• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

8 Things I Learned from Bogi’s “The Big AG VS Tournament”

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Colpet—you’re right. That must have been a good year.  Laughing

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

diego - 19 February 2015 01:06 PM

4. Adventure Gamers Forum “hates” Myst clones.

Unfortunately a 1st person puzzle/adventure has no chance of winning one of these contests
and the top choice of people who prefer 1st person puzzle/adventures will never be represented.

But we all know that if we had a contest where only 1st person puzzle/adventures were eligible, that Riven would win.

Right?

Or would it?

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

crabapple - 23 February 2015 12:18 PM

Unfortunately a 1st person puzzle/adventure has no chance of winning one of these contests
and the top choice of people who prefer 1st person puzzle/adventures will never be represented.

But we all know that if we had a contest where only 1st person puzzle/adventures were eligible, that Riven would win.

Right?

Or would it?

Riven would get my vote. It was the first Adventure I played back in 2000 or so. I only played first person Adventures at that time, never knowing about the 3rd person games. I thought 3rd person games were a completely different category than Adventures, and was surprised to see so many people like them at this forum. I’ve played a few, but find all that dialogue and inventory boring and repetitive.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

colpet - 23 February 2015 02:13 PM

I’ve played a few, but find all that dialogue and inventory boring and repetitive.

Funny, for me it’s the complete opposite, and I get bored if a game doesn’t have much dialogue.  Good dialogue is what keeps a game from feeling repetitive to me.  It’s hard for an empty world to maintain my interest for more than an hour or two.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Detective Mosely - 23 February 2015 06:18 PM
colpet - 23 February 2015 02:13 PM

I’ve played a few, but find all that dialogue and inventory boring and repetitive.

Funny, for me it’s the complete opposite, and I get bored if a game doesn’t have much dialogue.  Good dialogue is what keeps a game from feeling repetitive to me.  It’s hard for an empty world to maintain my interest for more than an hour or two.

Different strokes for different folks. I guess I feel like clicking dialogue responses and working through the inventory items is pretty rote. I like exploring the environment and searching through furniture, books, etc. for information and clues. I like that kind of investigation. I’m a snoop at heart.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Right?

Or would it?

It seems to be a crowd favourite, but it’s not mine. I can think of half a dozen others I like better. Riven aside, I think it would be a close contest. There aren’t the ‘classics’ like there are with 3rd person adventures, the Lucasarts and Sierras.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

I loathe first person games, The first thing I do when looking up old games that I have yet to play is check whether they are first person or third person.
I backed tex murphy on kickstarter and have yet to get past the first few minutes when I realised it was the uncontrollable seasickening first person.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I usually make myself to play 1st person games, but that’s a strenuous task, gameplay is nearly always very uncomfortable.

Total Posts: 2990

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Right?

Or would it?

Well, I prefer 1st person and Riven is my personal favourite game of all time, so no problem in talking my vote as well. Wink (with Callahan’s a close second)

As in general though, which are the best 1st person games that are considered “classics” in adventure gaming?

1. Everything from Cyan (Myst series, most notable: Riven)
2. Tex Franchize (most notable: The Pandora Directive, Under a Killing Moon)
3. Legend games (most notable: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon)
4. Zork series (most notable: Zork Grand Inquisitor)
4. Portal series (most notable: Portal 2)
5. Horror games (most notable: Amnesia, Darkfall, Scratches)
6. Other (most notable: Obsidian, The Talos Principle)

Anything else?

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sefir - 23 February 2015 08:31 PM

As in general though, which are the best 1st person games that are considered “classics” in adventure gaming?

1. Everything from Cyan (Myst series, most notable: Riven)
2. Tex Franchize (most notable: The Pandora Directive, Under a Killing Moon)
3. Legend games (most notable: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon)
4. Zork series (most notable: Zork Grand Inquisitor)
4. Portal series (most notable: Portal 2)
5. Horror games (most notable: Amnesia, Darkfall, Scratches)
6. Other (most notable: Obsidian, The Talos Principle)

Anything else?

Sure. There’s the Journeyman Project series, Amber: Journeys Beyond, The Last Express, Riddle of the Sphinx, 7th Guest, Faust, Deja Vu 2, BAT, Morpheus, Rise of the Dragon, Maupiti Island and Dark Side of the Moon.

I don’t know whether ‘classic’ but Anacapri, Barrow Hill, Yoomurjak’s Ring, Miasmata, Starship Titanic, Gone Home and RHEM are personal favourites of mine.

I’m sure a lot of people regard Phoenix Wright, 999 and Layton as classics.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Timelapse
Schizm
Riddle of the Sphinx
Black Dahlia
Faust
Rhea
Rama
Ripper
Shivers
Rhem

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Timelapse! I forgot that one. Excellent game.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Normality. Cult classic as all Gremlin games were.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I would like to add Amerzone to the list of classics. I just recently got the chance to play it and I loved it.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Kheops (Return to Mysterious Island, Voyage, Dracula 3)
Cryo (Dune, KGB, Atlantis)
GAG, Lost in Time, Ween

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top