• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How important are graphics to you in an adventure game

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

That’s what I call BEAUTIFUL graphics!

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Oh yeah, always wanted to play that, it looks downright amazing. Is this the one with the troubled development process?

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

The most underrated game here. It was cut in half several weeks before release with the idea of releasing part II soon after, but it didn’t make enough money that would please Virgin, so everything was scrapped.

If it was released in full like planned on 4 CDs with 25h of gameplay, it would be strong contender for TOP5-10 adventure game ever.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Such a good looking game, why did they ruin the cover art?...

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

That looks cool indeed and quite a quality considering its time of release,
and yeah that cover art tells nothing, infact creepy.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Wait till you see the ads:

Mr Underhill - 23 January 2015 08:56 AM

Oh yeah, always wanted to play that, it looks downright amazing. Is this the one with the troubled development process?

Yeah, but it’s not visible - the game is long enough (when I thought I’m at the end, turns out I’m right at the half of it), and there’s not a “classic” cliffhanger.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I remembered that a comparison pic of the Monkey Island old and new version to see that modern and higher resolution doesn’t actually means better and can actually be detrimental for an adventure game.

Also the fact that Blackwell Epiphany (and not Beyond, Portal 2, etc) is the recent game that got further in the big tournament should mean that, at least here in the forums, people don’t really care about shiny and modern graphics to evaluate quality.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@wilco

Lastexpress shits on BW games form all directions in almost everything, writing,
uniqueness, animations, realtime nature etc.

Also games like portal and Beyond are disliked by purists, who believe that traditional
PnC games are the King of the crop.

You are already lost if Lucas/Sierra games are treated like blueprint to gauge other titles, then you cannot measure the true potential on its own merits but on your selective retention.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 23 January 2015 12:07 PM

@wilco

Lastexpress shits on BW games form all directions in almost everything, writing,

Also games like portal and Beyond are disliked by purists, who believe that traditional

You are already lost if Lucas/Sierra games are treated like blueprint to gauge other titles, then you cannot measure the true potential on its own merits but on your selective retention.

Might be true but it still means that for most adventure gamers it seems more important a good story/puzzles and classic gameplay than hi/res modern graphics. So if SoccerDude wants to make a game using AGS I say go for it, (fortunately) graphics seem to be the last thing in most peoples mind in here.

Yout probably true about Last Express (I never played it) but lets face it, Beyond might look incredible but its plot and writing is amateur hour compared to Blackwell series. I’m not even talking about gameplay here.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

nomadsoul - 23 January 2015 12:07 PM

@wilco

I disagree – TLE has very nice distinctive graphics & a good story but only one that you can get the best out of by playing it twice & to me that’s not good writing & inferior to that in the BW games where you get it the 1st time around – sure the animations & real-time novelty of the game may be superior but it had a hell of a lot more backing than WE’s independently produced BW series that is just as unique in a different way.

Of course they are as they’re ACTION HYBRIDS!!!!!!  & I think it’s less about purism & thinking that traditional P & C adventures are King of the crop & more of keeping immersion in a game without being distracted from action based challenges that you have to repeat over & over to win in order to proceed.  It’s good to see that games are furthering the boundaries of what an Adventure game is but no! I don’t believe combining action is the way to go – there are already plenty of those games & there’s already too many ‘pure’ AGs that include action elements. 

I started playing games too late to be familiar with the back catalogue of Lucas/Sierra games but even so I find your comment presumptuous & rude.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Chrissie - you’re spot on about TLE. I don’t like games making you replay to get the full experience, and you need to do that in TLE. Of course I can admire the other parts of the game, but once I finish a game it goes on my shelf for at least a few years.

BW oozes charm, has great puzzles, and I would say those are all it needs (and wants). The atmospheric graphics are a bonus.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

wilco - 23 January 2015 11:35 AM

I remembered that a comparison pic of the Monkey Island old and new version to see that modern and higher resolution doesn’t actually means better and can actually be detrimental for an adventure game.

Also the fact that Blackwell Epiphany (and not Beyond, Portal 2, etc) is the recent game that got further in the big tournament should mean that, at least here in the forums, people don’t really care about shiny and modern graphics to evaluate quality.

They really did a number on that game Frown Though in more competent hands it could’ve improved.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 23 January 2015 12:53 PM

Beyond might look incredible but its plot and writing is amateur hour compared to Blackwell series. I’m not even talking about gameplay here

Really , spooks, spiritual energy, people turning human from ghosts etc.
It was cringe worthy TBH, wonder what caught your attention.

Cage’s script atleast convinced Page and Dafoe, and atleast Ellen was a saving grace not to mention the connection they made in the end, very plausible and theoretically possible way better than epiphany endgame.

BW epiphany also had VAs straight from streets, they love reading lines verbatim without
any pause, emotion or texture.

And the gameplay you talk about is not different from moving cursor on Desktop to
click and sort window icons. In that sense all those hidden object games are revolutionary.

One of the rare occasions where i am actually happy that games like BW don’t sell more than Qdream’s game.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I’m pretty sure all Quantic games generate this kind of discussions, especially in terms of gameplay. I have read so many things about Beyond and Heavy Rain, some say they are awesome, others that they are just movies in which there is little you can do, etc, etc.

Personally I’ve only played Fahrenheit and although it is a sort of hybrid with adventure / action and despite its flaws,it seemed amazing to me as few games and I enjoyed it very much. And I hope someday when I finally can play Heavy Rain & Beyond they can be as deep in terms of story and content (as it was Fahrenheit) and I think they will be.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m pretty sure all Quantic games generate this kind of discussions, especially in terms of gameplay. I have read so many things about Beyond and Heavy Rain, some say they are awesome, others that they are just movies in which there is little you can do, etc, etc.

I bought a used PS3 cheap just to play these and I must say that graphics-wise they are the
best games I’ve ever played. Amazing.

I did like the plots too - they did have quite good stories although gameplay was lacking in both.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top