasingly challenging in various degrees my favourites being [spoiler]hacking the computer in the Antevorta office (& I did send the secretary’s angry email to her boss) & also accessing the Antevorta terminal - did anyone try submitting a swab of Ray’s DNA?) I recognised the word of the day as I’d studied Latin for a while many years ago and found it very amusing when it was slotted into comments!

Other enigmas I liked was the clue to the keypad in Morale’s lab & my favourite the door wiring puzzle. I’d already spent hours on a previous playthrough to solve it so didn’t bother this time but think it’s excellent! I also love the LTM & STM feature which adds some variation to interaction.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Ok everyone! Time to move on!

Last time, we got introduced to the 4 protagonists, the game’s mechanics and resonance itself.  Now we move to the second part of the game, where it is more open and by far the hardest part of the game IMHO. There are many places to go, many things to explore. Remember, every character excels in different situations. Sometimes more than one person is necessary to solve a riddle. All objectives are nicely put in Ray’s cellphone. Be sure to check it often if you get lost. You have one week (until the 19th of May) to reach the point where you learn the exact location of Dr. Morales’s vault.

EDIT: I have almost forgotten how great was Anna’s second sequence. I’m usually against timed sequenses, but the tension along with the need to move the mouse in order to cut the rope was extremely well made.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sefir - 12 May 2016 02:19 PM

EDIT: I have almost forgotten how great was Anna’s second sequence. I’m usually against timed sequenses, but the tension along with the need to move the mouse in order to cut the rope was extremely well made.

When I 1st played the game I got so annoyed but on re-playing it again just recently although there was the option to ‘skip’ I just had to have a go! It took me 3 attempts which were quite tense but I think I now appreciate better how cleverly it was balanced between the game-play mechanics & the urgency within that part of the story!    Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I apologize for not getting into this yet, but renovations and family stuff have taken priority lately.  I will work hard to catch up next week.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2016-04-19

PM

I’ve fallen behind. A few days of depression didn’t help. I’m currently stuck trying to find the wrench. Could I get a nudge on what to do? Actually, maybe I need to try using Saul’s LTM as a conversation piece, but I’d still welcome a nudge.

Avoided, poorly, reading other spoilers, but glad for some of the hints I picked up for the Maze.

I’m not sure how I feel yet about the Timed Events. Partially because each rewind started fresh. I knew what I wanted to do, but I’d have to keep waiting for tutorials and other bits to finish before I could proceed. It’s like I wanted to keep moving, but kept being told to slow down, all the while things were tense and wanting me to rush.

It’s funny how my mind remembers some of the things, but not others. I had no trouble with the Detective’s introduction, but I keep stumbling over other things. Once I get caught up though, it’ll all be new.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Hexamony - 12 May 2016 04:06 PM

I’ve fallen behind. A few days of depression didn’t help. I’m currently stuck trying to find the wrench. Could I get a nudge on what to do? Actually, maybe I need to try using Saul’s LTM as a conversation piece, but I’d still welcome a nudge.

You need to LTM the object the wrench is used on meaning the valve.
After that you need to remind Saul of the story where he used the wrench

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now got to the next stopping point (I don’t have too much time until next week)

I thought there were some great multi-stepped puzzles + choices & I liked the fact that the clues were there but you’re never led (unless you consult with one of your colleagues which doesn’t always necessarily help & have to work it out) & also to make sure the active protagonist had everything they needed to proceed. 

There were some great stand-alone puzzles too: trying to get the blueprints & having to work out distractions to get Ray to leave the interrogation room & access the computer unnoticed was challenging but actually fathoming out how to target the blueprints I still found quite mind-boggling but a great puzzle! Also the optional Chinese box puzzle I enjoyed doing so much again.

I thought this section of the game could have been played in a few different ways with the exception of specific characters only being able to carry out certain tasks. 

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also have got to the next stopping point. All I am going to say is that the plot is starting to draw me in and I’m sure this game has a very interesting ending.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve reached the point for this week. Lots of good puzzles in this part

chrissie - 14 May 2016 01:43 PM

There were some great stand-alone puzzles too: trying to get the blueprints & having to work out distractions to get Ray to leave the interrogation room & access the computer unnoticed was challenging but actually fathoming out how to target the blueprints I still found quite mind-boggling but a great puzzle! Also the optional Chinese box puzzle I enjoyed doing so much again.

Also my favorites, figuring out how to get the blueprints using the calibration arm - awesome puzzle.
Once again, didn’t know the chinese box was optional until now. What is the other way to get the mastercard?

Also liked cracking the journal code, reminded me of a Under a Kiling Moon puzzle.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Both the calibration arm and the chinese box are excellent puzzles. The first one is perhaps the hardest in the game if you don’t get the logic behind it.

So, now that we have played a bit more, is someone of the characters your favourite? Smile

Also, since tomorrow is the deadline, how are the rest of you folks doing?

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Completely stuck! Think this is where I gave up on my first attempt at this game.  Meh

I seem to have done everything on Ray’s phone except acquiring the blueprints, need to find some leverage to get Tortoise to help?? What am I missing?

Guess the Chinese box puzzle is the Ornate safe at Tortoise Security with the coloured faces? What am I supposed to be doing there? Need something to see inside?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top