• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Sunday, 10 January

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Looking at that review: it’s a reasonably well written review, makes it clear that he liked the first game a lot and gives us some of the reasons he was so disappointed with the second. From what I remember of the game, I disagree hard - but that’s allowed. A reviewer may hate a game for the same reasons that will make me love it; conversely they may love pretty games with railroaded stories, interminable cut-scenes and only nominal puzzles. As long as the reasons are clear, that’s fine - a good reviewer can make that clear in a review (and thus make the review useful to me) even as they give the game completely the wrong mark Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Phlebas - 12 January 2016 05:17 AM

Looking at that review: it’s a reasonably well written review, makes it clear that he liked the first game a lot and gives us some of the reasons he was so disappointed with the second. From what I remember of the game, I disagree hard - but that’s allowed. A reviewer may hate a game for the same reasons that will make me love it; conversely they may love pretty games with railroaded stories, interminable cut-scenes and only nominal puzzles. As long as the reasons are clear, that’s fine - a good reviewer can make that clear in a review (and thus make the review useful to me) even as they give the game completely the wrong mark Smile

Yes, but a review must be more than that, otherwise the reviewer is just talking about him or herself. Assessing a game’s quality independently of liking/disliking it is imporrtant.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Yes, but a review must be more than that, otherwise the reviewer is just talking about him or herself. Assessing a game’s quality independently of liking/disliking it is imporrtant.

It might be important, but I’m not convinced it’s possible - how would you define a game’s quality in a way that didn’t come down to personal judgment? Even if we could come up with a list of objective criteria, the content of that list would be a personal judgment and subject to disagreement. There are probably games you love that I don’t just dislike but consider to be terrible games, and vice versa.

Surely we’re better off admitting that the review is a personal view, and actually reading the reasons the reviewer liked or disliked the game (or if you prefer, the reasons the reviewer considered the game to be an objectively good or bad game) - that way the review can be helpful (and hopefully also an entertaining read) for both of us.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I agree with Phlebas. Reviews are the opinion of the reviewer and are always going to be subjective despite all efforts for objectivity. But if the review makes it clear WHY the reviewer liked or disliked some elements, then that review is going to be informative.

Reviews are meant to be read. Sadly, all too often people just look at the score that was given and dub the review useless if they disagree.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Phlebas - 12 January 2016 06:09 AM

It might be important, but I’m not convinced it’s possible - how would you define a game’s quality in a way that didn’t come down to personal judgment?

Okay, here’s an example:

Puzzles
-Do they have enough clues to be able to solve logically?
-Are they well integrated into the story and not arbitrary or shoehorned (mini-games etc)?
-Is there a variety of puzzle type and difficulty?
-Are they enjoyable to solve and not tedious? (somewhat subjective)

See what I mean? Each can be more or less ranked from good to poor, so as to be informative to everyone.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 12 January 2016 07:14 AM

Reviews are the opinion of the reviewer and are always going to be subjective despite all efforts for objectivity.

Sure, I respect the reviewer’s decision to award the game 2 stars, but in retrospective, it bothers me that the lowest score on the internet to be found is coming from this site.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 12 January 2016 08:11 AM

Puzzles
-Do they have enough clues to be able to solve logically?

The reviewer could have difficulty with a puzzle because he missed a clue, or solve it easily without having found all clues. You’d still get a reviewer-dependent answer.

-Are they well integrated into the story and not arbitrary or shoehorned (mini-games etc)?

How well they are integrated into the story is subjective.

-Is there a variety of puzzle type and difficulty?

Difficulty is one of the most subjective things out there.

-Are they enjoyable to solve and not tedious? (somewhat subjective)

Very subjective. Not everyone enjoys the same types of puzzles, not everyone has the same quota for tedium.

See what I mean? Each can be more or less ranked from good to poor, so as to be informative to everyone.

Informative, yes. But still entirely subjective.

I see where you’re coming from with this, but objectivity in a review is going to be damn near impossible to achieve. That’s why it needs to be as informative as possible - so people can determine for themselves whether they’d like it or not, no matter how the reviewer feels…

diego - 12 January 2016 08:16 AM

Sure, I respect the reviewer’s decision to award the game 2 stars, but in retrospective, it bothers me that the lowest score on the internet to be found is coming from this site.

Meh, with the amount of reviews that AG makes, there are bound to be some that are the worst on the internet as well as some that are the best on the internet. Subjectivity at work. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

So it seems that we must conclude there’s no need to point out that a review is a poor review, as it is just subjective. It’s a bit like people saying a scientific statement is just another opinion. I myself don’t think subjectivity is the only issue here, but also the fact that most (or all) reviews are written by amateurs. Apart from this, the review in question is a bit cursory, to say the least.

