• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiertrooneyseagulSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your first adventure game was?

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Kings Quest 2 for me. Since then I’ve been hooked, so many memorable games since as well. I miss the Sierra and Lucas Art days so bad, just so memorable.

But yea, Kings quest 2 was my first.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2906/P15/#50973

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Someone could of played a handful before loving the genre, this is more pinpointed to everyone’s very first.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

But since my post in that thread covered both, I’ll still just quote myself. Tongue

TimovieMan - 10 January 2014 06:50 PM

I got my first PC for my Confirmation in 1993. My dad somehow got his hands on some pirated games on floppies (I still don’t know how he got them, but then, I still don’t know where anyone got original games either back then - you just didn’t find that anywhere pre-1995).
Amongst the games were three in particular that stood out. Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards, which was funny and enticing, so naturally I loved it (especially since I was 12, pubescent and horny Tongue). Then there was Space Quest which I absolutely HATED (because it was like Larry but without the funny and with lots and lots of dying). In fact, I never got passed that stalking spider-thingy when you first land on the planet, even after hundreds of attempts. That game frustrated me to no end.

But the third game was the one that started my love for adventure games. And that game was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It was a pirated 5-floppy version (so non-talkie), but it was simply amazing and so much better than all those dumb platformer games (never liked the original Prince of Persia and Commander Keen and the likes) and a nice change of pace from sports or racing games.
Being a movie buff and big Indiana Jones fan helped of course.

Plus, a cousin of mine had a PC as well then, and we were competing to finish the game first (I won with flying colours, even if he was already at Crete when I just started the game Nerd). Playing the game itself was awesome (especially because I still find it an absolutely great game), but having the chance to talk about it with someone else made it reach a whole different level.

So naturally, I showed off the game to just about anyone back then. Got a couple of friends interested in adventure games because of that, even. Cool
Actually, I’m lucky I had several adventure-gaming friends during the Golden Age of AGs. Made it all the more fun. Sadly, most of them either don’t game anymore, or at least left the genre. Meh
Sucks to be them, imo. Cool Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Pyjamarama! - Bloody thing was impossible without a walkthrough

On a more real adventure I think it was Indiana Jone and The Last Crusade.
Curse of Enchantia for playing solo and not just watching someone play a big part of it.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

A friend showed me the demo to Sam & Max: Hit the Road off a compilation CD-rom back in ‘94. I experienced a lot of my firsts off that CD since it also had demos to Little Big Adventure, Prince of Persia 2 and Jazz Jackrabbit. Pestered my parents for a PC after that.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Savatage79 - 12 July 2014 04:14 PM

Someone could of played a handful before loving the genre, this is more pinpointed to everyone’s very first.

Good point, The Hobbit from 1982 was the very first AG I played, but it wasn’t until many years later that I felt in love with the genre. I think the first Larry game was the first AG I actually enjoyed playing.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Mine was Starship Titanic.  I was new to computers as well as games, so needless to say I was lost on that ship for months.  I was such a novice that it took me the longest time to realize that to reply to Fentible at the beginning, I had to press Return (Enter) on my keyboard.  Crazy

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

First Quasi-Adventure Game: The Island of Dr. Brain

First unquestionable Adventure Game: Either Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, or The Secret of Monkey Island. It’s hard to be 100% sure as they were both part of the Lucasarts Classic Adventures compilation I got to play, and I probably checked out Indy first as I was familiar with him. But SMI was the first Adventure game I really obsessed over.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2014-07-13

PM

Monkey Island 1. I just loved that game, with all the sword fights and the way you could win them with “talk”! Brilliant!

Jaroslav

Prague is the heart of Central Europe.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-07-09

PM

Back in 1988, my first adventure game was Captain blood, by Exxos (truly unique and very ambitious). But my first traditional adventure game was Mortville Manor, by Lankhor, the same year.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’m not quite sure what my very first was, as I have an older brother who used to play a lot of adventure games. But the first experience I clearly remember is Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders and how I had no idea how to do almost anything in it as I couldn’t read yet, so it all ended up being going through everything to see if it lead to any results.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I think it was the Sierra game, Laura Bow 2.  I had to figure out how to get the clock to change. At the same time I was playing some Sherlock Holmes game too, and would switch between the two. This was at my brother’s house and I was spellbound that there were adventure games like this.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Iznogood - 12 July 2014 07:33 PM

That one ^^^^^

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars

I was quite young when I played it, but I remember being amazed by the graphics. It was like being in a cartoon show and despite struggling, I couldn’t get enough of the game. Me and my mate were playing and trying to work out who the clown was. When we finally made it down into the sewers, my mate was a bit scared. The way we kept finding clues along the walk way made him think we’re going to find the clown at any moment lol.

Eventually my mate got bored, but I kept playing. A big moment for me was Khan’s hotel room. My heart dropped when I opened the door and Khan was walking up the stairs. I genuinely thought I was going to get caught and this was it.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top