• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sierra vs. Blizzard

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

One might say this is an “Apples to Oranges” comparison, given that Sierra is known mainly for their adventure game series (though they did have action hits like Half Life and Homeworld and plenty of non-adventure hits like NASCAR Racing, etc) while Blizzard is known for their RPGs and Online gaming.

However, Sierra and Blizzard are alike in two respects:

1) They were/are the leaders of their industry. Sierra in the mid 1990s, when Blizzard was just starting up, was the market share leader in PC gaming; even as Blizzard grew, the market still held Sierra as the leader in PC gaming as late as 1998. Sierra’s main competition in 1998 was considered to be EA and Microsoft. That’s pretty big.

2) They are and have been owned by the same company for the past 18 years. Sierra and Blizzard were acquired by CUC International Inc on the same day in July 1996 and have basically been sister companies for almost twenty years. Sierra even developed a Diablo expansion pack for Blizzard—the only official Diablo expansion pack to date.

So, which do you feel was/is the better company and why?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Neither is the better company as neither still exist. You have to have two living. breathing entities such as General Motors and General Electric to even try to make that kind of comparison.

As to which company still has the best viable IP library legacy, no question it’s Sierra. Whether that legacy will find any degree of fulfillment is another question entirely.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

rtrooney - 08 October 2014 07:23 PM

Neither is the better company as neither still exist. You have to have two living. breathing entities such as General Motors and General Electric to even try to make that kind of comparison.

As to which company still has the best viable IP library legacy, no question it’s Sierra. Whether that legacy will find any degree of fulfillment is another question entirely.

Sierra and Blizzard are still very much in existence.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Weird comparison but there’s probably a reason why it’s called Activison-Blizzard and not Activision-Sierra although Blizzard only developed a dozen titles or something. They struck gold with the Diablo/Starcraft/Warcraft trifecta.
They are probably not the most innovative company ever (specially compared to early Sierra) but all their games have enourmous attention to gameplay detail and were always highly playable. (They still suck for cancelling the Warcraft Adventure Smile )

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Blizzard made fun games that lasted forever but you got bored with them after a few hours (at least I did). Killing monsters is fun for an hour or two but I’d like some variety please.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

http://mixnmojo.com/news/Silver-Medal-Quest

Speaking of which; Sierra and comparisons , can anyone imagine Sierra had came after TTG in one of the votes made MixMojo.com last year Gasp

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dance Magic Dance - 08 October 2014 07:28 PM

Not as individual, not owned by someone else, companies. And the IPs for either are owned by a company not named Sierra or Blizzard. If that equates with companies still very much in existence you have a wholly different interpretation of business mechanics than I do.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

rtrooney - 08 October 2014 08:48 PM
Dance Magic Dance - 08 October 2014 07:28 PM

Not as individual, not owned by someone else, companies. And the IPs for either are owned by a company not named Sierra or Blizzard. If that equates with companies still very much in existence you have a wholly different interpretation of business mechanics than I do.

If that’s the definition of ‘existing’, then Blizzard hasn’t existed since 1994 (they were bought by a company called Davidson & Associates long before Warcraft or Starcraft even existed) and Sierra since 1996.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Am I missing something? What does it matter whether they still exist? Can we not discuss whether Plato or Aristotle is better because both are dead?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dance Magic Dance - 08 October 2014 09:12 PM

If that’s the definition of ‘existing’, then Blizzard hasn’t existed since 1994 (they were bought by a company called Davidson & Associates long before Warcraft or Starcraft even existed) and Sierra since 1996.

Congratulations! You just confirmed my point.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

I just passed by Blizzard offices yesterday near the Spectrum in SoCal. I can confirm that Blizzard is still around.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

OrionO - 09 October 2014 02:12 AM

I just passed by Blizzard offices yesterday near the Spectrum in SoCal. I can confirm that Blizzard is still around.

Yes, and Advie’s met Ken & Roberta on their boat recently, so that enterprise hasn’t sunk just yet.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Zifnab - 09 October 2014 02:19 AM

Yes, and Advie’s met Ken & Roberta on their boat recently, so that enterprise hasn’t sunk just yet.  Thumbs Up

Wow! Would he consider sharing pictures? I once saw Roberta in person, but I didn’t get to talk to her or get a picture. I regretted it later. I was really nervous.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

OMG! Ken and ‘Berta? Faiiiiint…..

Bt

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

That may be true. There is an Activison/Blizzard website that is looking for employees. It doesn’t say that they, Blizzard, are actively producing/developing/creating games. Only that they are interested in people who would like to do same. And I guess it’s appropriate to have a storefront where people can come to interview.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

rtrooney - 09 October 2014 07:48 PM

That may be true. There is an Activison/Blizzard website that is looking for employees. It doesn’t say that they, Blizzard, are actively producing/developing/creating games. Only that they are interested in people who would like to do same. And I guess it’s appropriate to have a storefront where people can come to interview.

So what do you call Blizzard since their acqusition in 1994? The same Blizzard who put ot Diablo two years later—they weren’t REALLY Blizzard?

And what of Sierra? After being bought in 1996, they remained one of the leading developers in the industry and later transitioned in the late 90s to being a publisher. They only stopped producing/publishing games from 2008-2014, and have since resumed being a publisher.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top