• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shardlight

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Mike the Wino - 01 March 2016 03:55 PM

More like an interactive teaser, really.

So… an accurate representation of the game then?

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Antrax - 01 March 2016 11:08 PM
Mike the Wino - 01 March 2016 03:55 PM

More like an interactive teaser, really.

So… an accurate representation of the game then?

If I had to guess, it (the demo) was probably the first few minutes of gameplay from the finished product. A couple fairly easy puzzles to get things started, and some interaction with another character. Then it cut to a trailer-like synopsis of what the game is supposed to be about. So if by “accurate representation of the game” you mean “does it give you a good feel for the actual gameplay”, then I’d say yes. The demo was short, but it played a lot like many (all?) of the other Wadjet Eye games with the same type (excellent) pixel art, spot-on voice acting, and what seems to be a compelling story so far.

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s up on gog!

http://www.gog.com/game/shardlight

Some positive reviews going around (including RPS! Shocking Smile )

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

It’s up on Steam, too. Wish I’d known it was going to be on GOG before I pre-purchased it for Steam through Humble Bundle…my mistake for not checking!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Mr Underhill - 08 March 2016 03:27 PM

RPS gave it a good review, too.

Oh and it`s written by John Walker Wink

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Ahenobarbus - 08 March 2016 03:35 PM

Yeah, and he snuck a sneaky jab at Doomsday in, too - I was just afraid to mention it because things get pretty heated when you combine John Walker and Deponia in your inventory Laughing.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Mr Underhill - 08 March 2016 03:37 PM
Ahenobarbus - 08 March 2016 03:35 PM

Yeah, and he snuck a sneaky jab at Doomsday in, too - I was just afraid to mention it because things get pretty heated when you combine John Walker and Deponia in your inventory Laughing.

Grin Try to combine Deponia-inventory item with John Walker-inventory item and you`ll have a real Doomsday inventory item in your hands Grin

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished Shardlight.
Another good game by Wadjet Eye, mostly because of the good story and world building, but they are trademarks now. The protagonist is very good and the antagonist is iconic enough. Lots of interesting side characters, specially everything concerning the Reaper The visuals with the shades of green look splendid and the voice acting is usual Wadjet Eye good quality. Nice soundtrack also.

I do feel the puzzle design is a bit iffy, the only puzzle I really liked one of the first ones, figuring out the secret code to enter the rebels place. After that it felt they were artificially introduced most of the times because they had to have them. And at the last part of the game its mostly just shoot the crossbow at everything.
Amy is the best crossbow shooter ever, she just hits everything at first try! Smile

So, very solid fast-paced adventure, definitely worth playing even if I don’t think it’s as strong as Gemini Rue or Primordia.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

wilco - 12 March 2016 07:24 AM

I do feel the puzzle design is a bit iffy, the only puzzle I really liked one of the first ones, figuring out the secret code to enter the rebels place. After that it felt they were artificially introduced most of the times because they had to have them. And at the last part of the game its mostly just shoot the crossbow at everything.
Amy is the best crossbow shooter ever, she just hits everything at first try! Smile

I agree. Too many buttons placed high just to give you the opportunity to use the crossbow. Why would anyone place several utility buttons so high out of reach? I did like the game, though.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Ahenobarbus - 08 March 2016 03:41 PM

Grin Try to combine Deponia-inventory item with John Walker-inventory item and you`ll have a real Doomsday inventory item in your hands Grin

Late day trolling, mumbling, and babbling (and bad rhyming):

Love to mix my drink with much of pepper,
so dull reflections to my moves at poker.

I am no Iyov, my words ain’t proper,
hard time Cocker, and claim to be proper.

Certainly a grumbler and an old time stalker,
a hot shot case or a one star Johnny Walker.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Good game. Loved the graphic design and music. Puzzles on the easy side suiting the pacing but unfortunately almost non-existent in the latter half, and the story kind of flickered out into nothing. I wasn’t particularly invested in the characters either, but you could say that’s appropriate for the setting.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I also just finished the game, and I have to say that I’m a little bit disappointed.

It is not a bad game, just not quite as good as I had hoped and have come to expect from games published by Wadjet Eye. The puzzles are on the easy side, with only one single really good one, and they are almost completely absent from the last part.

There is a lot of interesting characters, and I especially liked the whole Reaper part and the main protagonist, but apart from that then I also found that it was very black & white, sometimes almost primitive or childlike in the way the story was told, and I was never really as invested in the story as I normally are in Wadjet games. Also the three different endings was imo somewhat superfluous, and didn’t really add to the ending.

All in all a solid game and worth both the money and time, but not the best published by Wadjet Eye.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Gamespot review. No prizes to guess the score.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/shardlight-review/1900-6416383/

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

Probably totally irrelevant, but at times I couldn’t help thinking of Hero’s Quest: a fair-haired adventurer in a travel cloak is walking around, climbing everything he/she can and throwing rocks shooting bolts at everything.

But the artists of the old VGA games knew exactly what can and what cannot be done with the 320x200 resolution. Shardlight tries to do too much and squeeze too much detail into the picture. Sometimes the result of that is blurry or pixellated blobs (depending on your filter settings), and you have to strain your eyes to identify the objects.

Looking at it another way: they created some great art, in particular the propaganda posters. But you have to go to the bonus content in the game to get some idea of what the posters are supposed to look like. And to really appreciate them, you have to look at the extras bundled with the game. That’s kind of sad.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top