• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommend me some adventure games

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-12-10

PM

Sorry, if this thread’s been done, but I’m new.

I’m looking for adventure games. Feeling nostalgic. I don’t care for for “funny” adventures games. I like my adventures games dark, gritty and noir-ish

Some of my favourites are

Beneath a Steel Sky
Blade Runner
I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

I usually like the noir/hard boiled detective style.

I don’t care for Tex Murphy since it’s a parody of hard boild detective genre. I like hard boiled / film noir adventures like I like my whiskey. Straight, no ice Grin

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2014-12-05

PM

I know you mentioned the fact that you don’t like ‘funny’ adventure games, but Discworld Noir certainly fits the hard boiled description, in spite of its fantasy setting.

Joined 2014-12-10

PM

yeah, It’s kinda old. I played years ago Smile

I don’t hate funny games though. I loved the Larry and Space Quests series.

I’m looking more for 21st century games (don’t have to be, but in the nineties I played a tone of adventure games)

I remember playing a game with a friend around 2006. It started with your guy in a street, it was raining, you had a trenchcoat and you were some kind of ex-cop or PI.

And you had to find missing kids. Can’t remember that game for the love of God.

I’m also looking forward to Grim Fandango HD. Even though it’s also a funny game. But I never played it and people say it’s very great.

Also never played any of the Indiana Jones adventures. Still worth playing or have they aged to much?

(sorry for bad English, I’m Dutch)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Check the first post of this sticky thread!

You’re welcome! Wink

FoxMulder2014 - 10 December 2014 06:52 PM

I remember playing a game with a friend around 2006. It started with your guy in a street, it was raining, you had a trenchcoat and you were some kind of ex-cop or PI.

And you had to find missing kids. Can’t remember that game for the love of God.

Could it have been (the slightly more recent but retro-graphical) Gemini Rue? This was the first screen after the intro.

I’m also looking forward to Grim Fandango HD. Even though it’s also a funny game. But I never played it and people say it’s very great.

One of the best games ever. It’s hilarious, and it’s very much noir. The HD version isn’t going to be the massive graphical upgrade you’d want, but the game still looks great, so meh.

Also never played any of the Indiana Jones adventures. Still worth playing or have they aged to much?

Fate of Atlantis is the important one. The interface (with the word selector) is dated, and the graphics are obviously early 90s, but that’s still one of the best games ever made, and I replay it regularly.

(sorry for bad English, I’m Dutch)

Half the forum is Dutch. Or Flemish.
En dat betekent meestal dat je Engels meer dan goed genoeg is. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2014-12-10

PM

Thanks Smile

Joined 2014-12-10

PM

Bedankt Smile

Nuja, ouder dan Larry of Space Quest kan het allicht niet zijn Smile

Humor isn’t a complete turn-off but I was let down by Tex Murphy. Sci-fi Noir Detective Adventure game. But for my taste it was was too silly. More like a parody of the genre. Which is fine, and lots of people love it.

Just like I like Space Quest, which is a sci-fi parody. But I was expectiong Tex Murphy more Blade Runner :o

Which also had some humor, although dark humor.

And Beneath a Steel Sky even more so. Still one of my favorite games. The blend of noir and cyberpunk really does it for me. Smile

There’s just something about playing a guy down on his luck wearing a trenchcoat and sporting a fedora investigating some crime.

I also like sci-fi. One of the first adventures I played were those old Star Trek ones. Judgement Rites, 25th Anniversery

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You’ll like Gemini Rue (2011) which won many plaudits around here. Faust: The Seven Games of the Soul (2000) is closer to IHNMAIMS and also good. Have you tried Anachronox (2001)? It has some turn-based fighting but if you liked Blade Runner you should be fine - excellent dark/noir sci-fi story and characters (and most importantly, trenchcoats!). Another I haven’t played is Martian Gothic: Unification (2000) but I’ve heard it’s quite decent. If you don’t mind a touch of horror there’s also Last Half of Darkness: Society of the Serpent Moon (2011), which has a great noir atmosphere and was one of my favourites from that year.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I’m assuming you’ve played the Gabriel Knight series, right?  If not, definitely check out at least GK1 and 2.  Enjoying 3 requires a willful disregard of the terrible 3D graphics and awkward controls, so it can be hard to get into.

For contemporary adventures with a detective atmosphere, definitely try out the Blackwell series by Wadjet Eye.  It’s done in a classic 90s pixel art style, but the story is very solid, and builds upon itself nicely from game to game.  They’re all great, and the series gets better with each iteration.  I think there are 5 in all.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Perhaps Nikopol, and The Awakened.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Del. since I get the feeling that it was a terribly bad joke.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Face Noir is what you want—hardboiled detective mystery set in 1930s New York. Amazing soundtrack and incredibly moody. Also has some references to famous early noir/detective films. A true love letter to hardboiled detective fiction/noir.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/24943

And never mind the review saying it isn’t always pretty to look at. I think it’s a gorgeous game.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

If you don’t mind a dit of….darker tones (Horror noir - Lovecraft) or 1st person, Darkness Within: in pursuit of Loath Nolder is also a nice option.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

Still Life - I’m surprised no one mentioned it.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

And Post Mortem, Still Life’s predecessor. Two great games (though Still Life is far more polished and better executed) with a great protagonist: Gus Macpherson, private eye.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

On that subject, how’s Still Life 2? I’ve heard very middling things about it.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Right now best gritty and noir title is This war of mine.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top