• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 04 November 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Bring me the blue pages! Bring me the blue pages!

One of my favorite moments in one of my favorite games: ObsidianThumbs Up

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Grin

One of the funniest moments in the best world of a great game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Is this going to be a series about games that reference Myst? Or just references in general?

That reference went completely over my head. Still does.
The cons of not having played Myst, I suppose…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

How interesting to see a reference to games not made by the same authors… I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with “I’m selling these fine leather jackets” in LucasArts games, but clever and funny references to other works are quite refreshing (especially since we’re talking two classics here).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 04 November 2014 06:35 AM

Is this going to be a series about games that reference Myst?

Do I detect a note of disappointment?

Or just references in general?

Actually, I was kind of hoping people would come up with other funny references…? Smile

That reference went completely over my head. Still does.

Shocking. Incredible. You must be the only person in the whole world of gaming who doesn’t know about the blue pages. And that includes all Myst-haters!

The cons of not having played Myst, I suppose…

I can’t think of any pros.  Tongue

So here’s the story. Atrus has two sons. He imprisoned them both in two books. (No, I’m not going to explain the important function of books in Myst.) One is in the red book, the other in the blue one. The two brothers compete for your attention, they want you to find blue/red pages and beg you not to help their brother. The more pages you find and bring, the better you can see and hear them.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Karlok - 04 November 2014 07:26 AM

Actually, I was kind of hoping people would come up with other funny references…? Smile

Very well then…
A Vampyre Story has 2 very funny DotT references through Froderick quotes! Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 04 November 2014 07:47 AM

Very well then…
A Vampyre Story has 2 very funny DotT references through Froderick quotes! Smile

Pics! Quotes! Pics! Quotes!

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

That’s one of them. Sorry, but the Vampyre Story AGCP was such a long time ago and couldn’t retrieve the other….
I added another DotT reference from the Critter Chronicles instead! Smile
Anyone else?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hey, they’re both new to me. Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Zork Grand Inquisitor also has a reference to the Blue Pages in the entrance to hell (can’t post the video right now)

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That must be the twoheaded monster in ZorkGI.

Let’s cut the crap, okay? You got this far, you know the drill, you’re the adventurer, I’m… we’re your basic two-headed guardian of Hades-type creature. You’re looking for treasure, mana, crystals, red pages, blue pages, whatever. It’s all the same really. The point is: You want to get by. You always do. And we gotta kill you. We always do.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That’s it!!  Smile

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Maniac Mansion reference in Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 04 November 2014 07:26 AM

Do I detect a note of disappointment?

Not at all, I just immediately thought of a game that referenced Myst (well, it punned the title) and I didn’t want to post the screenshot without being certain it wasn’t going to be tomorrow’s AGSotD…

In Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, there’s a “mist” hotspot near the Brazilian temple. Among the possible verbs was “play”.

If you “play mist”, this is what you get:

Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The Mysts o’Tyme location in Escape from Monkey Island.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

One more. Myst Art—> My Start

and a nonverbal one.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top