• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moment of Silence question

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

To my astonishment, there have been inquiries about a movie license a few years ago. But nothing came of it, and it’s probably for the better, as the game’s central mystery (—a global electronic surveillance network exists—) has in the meantime been pretty much de-fictionalised.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

But come on! that was 2004, and now its happening; like the the Obama surveillance network scandal, .

Using Global net (TMoS) to share all information, and to use and old video Cam/Hardcopy-Diaries to predict yourself from being monitored, its the same idea how its working with Ipad/Phone Etc etc these days(but not really opened to discussion and its consequences), all that wasn’t even in action when you wrote it, come on give yourself this much of great credit:D , also I liked how you predicted people forgetting about handwriting, not being used in schools and so on!.

This is just astonishing, its happening and more of what came in TMoS is to be seen in future, great writing!

but Martin, I would like to know were you inspired by Orwell or P.K.D (Valis) while writing this ?

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Surveillance-topic had been actual for a while in 2004. Mainstream media maybe didn’t talk about that so much, but it wasn’t anything novel either. Come to think of it - maybe I loved TMOS exactly because I saw it to be quite realistic outlook.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

It wasn’t just the “surveillance” aspect, but the way information was deleted from public access that was “spooky.” People were required to send in all their printed material in order for it to be “scanned,” but anything “Big Brother” considered objectionable was never returned to the owner and never made available to the rest of the public. Newspapers, books, magazines, etc. just deleted from existence—essentially rewriting history. We see something similar with websites disappearing over time. Even the Web Archive can be blocked by the evil “robots.txt” so whatever information was once on the webpage is gone forever. Most of the time the information was probably not political—but once it’s gone, how would you tell?

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Yeah, but such things to control people have always been going on. Eg. Soviet and other communist dictatorship regimes? Censoring and destroying of books has been going on forever since beginning of writing. Phototouching as well. Destroying people’s records is logical thing to do if one wants to hide statistics who and how many got sent to gulag or concentration camp etc. TMOS took old methods and suited those nicely into near future setting.

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

lewuz - 15 December 2014 09:42 AM

Surveillance-topic had been actual for a while in 2004. Mainstream media maybe didn’t talk about that so much, but it wasn’t anything novel either.

I certainly agree. The main source of inspiration for TMOS’s surveillance technology was the Echelon system, which had been uncovered in the early 2000s. It’s not so much the electronic surveillance technology itself that has profoundly changed since, but rather the amount of relevant data of individuals available to it. It’s the degree to (and pace with) which life moves to the digital realm that makes these things scary.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you guys so ahead of me, I really come from a third world land Frown

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top