• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shardlight

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

just beat the game, it is very avg.

loved the art, animation, voice acting, and music, but the puzzles were way too easy, and by the end the game turned into a telltale game with basically no puzzles. The story was cliched and I thought the writing was avg to pretty bad. overall a decent game but not worth full price remotely, I give it a 7/10

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

For any Norwegians reading this, there’s a review at Spillhistorie.no: http://spillhistorie.no/2016/03/16/inntrykk-shardlight/

Fairly strong recommendation.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Finished the game. Like Grundislav’s previous game, A Golden Wake, it starts off very promising. The atmosphere is very good and the world at first really grabs you in.

But, like Golden wake, the pacing is off and the second part of the game is a let down and I completely agree with Adventure Gamers review that Tiberius and Danton are too manichean and not developed enough as characters. It’s certainly progress compared to A Golden Wake but it’s still not as good as Technobabylon, Gemini Rue, Emerald City Confidential or the Blackwell serie. And it cannot compare at all to Beneath a Steel Sky which is the reference in this particular story genre.

Art is fantastic, voice acting really fits very well with the characters. I loved the voice of Amy and there’s really a lot to like about the game but there’s just a problem with the story development…

Puzzle wise, it’s really on the easy side but that doesn’t bother me too much.

That said, I don’t regret preordering it (unlike A Golden Wake) and I still give it 3.5/5

By the way, I’m curious if people who finished it think the world makes sense?

The Aristocracy is hoarding vaccines even though they have enough for the entire population. I believe this makes no sense.

It could make sense for them to only give vaccines in exchange for doing a dangerous unwanted work a certain amount of time since those jobs need to be done anyhow. But it doesn’t make sense to condemn to death the portion of the population that does such a job. And having a lottery to get a vaccine when a vaccine is only valid for a month, means that anyone infected will die sooner or later since they cannot hope to win the lottery often enough to get their required dose.

Additionally, rich people would want to eventually have a life around the same level as they had before the blast. For this you need people that are healthy who can grow more food, help kickstart a new industry and so on. Not having the vaccine interferes with that and mean that the Aristocrats will have less luxuries.

One argument given by the game is that Tiberius is crazy and is scared of having another war again with similar consequences if the country is prosperous again but since he is not the only higher up in that society, it doesn’t seem to make sense that all the ministers would decide to enforce the same rules regarding the vaccine.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

giom - 20 March 2016 10:01 PM

Finished the game. Like Grundislav’s previous game, A Golden Wake, it starts off very promising. The atmosphere is very good and the world at first really grabs you in.

But, like Golden wake, the pacing is off and the second part of the game is a let down and I completely agree with Adventure Gamers review that Tiberius and Danton are too manichean and not developed enough as characters. It’s certainly progress compared to A Golden Wake but it’s still not as good as Technobabylon, Gemini Rue, Emerald City Confidential or the Blackwell serie. And it cannot compare at all to Beneath a Steel Sky which is the reference in this particular story genre.

Art is fantastic, voice acting really fits very well with the characters. I loved the voice of Amy and there’s really a lot to like about the game but there’s just a problem with the story development…

Puzzle wise, it’s really on the easy side but that doesn’t bother me too much.

That said, I don’t regret preordering it (unlike A Golden Wake) and I still give it 3.5/5

The Aristocracy is hoarding vaccines even though they have enough for the entire population. I believe this makes no sense.

It could make sense for them to only give vaccines in exchange for doing a dangerous unwanted work a certain amount of time since those jobs need to be done anyhow. But it doesn’t make sense to condemn to death the portion of the population that does such a job. And having a lottery to get a vaccine when a vaccine is only valid for a month, means that anyone infected will die sooner or later since they cannot hope to win the lottery often enough to get their required dose.

Additionally, rich people would want to eventually have a life around the same level as they had before the blast. For this you need people that are healthy who can grow more food, help kickstart a new industry and so on. Not having the vaccine interferes with that and mean that the Aristocrats will have less luxuries.

