• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cage Match#2 (The Greatest of the Great)

Poll: DotT vs GF
Total Votes: 25
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oh thanks Bogi. haven’t heard these kinds of comments (here) for god knows when, most appreciated !,

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Grim Fandango for an easy win in my books. Apart from the extremely smart use of riddle solving (with the use of 3 different characters in different time periods), I always found DotT one overrated game.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Bogi - 11 December 2014 06:07 PM

Advie, I forgot to add that these cage matches are excellent idea. Wink

(Maybe we could have something like a vs. tournament like this between games, until only THE ONE is left, but there should definitely be some seeding)

This should have been done long ago.

Syberia vs TLG
BrokenSword vs Fullthrottle
Bladerunner vs MI3
KZ0 vs Machinarium

Would love to see the favorites/opinions about these.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

nomadsoul - 12 December 2014 07:16 AM

Syberia vs TLG
Bladerunner vs MI3
KZ0 vs Machinarium

You are no lover of 1st person games (Riven, GK2, Tex, CCS, etc) do you?  Wink

In all seriousenss though, perhaps we should let Advie decide what the the cage matches would be, which does not necessarily include game titles. I’m sure he’ll find very interesting matches (and Advie, good job as always man. Thumbs Up )

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sefir - 12 December 2014 07:20 AM
nomadsoul - 12 December 2014 07:16 AM

Syberia vs TLG
Bladerunner vs MI3
KZ0 vs Machinarium

You are no lover of 1st person games (Riven, GK2, Tex, CCS, etc) do you?  Wink

Tsk tsk!

(both of you!) Meh

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I can’t vote on this one. For me, it’s definitely DOTT for the graphics and game mechanics (multiple characters, TIIIME TRAVEEEL!), and Grim for characters, writing, atmosphere, locations and overall pizzazz. Overall it’d probably have to go to Grim, but those goddamned controls and, let’s face it, ugly early 3d graphics (though extremely intelligently used - even disguised, in fact) stop it, in my eyes, from being a clear winner in this match. Draw, for me Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Graphics/Animation : This point goes to DotT easily. Simple, but well composed 2D backgrounds, frame by frame animation accompanied by mirror-house perspectives, which I’m a sucker for. The early time 3D graphics of GF is disturbing to my eye in comparison. (I should add that I absolutely LOVE Peter Chans concept art for GF, but I felt it lost its soul when it was turned into polygons).

Design/Gameplaying : I found the controls and inventory system of Grim Fandango to be extremely obtuse, to the point where is interfered with my enjoyment of the game, while DotT’s gameplay is a thrill all the way. Again the point goes to DotT.

Story: Easy choice. Grim Fandango’s writing is at the very top of the crop, the nonsensical story of DotT has nothing on the extremely well thought out universe of Grim Fandango, the point goes to GF.

Music/Audio : Again, Grim Fandango. The Jazzy score of Grim Fandango is a delight through and through, while DotT’s score suffers from the audio limitations of its time.

Puzzles: Here I stand divided, I always loved the multi-step puzzles of DotT, and how the time travelling was incorporated into the puzzles. Brilliant! But then again, Grim Fandango’s puzzles is equally well thought out, and the Rubacava section is simply amazing.

Which means I’m left with a 2,5 point score for each game. A tie. The awkward controls of GF makes me tip in favor of DotT, but that may change when the GF remake comes out.

EDIT: We should probably add voice acting to the scoreboard too, which is great in DotT, but I think some of the actors are underperforming, but in Grim Fandango every single character shines in every dialogue line. This point goes to Grim Fandango, which puts it in the lead… Can I redo my vote? Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Dag - 13 December 2014 07:43 PM

EDIT: We should probably add voice acting to the scoreboard too, which is great in DotT, but I think some of the actors are underperforming, but in Grim Fandango every single character shines in every dialogue line. This point goes to Grim Fandango, which puts it in the lead… Can I redo my vote? Smile

I thought that Audio was the key word to this point on the scoreboard, Music goes for the soundtrack and Audio goes for the Voice-Acting and the Sound-Effects, so I guess all elements are covered here, at least IMHO.

I wish that rating/scoring system would work this way here or anywhere, by giving percentage for each point, gather the total and divide it by five, then finally we have got a good satisfying/objective score at the end.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Advie - 14 December 2014 03:13 AM

I thought that Audio was the key word to this point on the scoreboard, Music goes for the soundtrack and Audio goes for the Voice acting and the sound effects, so I guess all elements are cover here, at least IMHO.

Right, of course! Smile

Then I’m back to a tie, hehe. Oh well, the vote stands with DotT, which is fine. Still, it’s hard to decide between two games that are so different from one another.

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

DoTT is a great game, very funny and with some clever use of time travel puzzles, BUT... Grim Fandagon is a freaking masterpiece and no. 2 on my personal list of the best AG’s ever made, so there is really no contest here.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yeah, I agree that Grim Fandango is a better game, if I ignore the controls.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 14 December 2014 03:13 AM

I wish that rating/scoring system would work this way here or anywhere, by giving a percentage for each point then gather the total and divide it by five, and we have got a good satisfying/subjective score at the end.

That’s flawed as well. Some games are more than the sum of their parts, and some games are weaker than the sum of their parts.
Besides, the review itself is WAY more important than the score of the game. The score is just a number, the review is where all the information is…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 14 December 2014 04:31 AM

Personally the controls never really bother me much, they weren’t perfect but not more cumbersome than what I could live with.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 14 December 2014 06:05 AM
Dag - 14 December 2014 04:31 AM

Personally the controls never really bother me much, they weren’t perfect but not more cumbersome than what I could live with.

I think you are bypassing the point which dag’s thinks of (and I agree with him about) and that is the ruined fun; (in general)  terrible controls, slow moving avatars, long loading time of screens, strange camera views…etc,etc are all kinds of issues might seem trivial wise, but once you get more and more going into the game, they start you frustrate you/me (however these cons are minimal comparing to the other great aspects the ag has) and the fun loses its immersion .

One can start to get bored then eventually give up on the whole experience, I gave up on So blonde on my replay for the long loading time of screen/locations, and the same reason for Alcatraz (on my 1st experience with the game) , and also gave up on Grim Fandango on my replay for the Inventory and character’s controls.

So these issues are not be taking as some trivial ones you can just live with, we are all already living without these experiences (no one game is good enough to keep me from avoiding these frustrating issues) plus there are other 10s of ags waiting for me to run (even if they might seem less good) have not these issues . 

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I also agree with Iznogood….I never found the controls terrible (or even troublesome). It didn’t even occured to me that others may have any kind of problems with the controls. That also happened with MI IV. Perhaps it is up to how someone can easily adapt to something entirely different…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top