• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How important are graphics to you in an adventure game

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Gemini Rue, simply put, worked for me. Loved that game - I was quite happy with the game despite how basic the artwork was. A classic case of story being the most important element for me.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Mikekelly - 22 January 2015 07:09 PM

Gemini Rue, simply put, worked for me. Loved that game - I was quite happy with the game despite how basic the artwork was. A classic case of story being the most important element for me.

I really liked Gemini Rue as far as I got but just couldn’t get past a shooting challenge. Yes, it has a great story as all of the other games mentioned here have although however it seems some are being ‘dissed’ for their artwork despite it being appropriate for the mood & setting of the stories. How would for example Resonance work with the graphics of Primordia or Gemini Rue? In my mind in all cases the developers are using the best style for their game given their graphical limitations - you either like it or you don’t - it’s personal taste & I prefer criticism about non-reflections on floors etc to be saved for bigger budget games.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Bogi - 22 January 2015 03:34 PM

There are two aspects here, a matter of personal taste (for me Disney and Looney Tunes >>>> Manga, I can’t stand Manga style Grin ) and a question of pure quality, like in these examples Oscar posted, simply Sierra and Lucas Arts had brilliant artists who would probably excelled in most of computer art technics.

Anyone arguing that Loney toons > Cowboy Bepop, Miyazaki, GITS, Ninja Scroll, Cyvercity etc. is just totally lost in translation, as i know most of people here haven’t read much Mangas or watched enough Animes , atleast not as much as they replay Sierra/Lucas classics again and again, from where there predisposition comes from.
;P

I am accustomed to both worlds, atleast i have played Last Express.

There is a reason why Disney/WB style can be copied to death where Manga 80s/90s
style is super hard to understand let alone being copied to death.
Reason why most of the Animes nowadays are garbage and homogenous.

And thats style, it should have something distinctive ,should not be bland , super basic,  colorful artwork like of kindergarten books(Resonance).
In resonance even body proportions are whacked, characters look like wobbleheads, like
some kindergarten kid gone amok.

@Sefir
Its basic stuff.
A jungle with hundreds of poly count in Crysis is still a jungle hardly different from
Farcry4. Tech is not style, unless you know how to use those numbers DIFFERENTLY from other crop of titles.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

nomadsoul - 23 January 2015 03:37 AM

Anyone arguing that Loney toons > Cowboy Bepop, Miyazaki, GITS, Ninja Scroll, Cyvercity etc. is just totally lost in translation, as i know most of people here haven’t read much Mangas or watched enough Animes , atleast not as much as they replay Sierra/Lucas classics again and again, from where there predisposition comes from.
;P

I am accustomed to both worlds, atleast i have played Last Express.

There is a reason why Disney/WB style can be copied to death where Manga 80s/90s
style is super hard to understand let alone being copied to death.
Reason why most of the Animes nowadays are garbage and homogenous.

And thats style, it should have something distinctive ,should not be bland , super basic,  colorful artwork like of kindergarten books(Resonance).
In resonance even body proportions are whacked, characters look like wobbleheads, like
some kindergarten kid gone amok.

@Sefir
Its basic stuff.
A jungle with hundreds of poly count in Crysis is still a jungle hardly different from
Farcry4. Tech is not style, unless you know how to use those numbers DIFFERENTLY from other crop of titles.

As I said it’s a matter of personal taste, I could never stomach that 90% of characters look underage and/or transgender and awkward proportions of facial features (giant eyes, almost non-existent noses and mouths). I watched a lot Manga from 80s/90s back then, but it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

I completely understand that somebody loves and cherish them, but no art style can be declared superior to others.

When we are talking about 2D art of the same style, then a pure quality of work can be measured. And don’t forget that introduction of pre-scanned backgrounds gave Sierra/Lucas major advantage over the competition back then.

When discussing 3D it’s much harder to talk about style, because it’s mostly about the tech aspect and it differs much less.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

nomadsoul - 23 January 2015 03:37 AM

And thats style, it should have something distinctive ,should not be bland

That’s why I didn’t like Gemini Rue. Dull, drab environments and generic characters. That guy in the screen posted earlier looks like what you’d get if you averaged out images of 100 different detective characters from different media. Nothing distinctive about him at all.

And no, Japanese cartoons are not ‘hard to understand’ compared with western cartoons. I like Miyazaki (more for the charm than the drawings) but dislike all that over the top Dragonball/Street Fighter stuff. But then, I don’t much like Disney/WB either.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

90% depend upon your exposure , and i don’t know what you saw.
I correlated animes i mentioned with similar look and feel to GR, point of debate.

Resonance got bigger heads than their body, with childish colors. Its basic like cartoons you see on kindergarten children books.

Every other emotion of yours towards gays or transgender is secondary, maybe you are looking for the word androgynous.
Well many men in japan look like that.

Manga came into scene with more graphic and adult style with mature themes and no censorship, the quality of Animation and density in Akira to GITS is till unmatched.
Unlike typical kids stuff of Hanabarbera , recycled into Sierra games.