One argument given by the game is that Tiberius is crazy and is scared of having another war again with similar consequences if the country is prosperous again but since he is not the only higher up in that society, it doesn’t seem to make sense that all the ministers would decide to enforce the same rules regarding the vaccine.

the more I think about it the less I like this game, a lot of the dialogue is badly written and I see plot holes everywhere, and plot threads that either dont add up or make very little sense at all. the best parts about the game are the art design and the voice acting

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

giom - 20 March 2016 10:01 PM

The way I see it, then there were two reasons for hoarding the vaccine.

1) The vaccine doesn’t cure the disease, instead you will need to take at regular intervals for the rest of your life. They have enough vaccines to give to everybody, but only for a limited time, or they can stockpile it and have enough for the select few for several hundred years.

2) Green lung disease is one of the method the aristocracy uses to keep the masses oppressed. If they just gave the vaccine to everybody that needs it, then they would loose a very important tool and power over the masses.

It might not be perfect explanations, and there is probably some holes in the logic, but compared to what else we see in games, then I have no problem with it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Yes, I agree with you about not giving it to everyone. What I don’t get is why restrict so much that even people participating in the lottery are likely to die anyway. They could instead just give it regularly every month to people doing dangerous or unwanted jobs and this would boost the economy and allow the aristocracy to better their quality of life.

But yes, the more I think about the game, the more I think the world and the story was not well thought out. It’s a pity because story and world are a trademark of Wadjet eye games.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

giom - 22 March 2016 10:58 AM

Yes, I agree with you about not giving it to everyone. What I don’t get is why restrict so much that even people participating in the lottery are likely to die anyway. They could instead just give it regularly every month to people doing dangerous or unwanted jobs and this would boost the economy and allow the aristocracy to better their quality of life.

Possibly that would also allow a sustained revolutionary force to be established against them, like Danton’s. But you’re right, they could have easily expanded on this. I think in the end they just decided to make Tiberius crazy, which he clearly is. Personally I don’t think the world is crazy enough - I was surprised to see schools still operating. Why? Seems like a waste of time when people have trouble just surviving. Better to let your child scavenge for food than learn mathematics.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

giom - 22 March 2016 10:58 AM

But yes, the more I think about the game, the more I think the world and the story was not well thought out. It’s a pity because story and world are a trademark of Wadjet eye games.

what did you guys think of the reaper subplot, I thought it was an interesting setup with the cult and religious undertones, but the conclusion to that subplot left me scratching my head and very underwhelmed and I will explain why

Like I said I love the setup to the cult and could even understand how a religion like this gained popularity in this post apocalyptic future, but did anybody really by the doctor dressing up as the reaper I mean really. what is he a post apocalyptic batman lol, really it was ludicrous. on top of that the technology consistency of this world was al over the place, for instance the country was sent back a couple of 100 yrs after the nukes dropped,bc the guards were using muskets and bayonets but the doctor aka the reaper had wings and a jetpack of some sort, and tiny surveillance cameras in the ravens that still some how worked, yeah oooooooooooooooooooooook lol. going to a different plot pt real quick one reason tyberious did not want to share the vaccine was bc he thought his country would rebuild and become a global power again and he was worried that another country would try and take them out again and history would repeat itself. my question is once again the govt seemed to only have muskets and bayonets in its current state so why has no another country already took over these lands by now anyways; his logic made zero sense there, once again poor writing.

plus the puzzle design was just plain bad for instance the chalkboard puzzle was a good setup, but it was so finicky I had to draw the picture 4 times for the game to accept it, even though I knew what it was suppose to say. in fact even without drawing the picture it was pretty easy to figure out the password.Also this game has to have the record for the most times one single item was used for so many different puzzles. seriously how many times was the crossbow used, at least 5 to 6 I believe, maybe more, and in this future who designed where all these buttons were placed, must have been giants, bc every button, lever, and lamp was out of reach. Plus the devs didnt account for multiply solutions for the same problem spoiler incoming after you arrive in the quaratine zone you have to get the crossbow back to escape thru a dead body shoot, but you also have an amputated arm in your inventory at the time, that should have been able to be used to press said high button instead of the bow, and the devs didnt account for that easy solution for that problem.

like I said the game had really good bones but very sloppy execution, just a massive letdown after I just played technobabylon.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top