• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure game Tv commercials

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Are there old (or new) adventure game tv spots?

Found these old:

Secret of Monkey Island - “A game so big only Sega Cd could hold it” Smile

Riven

Kings Quest 7

Modern:

Heavy Rain

Beyond - Two Souls

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Obsidian

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That’s pretty awesome

Others:

Uru
Zork Nemesis
Phantasmagoria - this is weird, those videos don’t look from the game
Larry 2?
Dark Seed 2
Spacq Quest 4 - Horrible quality

Remembered DS games had a bunch of commercials:
Professor Layton and Unwound Future

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 12 July 2014 08:16 PM

Phantasmagoria - this is weird, those videos don’t look from the game

Probably made specifically for the commercial, with assets that were used in the intro movie and in other cutscenes from the game…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Myst 3: Exile is probably my favourite. Great music too.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2006-01-31

PM

34 commercials from 13 games (and 1 vid/slideshow full of magazine ads): LINK

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Just an obesrvation from that MI commercial, but I do find it funny in the light of modern “they’be dumbing down the games”-conversation, that one selling point on the commercial was ease of play in comparision to other adventure games.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Elum - 13 July 2014 10:07 AM

34 commercials from 13 games (and 1 vid/slideshow full of magazine ads): LINK

That’s handy. The Colonel’s Bequest one is pretty fun.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

tomimt - 13 July 2014 10:46 AM

Just an obesrvation from that MI commercial, but I do find it funny in the light of modern “they’be dumbing down the games”-conversation, that one selling point on the commercial was ease of play in comparision to other adventure games.

I noticed that too Smile It really is an interesting point, though it’s a bit obscure if they meant that the gameplay is easy or if it’s easy to play, you know? (Though I think it’s more the latter)

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

That MI commercial doesn’t really feel like something that would air on television, was it a trailer attached to something else? Or on a Sega CD promo video of some kind?

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jim Purcell - 14 July 2014 05:30 AM

That MI commercial doesn’t really feel like something that would air on television, was it a trailer attached to something else? Or on a Sega CD promo video of some kind?

Have there ever been TV commercials for computer games before the mid-to-late 90s? My guess is that most of these were destined for promo CDs, or ran before the installation of another game from the same company (or something similar).

Just like this one was included on one of the The 11th Hour CDs:

Clandestiny

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

All the Sierra commercials seem to be based around death scenes. Who said they weren’t a selling point? Tongue

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

TimovieMan - 14 July 2014 06:47 AM
Jim Purcell - 14 July 2014 05:30 AM

Have there ever been TV commercials for computer games before the mid-to-late 90s? My guess is that most of these were destined for promo CDs, or ran before the installation of another game from the same company (or something similar).

I seem to recall hearing that Sierra (and possibly other companies as well) distributed video tapes to game retailers with promotional videos to be displayed in the stores. Most of the old videos are probably from promo materials like that.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Some old Japanese adventure TV commercials:

Portopia Serial Murder Case (Famicom) (one of the adventures by Dragon Quest’s Horii; often quoted as one of the inspirations for MGS’ Kojima)
Detective Jinguuji Saburou: The Yokohama Harbor Serial Murder Case (Famicom) (the second Jinguuji Saburou / Jake Hunter game. Remade (with drastic changes) as Jake Hunter: Seaside City Conspiracy [DS]).
Great Detective Sanma (Famicom) (adventure starring a number of Japanese comedians, a lot of them still active)
Famicom Detective Club: The Disappeared Heir (Famicom Disk System) (by GameBoy’s Yokoi Gunpei and Metroid’s Sakamoto Yoshio)
Scary Stories that Happened At School (Super Famicom)

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

harald - 14 July 2014 08:28 AM

I seem to recall hearing that Sierra (and possibly other companies as well) distributed video tapes to game retailers with promotional videos to be displayed in the stores. Most of the old videos are probably from promo materials like that.

Yes, I do think this was the case with many Sierra titles and I’d think it was a common practice with other developers as well. This was addressed on some Sierra related site, I think it might have been the one that was set up by Ken Williams himself, SierraGamers I believe.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top