Its defacto actually, Looney toons or mainstream DCs, Marvel comics, were restricted due to fanbase, not accustomed to out of the box approach in any department.

Where Japanese kept on challenging and changing styles with content within.

There is reason why Witcher3 looks hardly different against DAGE or any other medieval RPG.

Where Bloodborne shits on both of them in diversity and art direction.
There is direction, its not about going out on Euro fields and redoing same stuff, done to death , castles, forests, dragons etc.

I am glad Josh went for Japanese influence and made it distinctive, infact the original name Boryokudan Rue was better. Wink

So, let me rephrase it again, out the games made on AGS, GR and Primordia look better than rest.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

nomadsoul, I wouldn’t say Hanna Barbera is representative of all western animation Tongue Everyone calls those “the dark days of animation”, and yeah, they were churning them out assembly line-style, thus the quality really, really took a hit. Then again, you’ve got numerous anime series cutting a lot of corners (some of them run at 6fps!), but I’d call all of those bad business decisions affecting artistic output, it doesn’t mean the artists don’t know how to do their jobs.

That said, I still love me some Flintstones or Top Cat Cool

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Mr Underhill - 23 January 2015 05:17 AM

Change the color of Topcat from yellow to blue, and you have Tom from T&J.

Thats my point.

Grin

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ve read tons (and tons) of manga this year and there are so many styles in there too. I personally do not like the over-the-top crazy huge eyes style either, but most manga isn’t like that. Or at least not the manga I read Tongue

Anyway I love many different art styles and if they suit the game’s atmosphere they’re even better. Like Edna & Harvey, it looks just awesome. But if they tried to make me play a dating sim with those graphics I probably would be quite turned off.

I think graphics are important and then again are not. They definitely are not the most important thing - especially in a genre like adventure. But I can be put off by them, even to the point that I don’t feel like playing the game. But like many people here have said, it doesn’t have much to do with resolution. The style and the execution is what matter the most.

But of course I am going all “wow, look at that” when we get new games like Beyond: Two Souls and the graphics make me want to play the game more. Some of the much lower budget games can do that too with unique style, but I don’t think every game needs an unique style. Just as long as it’s suitable and not butt ugly.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

nomadsoul - 23 January 2015 05:26 AM

Thats my point.

Grin

I know we’re really straying from the topic here, but HB had quite a revival in the 90s with stuff like Cow & Chicken, Powerpuff Girls etc. Tell me you wouldn’t play an adventure game that looked like Dexter’s Laboratory! (Don’t tell me, I won’t believe you Tongue ).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s because Gendy Tartakovsky is a great artist. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Mr Underhill - 23 January 2015 06:05 AM

Thats my point.

Grin

I know we’re really straying from the topic here, but HB had quite a revival in the 90s with stuff like Cow & Chicken, Powerpuff Girls etc. Tell me you wouldn’t play an adventure game that looked like Dexter’s Laboratory! (Don’t tell me, I won’t believe you Tongue ).

Not straying much as long as it serves the underlying purpose of making good art by taking past database of art mediums as inspirations.
But again inspirations as copy paste and redundant basic form VS turning on its head,
is the issue.
That Dexter,powerpuff cutout animation approach i didn’t like in BrokenAge.

But what Splatoon doing is something adorable.
3D, glossy, vibrant, diverse colors etc.

Oh and btw,  cat’s head in your game looks familiar to Katz.
Whose personality is strangely familiar to Marek(BAge)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Edit:

Katz is villain from Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Oh, where is Dag when you need him most Grin

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

nomadsoul - 23 January 2015 06:51 AM
Mr Underhill - 23 January 2015 06:05 AM

Thats my point.

Grin

Not straying much as long as it serves the underlying purpose of making good art by taking past database of art mediums as inspirations.
But again inspirations as copy paste and redundant basic form VS turning on its head,
is the issue.
That Dexter,powerpuff cutout animation approach i didn’t like in BrokenAge.

But what Splatoon doing is something adorable.
3D, glossy, vibrant, diverse colors etc.

Oh and btw,  cat’s head in your game looks familiar to Katz.
Whose personality is strangely familiar to Marek(BAge)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Edit:

Katz is villain from Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Well, we’re all empirical beings and absolutely everything we create is a remix of something we’ve experienced, whether we’re aware of it or not. I’ve just had pointed out to me that our game’s two main characters look a lot like these guys:

...which was absolutely unintended and probably my subconscious love for Lupin acting out on me. My first reaction was “whoops!” but now that I thought about it a little I really like it. I personally love following the inspiration breadcrumbs (like Grim’s Day of the Dead vs Noir, Monkey Island’s On Stranger Tides, etc)... Like Lara Croft is a female Indie who’s an embodiment of 30s and 40s adventure pulp fiction, and so on.  We can’t create in vacuum and I guess originality really is an alien concept to human beings, we’re all really just filters. Some of higher quality, some of lower Crazy

That said, I’m definitely watching some Lupin tonight   Laughing

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Speaking of cartoons, Toonstruck took Hanna-Barbera, Warner Bros, 80’s comics and 90s Cartoon Network style… mixed it up together and made into a unique style IMO:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top