• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #12 - Surface: The Noise She Couldn’t Make

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 05 September 2015 07:43 AM

......... I found the whole ending to be very .. eh .. tame, I think tame is the right word. [spoiler]

Yes, I would agree that tame is the right word!

Iznogood - 05 September 2015 07:43 AM

It is like they had originally planned for something much darker, and then they chickened out and decided to make it more kid friendly instead - or perhaps it is just me that was hoping for something darker?
Either way, I’m not a big fan of the ending. I still think that it had an interesting concept, and that it isn’t a bad game overall, but it could have been more than what it was.

I can’t imagine a Casual Games developer chickening out as the nature of most of them is to be kid friendly! But yes, it would be great if CGs did get darker but would they need to provide some age classification?
I think this game was very well done, quite deep & thoughtful for the most part providing a good balance between HO scenes, puzzles & story (within the constraints), & has progressed from the earlier CGs where there were weak tokenistic tales, not worth bothering with, only providing a flimsy background/excuse /purpose to/for the array of HO scenes & puzzles in the games.   

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished the game. The ending was both abrupt and moderately un-satisfying. Although in both categories I’ve experienced worse.

The uncle is going to jail. Elizabeth is still alive. Hard to complain about that outcome. Will the uncle get what he deserves for all the things we imagine he did? Probably not. But that’s not terribly different from what happens in real life. The murderer goes to jail for 25 years. Not exactly a fair trade.

If you want to play a game that deals with very adult subjects, try Echoes of Sorrow. It deals in a convincing, but non-salacious manner, child molestation, stalking, erroneous execution, retribution and redemption.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the game, and watched the bonus content on this YouTube video (sadly, with bad sound).

I agree with Izno that the ending is very tame, and the worst part is that the bonus content is similar: another trauma from her past, related to the sea, and a captain and instead of a dad who was lost at sea or something similar, it’s just a grandfather who was a captain who lost all contact with her.
Same deal with the dog: instead of being killed by the uncle, he’s just sedated and kept locked up. I don’t even see how Jane/Elizabeth/Liza can even think that the dog was dead if it was just kept sedated in the backyard.
Also, about her uncle: whatever they’re implying, besides keeping her away from her grandfather, tranquillizing her dog, and being after her inheritance, he hasn’t actually done anything to her physically - the nurse was adamant: there was NOTHING wrong with her.
It’s like they were shunning away from everything that might be considered darker or more adult. A crying shame, as the lacklustre ending hurts an otherwise excellent game. And we didn’t even get a proper explanation for all the medical conditions… Frown

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

chrissie - 05 September 2015 01:54 PM

You got off light there Lady Kestrel ! because I tried to replay Chapter 4 earlier, it froze & on getting the game back I was thrown back to the beginning of the game on all of the profiles I’d set up bar one which just took me to the end of the bonus chapter (aaaaaagh!)  Luckily I’d captured some screenshots on previous playthroughs which I will post in a few days when everyone seems to be finished.

Another reason for these games to have a manual save feature. I once asked why all casual games seem to have autosave-only, and the answer was that manual saves were too difficult/complicated for the players to deal with. The same players who love solving puzzles apparently can’t deal with a small increase in interface complexity.

Naughty

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Finished second chapter now, I’ll try to get the third one done tomorrow.

TimovieMan - 01 September 2015 04:15 PM
Iznogood - 01 September 2015 11:51 AM

I really like the whole concept of entering somebody’s mind, ... Perhaps a bit funnier if it is your own my (like in The Next Big Thing)

Entering your own mind? Malkovich Malkovich! Cool

Yeah, Being John Malkovich is definitely a great movie and I’m using it in my blog for the the 90s movies posts still.

TimovieMan - 01 September 2015 04:15 PM

One personality being hostile to another personality in the hopes of taking over is not that uncommon in fiction. Mr. Hyde takes over Dr. Jekyll, for instance, and the same goes for the “remake” The Nutty Professor (both the So there Jerry Lewis and Eddie Murphy versions). And have you seen Identity? Even Gollum/Sméagol qualifies.
And it doesn’t end in fiction as there have been reported cases of dissociative identity disorder patients where a secondary personality tried to kill the primary self (without realizing that success means their death as well).

I think purely psychological answer might be very possible here (and the only supernatural thing is the player adventuring in someone’s mind) because yes, a personality might be unaware that they’re killing themselves as well. Or it could also be that the struggle of the two personalities are the cause of her physical condition and if Noise would win, she would gain full control of Jane’s body, possibly by being resuscitated.

But I’m still pretty much 50/50 on the supernatural/psychological part. There are definitely hints towards psychological issues so even if Noise was supernatural, Jane probably still has mental issues that I hope will be addressed.

And I also kinda dig the cheesy FMV. I wish the game would be more disturbing actually, but it’s pretty entertaining like this as well.