I agree with what Oscar is trying to say though. There are relevant criteria and it is a matter of competence and wisdom (phronesis) to apply those well in writing a review.  But we know this is an old discussion (in literature, music etc), so I guess it is wise to stay away from it.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

mart - 12 January 2016 10:11 AM

So it seems that we must conclude there’s no need to point out that a review is a poor review, as it is just subjective. It’s a bit like people saying a scientific statement is just another opinion.

Am I reading this right? Are you seriously trying to say that a discussion a person’s emotional response to a creative work is like some sort of scientific statement??? That would be insane.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

mart - 12 January 2016 10:11 AM

So it seems that we must conclude there’s no need to point out that a review is a poor review, as it is just subjective.

No, you can still point out that a review is a poor one if it’s not informative. If it mentions that the puzzles are bad, for instance, but not why the reviewer thinks they’re bad, then it’s a bad review, imo.

but also the fact that most (or all) reviews are written by amateurs.

Actually, AG’s reviews compare rather favourably with most professional reviews, imo. I’ve read some horrendous reviews by professionals, and I feel that AG (even though the reviewers are amateurs) has pretty high editorial standards. Of course, YMMV.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 12 January 2016 10:50 AM

Actually, AG’s reviews compare rather favourably with most professional reviews, imo. I’ve read some horrendous reviews by professionals, and I feel that AG (even though the reviewers are amateurs) has pretty high editorial standards. Of course, YMMV.

From the reviews I’ve actually read I do for the most part agree but have said before that I have some concern over the games that get very low scores as it can kill sales as I’m aware that some gamers’ won’t entertain them although I’m sure this wouldn’t have affected BS2 with it being a sequel to a popular game.
I don’t even read reviews if I’m interested in the premise of a game as I will buy it anyway but if I’m teetering a good descriptive review will help me make a decision & I will read as many as I can from different sources but I know not everyone will. Also another problem I’ve encountered is a reviewer reporting bugs/glitches which I’ve not experienced myself in the same game so obviously a conflict with a particular system that perhaps should be investigated more before putting anyone off from buying the game?

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The argument was never that reviews are entirely subjective or objective (unless Phlebas was trying to say that).

It was that they should provide more than basic feelings about the game. I can hate Myst and still say it does a good job in making hot-spots stand out in the environment, provides unique and interesting environments to explore, and has an intriguing original story. Some will disagree with that, but most won’t.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

The BS2 review and many others were written in AG’s very early years, before the site really had anything much in the way of editorial standards. I’m not even sure the current scoring system was in place when some were originally written.

That was all way before my time, though. There are a lot of early reviews that wouldn’t get past the first draft stage anymore. I’d gladly even replace them if any of the current staff felt motivated to do a new one.

That said, disagreement about a score isn’t even on the LIST of any reason I’d consider for updating one. People should actually be grateful for reviews that go against the grain. Not as a matter of contrarian principle, but simply to offer a different perspective. I can pretty much guarantee that everyone in this thread feels there’s one “classic” adventure game that is grossly overrated. Wouldn’t it suck if no reviewer ever dared represent those viewpoints? (EDIT: Or non-classics that are underrated; works both ways.)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Jackal - 12 January 2016 02:57 PM

That said, disagreement about a score isn’t even on the LIST of any reason I’d consider for updating one.

Fair enough, but there’s another thing - that review was (like any other) meant to be read primarily before you actually play the game. But many reviews are also read afterwards. In that regard, and this may sound obnoxious, but I read that BS2 review only because it featured on this site, and I would have NEVER read it elsewhere on internet if I noticed the score of 2 stars! Simple enough - if the reviewer thinks that Broken Sword 2 deserves 2 stars there’s NOTHING in that review that might interest me! The fact that the reviewer gave 2 stars tells me:

A) The reviewer is such a “possessive” fan of Broken Sword 1, the he “used” his reviewer’s position to “punish” any changes that the sequel dared to apply
B) He is not a particular fan of adventure/comedy games

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Okay, sure, that’s a valid enough reaction to a review score for personal reasons. But it’s just as likely that others might be more inclined to read an outlier to see why there’s such a big discrepancy.

In either case, the point is ultimately moot. A reviewer simply can’t be concerned with who may or may not agree with their rating, particularly those who don’t even read the article. We’d never shy away from a “controversial” score for fear of not being part of a perceived consensus, nor would we ever deliberately post one just as clickbait. If people choose not to read, that’s entirely their prerogative. We can only do our part.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top