• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

gabriel knight 2

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Had to wait for Gabe Knight 2. It was refused classification in Australia because I don’t know… we’ve always been weary of anything canine related after a dingo ate someone’s baby.

Was so excited to pick this up off Sierra’s website back in the early ‘00s. I remember playing the trailer over and over again off another game’s CD. “Are you the Schattenjager or are you not?”

Might be dated today as some of the performers clearly have no business acting but it’s still good fun. The soundtrack remains timeless. 

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If only they’ve had a differen actor as Gabe. While Ericson looked the part he’s pretty terrible actor, which sticks out even worse in contrast to the NPC cast that is pretty great for a 90’s FMV game.

He does get a bit better towards the end, but it’s no surprise he never did make it even as a d-list actor.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

tomimt - 11 April 2016 05:34 AM

He does get a bit better towards the end, but it’s no surprise he never did make it even as a d-list actor.

Yeah, like that’s important for the FMV game - all the best FMVs (Black Dahlia, Ripper, GK2, Tex Murphys, Phantasmagoria…) had the D-list actors in the main roles.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

diego - 11 April 2016 05:59 AM

Yeah, like that’s important for the FMV game - all the best FMVs (Black Dahlia, Ripper, GK2, Tex Murphys, Phantasmagoria…) had the D-list actors in the main roles.

There’s surprisingly many pretty good actors in the FMV games. Considering the bad rep the acting usually has, because of gems like Plumbers Wear no Ties and the like, there’s a lot of actors in them that did a solid career in TV. The supporting cast in GK2 is pretty solid IMO and Tex games always had actors in them who knew how to ham it up just in the right way.

The worst, like Erickson, didn’t even manage to get in SyFy channels low budget movies. And a lot of those accept pretty much anyone.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

tomimt - 11 April 2016 06:31 AM

The worst, like Erickson, didn’t even manage to get in SyFy channels low budget movies. And a lot of those accept pretty much anyone.

Did you ever think he didn’t have that kind of an ambition?! I’m not talking about the supporting cast, I’m giving you an example that all the best FMVs of all time had “non-actors” in the main roles and it didn’t seem to bother them becoming classics.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

diego - 11 April 2016 07:02 AM

Did you ever think he didn’t have that kind of an ambition?! I’m not talking about the supporting cast, I’m giving you an example that all the best FMVs of all time had “non-actors” in the main roles and it didn’t seem to bother them becoming classics.

But Chris Jones, despite not beaing an actor, knew his own limitations. He knew that he’d work if he’d just kept hamming it up and leve the real acting to more experienced people. Erickson on the other hand was way over his head trying to cope with material that would have needed some one with actual range.

It’s not his fault mind you. He was probably cast as he was cheap and was willing to do the extra work needed for the charcaters sprites and all. But that doesn’t really mean that he should have been cast.

And I’d be willing to bet he had ambition to be something as an actor. He just found out pretty soon that he wasn’t very good at it, which just makes him smart as he was able to move on from that.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

tomimt - 11 April 2016 07:12 AM

And I’d be willing to bet he had ambition to be something as an actor.

That’s just you guessing.

tomimt - 11 April 2016 07:12 AM

He just found out pretty soon that he wasn’t very good at it, which just makes him smart as he was able to move on from that.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about - you don’t have to be a damn good actor in order for a game to be good! Wink

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

diego - 11 April 2016 07:15 AM

That’s exactly what I’m talking about - you don’t have to be a damn good actor in order for a game to be good! Wink

But you have to be if you want to be good in actual acting parts of the game. As a sprite I have nothing against him.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Dean Erikson interview somewhat relevant to the discussion:

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/interviews/206/

So, I left Wall Street and stumbled upon acting. I actually took an acting class to become more comfortable in people-oriented situations, because I anticipated raising money for a hedge fund that I would manage. For better or worse, I enjoyed the class so much, and felt like it gave me an opportunity to learn about myself and have some fun at the same time, that I veered off, career-wise, toward acting. Once I found acting, I wanted to be good at it, because that’s always my desire and because people who would be watching me deserved my best. Studying with working actors like Uta Hagen, Victor Garber, and Anne Jackson, among others, was also inspirational, because you knew from their passion that the calling was, at its best, bigger than themselves. It could be a gift to others. That’s what I wanted my acting performances to be. You’re contacting me ten years after we did Gabriel Knight 2, so maybe my performance made some impact on somebody. That is reassuring and hopeful.

What other acting roles had you had after The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery? Was this the only acting role you had in a video game?

The only things I’ve done since GK2 are a couple of plays. I’ve played the title roles in Hamlet and Macbeth. I’ve pretty much done what I’ve needed to do in acting, so I no longer pursue acting work. It doesn’t seem to be pursuing me either, so the business and I see eye-to-eye.

Smile

I’m more stunned Grace continued acting

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

So I was right about him having some ambitions in the field after all Grin

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 11 April 2016 07:56 AM

I’m more stunned Grace continued acting

Me too! She was incredibly bad. Erickson’s performance was brilliant compared to her.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I agree while I dont think dean did a good job and seemed like a completely different gabe than what we got in gk1 he was head and shoulders above grace. I also agree that the supporting cast for the most part was very good and hammed it up in just the right way, especially the villagers. Like I said I dont think gk2 holds a candle to gk1 but it is still a solid adventure game overall.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

tomimt - 11 April 2016 05:34 AM

If only they’ve had a differen actor as Gabe. While Ericson looked the part he’s pretty terrible actor, which sticks out even worse in contrast to the NPC cast that is pretty great for a 90’s FMV game.

oh to me there is one series that had the most A list cast out of all the fmv games, and those games are the wing the commander series/ wing commander privateer

those games had mark hamill aka luke skywalker, tim curry, christopher walken, clive owens, josh lucas, thomas wilson aka biff from back to the future, Malcolm Mcdowell from clockwork orange, and john rhys-davies from lord of the rings, and many others that you would recognize from tv and movies

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I used to love FMV adventure games, with GK 2 being the best of the bunch.

Contradiction was pure joy to me because it was a return to this beloved genre.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I don’t really remember Takahashi who played Grace, so she probably wasn’t anything spectacular either. From the looks of her IMDb resume she hasn’t really been that busy either, though she did have a bit longer run in the movies and TV-series.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top