As for the gameplay, I’m pretty impressed. The few HO-scenes don’t bother me one bit because they’re super easy and you can already spot them coming from mile away. The other puzzles are very good, and very suitable in difficulty - for a casual game. Maybe a tad too easy if one would think about full fledged adventure. I really had no need to use any hints what-so-ever and I think I enjoyed every puzzle in the second chapter. I’m playing on average difficulty, if that makes any difference.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 06 September 2015 08:24 AM

Also, about her uncle: whatever they’re implying, besides keeping her away from her grandfather, tranquillizing her dog, and being after her inheritance, he hasn’t actually done anything to her physically - the nurse was adamant: there was NOTHING wrong with her.

Yeah, we can of course imagine all sort of things that he could have done to her, but the game doesn’t really support any of that, in fact it more or less directly tells us, that he hasn’t done any of those things.

In fact the ending felt very much 19th century, with the inheritance being the key element, and not like a modern 21st century story.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 07 September 2015 09:24 AM

In fact the ending felt very much 19th century, with the inheritance being the key element, and not like a modern 21st century story.

My thought here was that it doesn’t matter what century it is & that what can be gleaned from an inheritance is as relevant today in this modern age as it was in the 19th century

I can’t disagree that the ending of the game was lame & that there was no evidence to support that there was anything physically wrong with Liza but there is such a thing as psychosomatic where your brain can take control…......& don’t forget in what environment you’re playing!

Maybe in the real world Liza’s uncle is as cowardly as she is but the dog didn’t like him so he’s sedated it - but Liza seems to have lived from childhood to her teens with no love or nurturing & for some time in fear.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This is an older game, and for a long time HO games hesitated to cover really dark themes like child abuse. It’s possible that after the SE was finished, the devs (or Big Fish) became concerned that leaving things up to the player’s imagination (the sort of interpretation I came up with, for instance) would upset too many players. So maybe they “walked it back” a bit in the Bonus chapter.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Perhaps my expectations of what you can expect story-wise from a casual game is simply too high, but I thought this one started fairly good and then disappointed in the end.

Anyway, I mainly popped in to thank Chrissie for leading this, and congratulate you on successfully leading your first community playthrough. (I remember that I was also very nervous before leading my first CPT)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Chapter 3:

Nothing new really revealed here, except for more pointing towards split personality. And some questions about the dog. But it was a nice section. I really liked the dolphins and the band.

I solved the diamond puzzle but it did take me a bit longer than the rest of the puzzles. I solved it pretty much from bottom to top. I just rotated the pieces again and around until I got them to the right angle. Initially it seemed really hard but once I got the hang of it, I just clicked it away.

Still need another night or two to finish the game.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ll conclude the game within the next couple of days to give millennia a chance to finish, & post a few screenshots of the last chapter then meanwhile….... if anyone has played the bonus chapter feel free to discuss/comment as I’ll add some pics from that also!

Thank you for you very nice words Izno!

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t buy into the concept that the game’s designers/developers were afraid that the game was too dark, and “backed off.” The last playthrough, FACES, had its fair share of dark elements. The only backing of the designer’s did was at the very end. And I think that only happened because they wanted to leave open the opportunity of a sequel. I can think of a number of other games that came out around the same time that didn’t feel the need to tip toe around uncomfortable situations.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m finished. I agree with everyone else that the ending was a bit of a let down and overall the game was very tame.

In the beginning with the blacked out photograph I was instantly thinking about sexual abuse and a split personality born from that. That cliche would have been better to be honest. As it is now, the uncle was mean, and… nothing.

The final section of the game didn’t sit well with the puzzles either. All those silly tricks and finding pieces of puzzles inside someone’s mind totally make sense but how on earth would you dig up a piece of wire from a compost (or pile of whatever) and why would anyone scatter these things around in the first place?

The gameplay is still the strongest aspect of the game. And some of the lovely sceneries inside the patient’s head. It’s too bad that the ending did water things down so much.

I didn’t like the death of Noise and I would really have hoped to find some decent skeletons in the end. Literally or figuratively speaking.

I was wondering why the characters were so out of sync with the voice but it seemed that the English voice actors were different people than the actual faces we see in FMV. So that pretty much explains it. And I think a huge deal of the whole overacting feeling came from the voices. The characters might have seemed somewhat subtler with different voices.

All in all, I’m still happy I participated (even though late once again) and thanks to Chrissie for leading.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hopefully everyone has completed the game by now & I think most played the SE version. I enjoyed reading all of the thoughtful comments ........ yes, it was an interesting concept & while I still believe that even if Liza was possibly subjected to years of ‘mental abuse’ rather than violence I can’t disagree that the problem with the uncle wasn’t well addressed & did come across as lame! 

To conclude the playthrough, thanks all for taking part & here are quite a few screenshots from the final chapter followed by a little bit about the CE bonus chapter. 

BONUS CHAPTER
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD! if you want to play it yourself!
Briefly (as I didn’t get a chance to play this more than once) it follows the events of the SE version where you get to enter Liza’s head again resulting in her being reunited with a long lost grandfather she lost contact with after her uncle took over as her guardian.

SHOP

I don’t know whether you get this in the SE version but in the CE you (as the psychic) can collect flowers to spend on furnishing your office .......... I bought everything!

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks for the final visuals. And thanks for leading the playthrough, chrissie. I had a great time!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top