• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Play style similar to Syberia/TLJ that’s not scary?

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-07-13

PM

Hi! I’ve been playing some adventure games lately and I’m really enjoying them. I know there are a lot of threads like this, but I just thought it wouldn’t be this specific.

I don’t care about how the story is laid out (future, past, present, etc) as long as it’s worth it and the play style is very similar.

I thought TLJ and Syberia had a very similar play style and this is pretty much what I’m looking for.

Also, it’s important that it’s not scary. @_@ I did hear about Secret Files… I checked (a little bit) it out on YouTube to see how it plays and the beginning cut scene scared the crap out of me. D:

-around 2:00 ... seriously, I keep remembering that before I go to bed. @_@

But anyway, there are some scary stuff in Syberia (like the cemetery bit), but that’s fine… as long as nothing jumps at you or a really scary ghost/like character.

I’d appreciate any recommendation!

PS: I’m also aware of Dreamfall, that would be the next one I’ll try.
(though I prefer if it didn’t have any combat; I also checked out Dreamfall a little bit and it has a combat system it seems… o-o I’d prefer something like the older games. just clicking and solving puzzles.)

Lucius was also good, I actually played it.. but never again. I’ve had too much trouble sleeping because of that game. I enjoyed the puzzles but just not something scary D:

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Look into Lost Horizon, I’m really enjoying it.  The Black Mirror is supposedly creepy and really good, don’t think its outright scary tho.

There are tons of old classics tho, Quest for Glory, Kings Quest etc….if you’re getting into adventure games those are must plays.

Joined 2014-07-13

PM

thank you!!! I will check them out.

man, black mirror is so eerie. interesting, but very creepy. it makes me really curious… i might play it but i dont know. LOL. i might give it a shot… during the day.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

[s]So, there is a game I’m thinking about, I haven’t played it myself, but whenever I think of a game that’s similar to Syberia, I think of that game. Of course, at this very moment I forgot its name. Think someone can remind me of it? It was a fairly known game in AG circles, from ~2005-2010 I’d say…

In short, it has a fantasy setting, and I believe you’re in a very castle-like school but everyone has disappeared.

As I said I haven’t played it but I think it got decent reviews.[/s]

(Edit): It’s Keepsake!
http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/15442

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Don’t let that early cutscene scare you, there’s nothing really scary about the Secret Files games. I can recommend both Tunguska and Puritas Cordis, btw. And I’ll second the Lost Horizon suggestion (it’s by the same devs as the Secret Files games, and it’s imo their best work).

Also, if you don’t mind older games, then I heartily recommend the entire LucasArts catalogue. Most are amongst the best games of all time…

Don’t be dissuaded by the combat in Dreamfall. There’s only a few instances where it happens, and it’s never really difficult. The hardest part is one mission where you need to sneak, but it’s also not that hard.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Why don’t you check our community playthrough of Gray Matter? Smile

Joined 2014-07-13

PM

wow thank you for all the recommendations! I will check them all out one by one.
now i have a list to go through XD

I also appreciate the comments about Dreamfall and Secret Files!
(I saw TimovieMan’s signature… holy crap there’s gonna be TLJ 3?!)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the five games futuregames gave creators of the 1st BM (excluding Limbo)are ‘somehow’ got most of the elements which might be liked at Syberia and TLJ , nice, modern graphics ,the sometimes fantasy but yet realistic outlook, traditional point and click, immersive story ,and different sorts smart puzzles and game playing.  but yet they don’t have the magic of any of the two you mentioned .

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

“Still Life” is considered by many to be one of the best adventure games of the past decade, and is one of my favorites. Has a similar playing style to “Syberia” because they share the same developer and publisher. It can get a bit controversial at times, but it’s not necessarily scary—more of a detective narrative.  I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 13 July 2014 03:52 PM

Don’t be dissuaded by the combat in Dreamfall. There’s only a few instances where it happens, and it’s never really difficult. The hardest part is one mission where you need to sneak, but it’s also not that hard.

Was I the only one that found the Borderhouse, where April lived in The Longest Journey, to be scary in Dreamfall? Definitely one of the scariest moments the first time around I remember having in gaming. I actively avoid scary games, though, so that’s not necessarily saying much.
Apart from that there wasn’t anything scary in Dreamfall.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Ozzie - interesting avatar for someone who actively avoids scary games!

Me, I actively avoid scary avatars…  Sealed Lips

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

ozzie - 14 July 2014 03:50 AM

Was I the only one that found the Borderhouse, where April lived in The Longest Journey, to be scary in Dreamfall? Definitely one of the scariest moments the first time around I remember having in gaming. I actively avoid scary games, though, so that’s not necessarily saying much.
Apart from that there wasn’t anything scary in Dreamfall.

I agree that Dreamfall had a few moments of ‘creepy’, but nothing really outright scary. But then I really should play this awesome game again (so I can finish the story with my memory completely refreshed once Chapters is out).

Kaichu - 13 July 2014 10:13 PM

wow thank you for all the recommendations! I will check them all out one by one.
now i have a list to go through XD

Check out the site’s “Top 100 All-Time Adventure Games”, or any of the recommendations links in this thread, or any of the Adventure Game Scene of the Day threads. Your list will end up being huge… Wink

And then I will welcome you to the club. Tongue

(I saw TimovieMan’s signature… holy crap there’s gonna be TLJ 3?!)

Yup, to finish up the cliffhanger ending of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. It was Kickstarted over a year ago, and is coming out later this year in episodes (should be fully released by early 2015 but delays are common with Kickstarter campaigns). See their campaign page here.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top