• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

gabriel knight 2

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

For me Gabriel Knight 2 represents the very best of Sierra, and it’s right up there in my favorite Top 3, together with Broken Sword 1 and The Longest Journey.

Oddly enough, I very much preferred days 3 and 5 over the days with Grace. I liked the “investigative” parts a bit better than the “research” moments. Yes, the werewolf is a bit weird in 2015, but again, remember in 1995 it looked pretty scary and not that fake, because there weren’t photorealistic games around back then.

Especially Day 4 is hard to get through, especially on the xth number of playthroughs.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Replaying this for the first time in over 15 (?) years because of this thread. I really had forgotten almost all of it, so the replay value is very much there for me, and I’m really liking it (and for the record, I’m not quite through with chapter 3 yet).

A couple observations that are coming back to me:

I much prefer Tim’s character of Gabe to Dean’s. I realize part of that is due to the limitations of FMV back when it was made, but it just seems Dean tends to be so…dramatic...about every little action or dialog. For example, how many people react the way he does when walking into a post office, like he’s under surveillance or something. He’s like, “OMG, I feel the need to emote!” And this “overacting” happens a lot.

Also, regarding the Baron’s character, I’d forgotten how much it seemed to me (when I first played GK2) that von Glower really had the hots for Gabe, almost like he was hitting on him. How he decried the idea of having a wife and/or kids, and the (not so?) subtle innuendo behind the furtive glances and double holding of Gabe’s hand as he got up to leave. And Gabe being so macho and chauvinistic and all it seemed strange he wasn’t the least bit taken aback by the Baron’s approach, not that Gabe is homophobic (from what I recall). I don’t know if that was intentional, or if JJ was just trying to give him (von Glower) a mysterious persona or what. And maybe as I get further into the game my perception of his intentions will change….maybe it only happened that one time?

And for someone who seemingly abhors Gabe as much as Grace does, man can she be a jealous biatch! The way she treats Gerde is like watching a cat fight gearing up. I instantly disliked her when she first got to Schloss Ritter.

I realize the things I’ve mentioned all sound like negatives, but they’re really not. It wouldn’t be nearly the excellent game that it is (was) if those things were done much differently.

Anyway Jdawg, thanks for posting! I’d been contemplating what game to replay, and this thread pushed me in a really good direction!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Mike the Wino - 16 October 2015 05:24 PM

Also, regarding the Baron’s character, I’d forgotten how much it seemed to me (when I first played GK2) that von Glower really had the hots for Gabe, almost like he was hitting on him. How he decried the idea of having a wife and/or kids, and the (not so?) subtle innuendo behind the furtive glances and double holding of Gabe’s hand as he got up to leave. And Gabe being so macho and chauvinistic and all it seemed strange he wasn’t the least bit taken aback by the Baron’s approach, not that Gabe is homophobic (from what I recall). I don’t know if that was intentional, or if JJ was just trying to give him (von Glower) a mysterious persona or what.

It’s intentional. Below is an excerpt from an old Just Adventure interview with Jane Jensen, which I’ll spoiler tag in case anyone reading this thread didn’t finish the game:

[spoiler]Just Adventure: Rabid Gabriel Knight fans have argued the sexual preferences of von Glower for years. Is there any validity to these rumors, or are the fans reading more into the character than you intended?
Jane Jensen: Part of the interesting thing about werewolvery as a theme is that it’s about primitive, carnal appetite. When I developed GK2, I was trying to express that in as many ways as I could—gluttony, drink, sexual appetite—a kind of voracious approach to life. In a word, hedonism. To me, von Glower was a character who was open to any and all forms of pleasure, though he had pretty refined tastes. And (to get blunt now) bisexuality implies an “anytime, anywhere, anyone” hyper-sexuality. That fit with the vision of the werewolf I had in mind. No morals, completely guided by instinct and desire.[/spoiler]

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Caliburn - 16 October 2015 07:08 PM

It’s intentional. Below is an excerpt from an old Just Adventure interview with Jane Jensen, which I’ll spoiler tag in case anyone reading this thread didn’t finish the game.

