• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday August 28

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

Mystery Tracker games are occasionally confused with Mystery Case File games. The latter games seem to take themselves far too seriously, while the former games often contain some serious humor intermixed with solving the task at hand. Which, in the case of the above screenshot from the game Mystery Trackers - The Four Aces involves saving a city from some mad scientists who are experimenting with animal genetics, (think strange mutations.) That should get the heart strings pulsating!

Also, the Mystery Tracker games seem to have an consistently edgier graphic style than the Mystery Case File games. I’ll exclude the first two Ravenjurst games and the 13th Skull game from that generality. The two Dire Grove games and the justifiably-maligned Shadow Lake game are examples of the “softer” graphic style.

Plus you, the protagonist, are always accompanied on your mission by your companion…a black and white chihuahua. This fearless animal goes where man either fears to tread, or, in most cases, can’t fit.

Even though there are too may HO scenes, play it for the dog!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

My experience with this particular series is that the clever puzzles take precedence over story and characterization. Is that a misimpression?

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Four Aces is my favorite Mystery Trackers game although I also like the two RAincliff games.

And MCF Shadow Lake is an awesome game…just sayin’.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 28 August 2015 12:56 PM

My experience with this particular series is that the clever puzzles take precedence over story and characterization. Is that a misimpression?

I really don’t think the Tracker games sacrifice story for puzzles. But that begs the question, “Compared to what?” Dire Grove is probably stronger on story than puzzle. I enjoy them both.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Rooney, have you considered making a-top-10/100-casual-adventure-games list?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Advie - 28 August 2015 05:27 PM

Rooney, have you considered making a-top-10/100-casual-adventure-games list?

I have. But the question of subjectivity always comes into play. Every person who participates in the Casual Games Thread probably has their own person Top 10. And each would be not only different from mine, but also different from each other’s.

And there is the question of numbers. I may play five new adventures per year, Maybe a few more. Maybe a few less. Because of the number of active casual game developers out there, (see a partial list of developers at the link, below) it’s quite possible that three, and possibly more new casual games arrive at the marketplace each week!

I may think that the best casual game out there consists of the Drawn Trilogy. In fact, it would be my number one. But there might be a better game out there, and I won’t know about it because I simply haven’t had a chance to play it. And I might never play it if someone else doesn’t bring it to my attention.

I will certainly bring it up on the Casual Game Thread. And, I will surely let you know if we ever come up with a usable list.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thank you Rooney for taking my inquiry seriously, most appreciated.
it might help me to make my start (if the list is made) into this forgotten world (for me) and maybe it could also bring my interest/attention into adventure gaming once again.
thanks (again) a lot for your consideration.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You’re very welcome. And feel free to call me Tim, like almost everyone else does.

Edit: It might be worthwhile to read the three Drawn Trilogy playthrough discussions to get a feel for what the best has to offer.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top