• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Anyone have any clues to a cable modem problem? The (wireless) connection appears on the computer, though the connectivity center shows the yellow warning triangle, and when trying to use internet, it doesn’t work. Of the lights, the power is on and DS blinking, rest, I believe, are off (I’m not in situ so I can’t be 100% certain about details).

There has recently been some changing of the service providers in the appartment buildings, so it might be related to that.

We’ve tried all the basic unplug-wait-plugin stuff.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

No idea, sorry UPsie.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If it works the same way it does over here, it could be a problem with the distributor box just outside the building. My best bet would be to call the provider and explain the situation…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I’m brushing up on my french for my trip to Paris next month. I’m wondering, is there an easy way to figure out what is male and what is female in the French/Spanish languages? It is so confusing to call a restaurant (le restaurant) but to call a train station (la gare). Just melting my brain Tongue

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

SoccerDude28 - 17 August 2014 05:12 PM

I’m brushing up on my french for my trip to Paris next month. I’m wondering, is there an easy way to figure out what is male and what is female in the French/Spanish languages? It is so confusing to call a restaurant (le restaurant) but to call a train station (la gare). Just melting my brain Tongue

My mother always said: what men like is female. So it’s la voiture, and la guerre but le pain and le travail. It doesn’t always work but it’s a nice rule of thumb.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

There is no easy way as there’s no clear rule of thumb. For non-native French speakers it’s done by study, for native French speakers it’s intuitive (similar to the Dutch use of the article ‘de’ for male and female words, yet the article ‘het’ for neuter words - drives non-natives bonkers).

The good part, however, is that the French don’t actually mind that much if you get it wrong and they’ll know well enough what you mean. They won’t mock you (which is what would happen if you get an article wrong in Dutch while in Flanders (*)), and they might even helpfully correct you.

(*) in the Netherlands as well, tsa?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 18 August 2014 06:33 AM

The good part, however, is that the French don’t actually mind that much if you get it wrong and they’ll know well enough what you mean. They won’t mock you (which is what would happen if you get an article wrong in Dutch while in Flanders (*)), and they might even helpfully correct you.

(*) in the Netherlands as well, tsa?

Please use my forum name tsa on the forums Timovieman. But of course the Netherlands isn’t bilingual like Belgium and we don’t have problems with fellow Dutchmen speaking the ‘wrong’ language (except maybe if you speak Friesian). So people here won’t mock you as easily as they will do in Belgium.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 18 August 2014 06:33 AM

There are several rules of thumbs, in large part depending on the origin of the word. Which is also true for other European languages like German and Dutch, even if native speakers are no longer aware of it. A German word like “Programm” is neuter because it was neuter in Greek.

Anyway, not all French nouns have rules of thumbs unfortunately. For instance, words ending in -eau are masculine. Le chateau, le bureau, le bateau, le gâteau. Exception: l’eau is feminine.

Here’s a list. http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/grammar/le_or_la_in_french.shtml
I’m sure you can find many other helpful sources. Just be grateful that you’re not going to Germany. Smile

My own experience is that the haughty French do their utmost not to understand foreigners who try to speak their language.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 18 August 2014 06:59 AM

Please use my forum name tsa on the forums Timovieman.

Fixed. Wink

But of course the Netherlands isn’t bilingual like Belgium and we don’t have problems with fellow Dutchmen speaking the ‘wrong’ language (except maybe if you speak Friesian). So people here won’t mock you as easily as they will do in Belgium.

Except that we’ll usually mock bad French, bad German and bad English as well even in pot-kettle-black situations. I think it’s got more to do with being a nation that was always conquered, and never did it’s own conquering (not counting the colonies). Sort of a historically acquired trait of “mocking the oppressors”... Tongue

Karlok - 18 August 2014 10:25 AM

My own experience is that the haughty French do their utmost not to understand foreigners who try to speak their language.

In my experience, that’s only when they think you’re German, and only in certain parts (that were particularly brutalized during the Second World War).
Plus that’s only with older people. Younger people are also generally more fluent in English, so you have that as backup.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Thanks a ton guys and gals for your suggestions. That is tons of rules to remember, but I’m glad they won’t make fun of me if I butcher their language. Sometimes I wish I studied French as my primary language growing up in Lebanon rather than English, since most of my friends who studied French when they were young are also fluent in English, whereas my friends who studied English like me can barely speak French Tongue

Speaking of French

Joseph Gordon-Levitt trying to speak french. I probably sound worse than he does Grin

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 18 August 2014 12:12 PM

In my experience, that’s only when they think you’re German, and only in certain parts (that were particularly brutalized during the Second World War). Plus that’s only with older people. Younger people are also generally more fluent in English, so you have that as backup.

Well, that may still happen too in some places, although I haven’t experienced it myself. What I meant was that the national attitude of the French also determines the way they behave towards foreigners. Each country has its own unique national “mindset”.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 19 August 2014 06:13 AM

Well, that may still happen too in some places, although I haven’t experienced it myself.

It does happen, I’ve experienced that. I have an aunt who lives in the south (well, south-ish, at least) of France and while visiting there, some Dutch tourists were trying to ask for directions. The townspeople outright refused to understand what they were asking until I stepped in to translate. Then they asked me if I knew German as well, so I said “no, it’s Dutch, they’re from the Netherlands”. They immediately started giving the correct directions (without me translating what the Dutch tourists had asked so they DID understand it before).
Turns out that an entire town nearby was massacred (over 150 dead) during the Second World War. If you’re German, you won’t get a friendly reception in that area…

What I meant was that the national attitude of the French also determines the way they behave towards foreigners. Each country has its own unique national “mindset”.

In my experience (and I grew up within 100 yards of the French border - and it’s still only about 10 miles now), they’re surprisingly lenient if you try to speak French (even though it’s not a language you’re fluent in).
But yes, chances are they’ll be less helpful if you don’t try in French and immediately start in English. I had an uncle who was French, and he was the same way: he understood Dutch Flemish perfectly but he never spoke it. But he’d like you a lot more if you spoke French to him instead of Flemish (and he really wasn’t subtle about it). Tongue

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Don’t forget the fact that the French are notorious for their inability to speak a second language next to French and especially if it’s in English.
Some French near the german border even prefer German to English, despite the 2nd world war happenings.

Even the younger generation have extreme difficulty to repond in English and in most cases will try to avoid it.
I have several French friends, but I can only address them in French. Any conversation in English will last 10 seconds max Wink

Coincidently, during this year’s eurovision song contest, France was the only nation that provided their scores in French, rather than the traditional English.

And when there is a FIFA worldcup address, then almost always the presentations are done in French and English. (though that may be linked to Blatter and Platini   Frown )

The germans and the italians have overcome this hurdle with a little more grace than France it appears.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

subbi - 20 August 2014 03:33 AM

Don’t forget the fact that the French are notorious for their inability to speak a second language next to French and especially if it’s in English.

Very true. How many posters here are French? Virtually none.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

That I could not say….and I honestly don’t know.

There could be many and they would represent the minority that speaks English relatively well. But it would in no way be a representation of the broader french audience.

It appears to me that most people on this site are pretty well educated and have little issue with English.
Of course, it’s writing only here and that is something very different from actively speaking a language.

I donot dare to claim that the French lack english writing skills aswel Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top