Thanks, Caliburn. Fascinating. Thanks for the link to the interview!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, thanks for the link. Very interesting to say the least. I’ve got to replay this game again soon.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

well just beat it I give the blending of the history and in game fiction a 9 outta 10. the actual in game fiction such as characters, dialogue, and acting a 6 outta 10. I never connected with this version of gabe or grace, the characters I did connect some with were von glower, the guy that ran the pub, gabe’s lawyers, and gerde (in fact I think the story would have been better if it was gabe and gerde instead of grace. those two actors seemed to have a lot better chemistry together, than gabe and grace). The puzzle design also suffered bc of the fmv. On the final chapter I had to use a walkthrough not bc I was stuck really but bc I couldnt find the tape, and pilot light on the furnace. it took pixel hunting to a whole new level of frustrating sometimes. My belief that wing commander 3 and wing commander 4 as the only great fmv games still holds true to me. After day 4 it was all downhill from there in my opinion. the acting got worse, the wolves looked terrible and the puzzles got dumber and dumber. Overall I give this game a 7.5 outta 10. so not a bad entry to the series but the original blows it outta the water, plus I found the ending of gk2 to also be really boring and a let down from the great gk1 ending. I have a suspicion that the book novelization of this game is far better than the actual game. still saying all this Im very excited to play gk3 one day soon

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 09 November 2015 06:30 PM

I have a suspicion that the book novelization of this game is far better than the actual game.

No it is not.

IMO. IMO. IMO.  Innocent

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also would rate the game a 9 out of 10. One of the greatest if not the greatest FMV adventure game. Worth the 33 dollars I paid for it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Well, I am perhaps the only person who found that the (cheesy at best) acting of GK2 less annoying than the attrocious and lifeless voice acting of Tim Curry in GK1.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 10 November 2015 03:17 AM
Jdawg445 - 09 November 2015 06:30 PM

I have a suspicion that the book novelization of this game is far better than the actual game.

No it is not.

IMO. IMO. IMO.  Innocent

I will prob still read it anyways. Like I said I really enjoyed the first half of the game, it still was not as good as gk1 to me but close. the last 2 and a half chapters were a real let down. to me the acting went from being kind of cheesy bad in a fun way to pretty unbearable. It just felt really rushed, the only scene I really like at the end of the game was the opera scene. I thought that was really cool and inventive. the puzzle design throughout the game was lack luster and I think it was due to fmv limitations and budget. I loved gabe’s day one investigation, but after that he felt less like a detective and more just a man who happened upon things. Even though I hated grace in this game; rather it be due to the poor writing or bad acting or a mixture of both, I found her days to be far more interesting. I notice among most gk2 threads this is split down the middle rather they like grace or gabe’s side better. I will admit that after multiply play throughs I can see why her side can become tedious, but since this was my first and prob last time playing this game, I enjoyed her investigation better. Where I disagree with strongly is with jane’s writing as it pertains to dialogue, I think she writes stiff and un natural dialogue; which I admit was hurt even worse by the acting and perhaps the direction from the director. her greatest strength to me is blending fiction and non fiction aka world building, she is amazing at that. I loved her take on the werewolves mythology and what she did with voodoo in gk1 both equally amazing.

so in closing this game was worth the 2 dollars but in this one gamers opinion, this was not a bad game at all, but def a huge letdown from the first game Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jdawg445 - 10 November 2015 09:35 AM

so in closing this game was worth the 2 dollars but

This made me laugh. Tongue

Gotta love them GOG deals. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 10 November 2015 10:07 AM
Jdawg445 - 10 November 2015 09:35 AM

so in closing this game was worth the 2 dollars but

This made me laugh. Tongue

Gotta love them GOG deals. Cool

lol wow that sounded harsh not the way I meant it. Im just saying I dont regret the 2 dollars I spent. even up to 30 dollars would have been fine anything over that and ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

monkeyislandneverpaymorethan20bucksforagame.jpg

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

wilco - 10 November 2015 10:40 AM

monkeyislandneverpaymorethan20bucksforagame.jpg

lol, its hard to spend that much now with all these sales. I remember when I was a kid, I basically got 2 to three games a yr. now with these flash sales, you can get 10 games for 10 bucks lol. although I made a promise to myself that I will not play more than three games at a time and I have to beat at least one of those to start a new one. I finished gabe kinght 2, so now playing knights of the old republic 2, dragon age 2, and grandia 2. lots of 2nds in the gaming series. im getting close to beating grandia 2.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

My friend and I have agreed last night to play GK2 for the first time.  I’m so excited.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top