• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Good traditional point & click adventure games from last 5 years?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-12-14

PM

Sorry about the somewhat generic question.

I used to be a big fan of point & click adventure games, but the only ones I’ve played from the last few years are Deponia 1 & 2. I’m trying to see what I’ve missed. I’ve tried searching, but keep getting suggestions for games that don’t match my criteria.

* Has actual puzzles/challenges (not Gone Home, The Walking Dead, etc)
* Has a tangible storyline (not Papers Please etc)
* Graphics are not early 90s pixel art (not Primordia etc)

Hope you guys can help me get back into the genre.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Some suggestions:

Broken Sword 5
Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect
Oknytt
Memoria
The Night of the Rabbit
Journey Down

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Good suggestions. I would still play The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav before Memoria, so I wouldn’t spoil CoS plot.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I loved The Book of Unwritten Tales. Good humor, good puzzles and a good story. 

I also enjoyed Broken sword 5.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Add Lost Horizon and the first two Secret Files games, and well, anything by Daedalic that’s not yet mentioned.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Broken Sword 5 should definitely be at the top of the list with those criteria. Excellent game.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The Inner World is also a very good choice.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

WHY IT’S ALWAYS 5 YEARS?! Tongue

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/3420/
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/931/
http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29495

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

And don’t forget Broken Age. Even though only part 1 is available, part 2 should be coming somewhere early 2015.

This game gets a lot of critique from purists, mostly because Schafer went down the expensive route and showed how the sausage gets made, but is as P&C as you can get, remiscent of the old Lucasarts style and has a very good 82 score on Metacritic.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

subbi - 14 December 2014 10:06 AM

And don’t forget Broken Age. Even though only part 1 is available, part 2 should be coming somewhere early 2015.

This game gets a lot of critique from purists, mostly because Schafer went down the expensive route and showed how the sausage gets made, but is as P&C as you can get, remiscent of the old Lucasarts style and has a very good 82 score on Metacritic.

Came here to say exactly that, so +1 for Broken Age from me.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Only Broken Age doesn’t have any real challenges nor a tangible storyline, only postmodernism. Broken Sword 5 would be a great choice indeed.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

diego - 14 December 2014 09:53 AM

WHY IT’S ALWAYS 5 YEARS?! Tongue

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/3420/
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/931/
http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29495

:-)
Well, here’s a guess—
Recent enough that they’ll play on a modern Windows version—
but a long enough time frame that a few good ones might have accumulated.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-12-14

PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, it’s very appreciated!
Memoria looks like the sort of game I’d like. Is Chains of Satinav a good game on its own, or should it just be played for the story?

Is Broken Sword 5 standalone and can be played without remembering the story of the previous ones?

Those games seem like a good starting point.

Reading the suggestions I was reminded that I’ve also played Lost Horizon (which was enjoyable) and Broken Age pt 1 (which I didn’t enjoy).

Doom - 14 December 2014 10:51 AM

Only Broken Age doesn’t have any real challenges nor a tangible storyline, only postmodernism.

And you nailed why I didn’t enjoy it. =) Also, I didn’t find the main characters particularly likable.

Edit: Stand-alone or not, I’ve bought Broken Sword 5 now. =D

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

You don’t have to have played any previous Broken Sword game to enjoy each entry. Naturally it enhances the experience somewhat having played the previous ones, but they aren’t directly connected. It’s always just another case, with a few returning characters and such.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I really, really suggest you get on the Book of Unwritten Tales bandwagon. The original, play Critter Chronicles only AFTER BoUT1.

And although reviews suggested it wasn’t all that flash, Grey Matter is great. More serious, that one.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top