• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #28: Gray Matter

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

UPtimist - 08 August 2014 04:56 PM

because at the time I will be finished, this thread is probably quite dead

Not with me around! Laughing

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

As for Gray Matter 2, the setting given in the Kickstarter was that David and Sam go over to Angela’s home island to explore the strange abilities that manifest there. So there could very well be some loose ends tied in GM2

Well, to be honest, maybe an ipad as well as a PC version could sell. The GK2 Remake is going to go bang, so they will have some capital to play with as a hit game in their pedigree too.

I would LOVE an ipad GM2. Bottom line.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 08 August 2014 01:56 PM
UPtimist - 08 August 2014 01:33 PM
Iznogood - 08 August 2014 10:26 AM

As I said the whole Laura part was left unresolved, so perhaps it was meant as a teaser for a sequel, or perhaps just a teaser in general. I however don’t think it is very likely that a sequel ever will be made.

Why don’t you think that?

...Especially since one of the game choices JJ gave to her fans for her to make was GM2 (Moebius was voted instead, but that doesn’t mean that there is no hope. Wink )

Because:

1) As you said: Moebius won instead, and even though it wasn’t received very well it was planned as a whole series of games, also allegedly Anglophile Adventure was Jane Jensen’s own favourite, and after the GK1 remake Activision will probably be looking into making a new GK game. So all in all I believe GM2 is pretty low on JJ’s priority list. This is of course only speculations on my part and I might be completely wrong.

2) Sam and Styles as travelling investigators of paranormal activity Meh I don’t quite buy it.
What made GM a good story is that it is also a very personal story for Dr. Styles, with Laura’s dead as the pivot point on which the whole story revolves. Without Laura it would just turn into another GK, BS, SF, MM ... series. A sequel to GM might end up being made, but I’m not convinced it is actually a good idea.

By the way, did you know that Sam was actually wrong about the syringes in the box in Helena’s room? I don’t remember if it was actually revealed in the game though, but Jane has since said in the Reddit AMA when the Kickstarter was hot that *drumroll…*

Yes - I remember that from my previous playthrough, though on this playthrough I somehow missed that part, similar to the necklace part that I also missed. I’m not sure how or where it was revealed in-game, but as I recall it was revealed in-game. I also seem to recall having a conversation in the diner next to the Daedalus Club between either Sam and Helena or Styles and Helena, which I didn’t have in this playthrough either. Of course my mind might be playing tricks on me, but why place the diner there if it doesn’t play any part in the game?

BTW did you notice that the syringes looked kind of antique, and not like modern syringes, not to mention that diabetics don’t actually use syringes any more but instead other tools like an injection pen.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

So, I’ve finished the game - now, I have to ask, did the ending come as a surprise to anyone?

Was the ending unexpected for anyone or could you see it coming?

Do you feel the end tied the game up well and do you want to play another game?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I have been messing around with the diaries in this game, which I’ve ignored up to now. I thought a transcript of all dialog was a bit clumsy for a diary at first, but now that I’ve dipped into it, I find it really helps. Most of the cutscenes can be replayed in the diaries too (you can only access Sam’s diary in her chapters, and Styles’ diary in his chapters).

Significant spoilers below—to be read only after you’ve finished the game.

Simon Helborn (apt name???) really has no excuse when Sam finds him exiting Styles’ private lab. He says he was there to help out a friend. What on earth does that mean? Was the “friend”—Styles? Was he “helping” Styles by sneaking around in his lab? I don’t think so. So who is the friend that Helborn is helping by finding evidence that Styles thinks that Laura is manifesting so clearly that he can actually touch her?

Remember when Sam finds the shiny new key to the tower with a view of Styles’ bedroom? Who made the copy of the key so they could access the tower? Maybe someone who knows Dread House well enough to know where the key is kept? Someone like Simon who tells Sam that he knows the house well?

I think the “Bride of Frankenstein” Daedalus Club paper blowing in the breeze at the end isn’t meant to be perfectly clear—I think we’re supposed to be guessing if it’s part of the next installment, or if it’s already happened. I’m voting for it already having happened. Angela appearing as Laura on the balcony to Styles’ bedroom all dressed in white seems pretty bride-like to me.

Styles, like Victor Frankenstein, thought he was doing something positive with his experiments. He wanted to bring his dead bride back to life, at least to enjoy the presence of her spirit. But he was ready to be convinced, despite all his scientific training, that she could manifest in physical form. If Sam hadn’t intervened, my bet is that he wouldn’t have figured out who the “bride” actually was until the following morning.

And through his experiment, Styles (like Frankenstein) inadvertently created a monster. By game’s end Angela looks like a monster, with her wild, frizzy hair and red eyes, and her awkward, stumbling gait in the church. She didn’t mean to hurt anyone during the experiments—I think she was appalled when she discovered what had happened in the dining hall. But she certainly was willing to murder when the “bride” scene was interrupted and her identity was uncovered.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky, are your spoilers after you’ve finished the game, or after the 7th chapter?

BTW, I’m really liking the beginning of the 8th chapter - it really feels like Alice in Wonderland! The only minor gripes are that the game didn’t “hint” in any way the we should expect the devil’s machine two times, apart from the hotspot different to other machines in the room. It would have been helpful if a player was given closeup with the word “down” the first time he/she checks it. Also, it’s not a big deal but the atmosphere was slightly ruined when I exited the room only to be found at the street again. Perhaps they could make some sort of a labyrinth where you end up in the first screen of the underground rooms, not outside the building.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The spoilers are for after you’ve finished the game. I’ll make a note of it in the post.  Thanks!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 10 August 2014 08:06 AM

Simon Helborn (apt name???) really has no excuse when Sam finds him…

I don’t think there is more to this than what he says: He is worried about his friend David Styles, want to find out what he is up to and make sure he hasn’t gone completely bonkers.

Remember when Sam finds the shiny new key to the tower with a view of Styles’ bedroom…

Getting a a key to this kind of old doors with a generic lock is as far as I know not a big deal, you can probably buy them directly from most locksmiths. Worst case Angela would have to break into the house and steal the key from wherever it was kept, but this is somewhat invalidated by the fact that it is a shiny new key and not the original. Also remember that she has actually broken in to the house on several occasions, so she certainly wouldn’t need Simon’s help.

I think the “Bride of Frankenstein” Daedalus Club paper blowing in the breeze at the end isn’t meant to be perfectly clear…

I agree that it isn’t perfectly clear what it is meant to symbolise, my own favourite interpretation is however still that Dr. Frankenstein refers to Dr. Styles and Bride to Sam, i.e. that they end up getting married.

Regarding the rest: Sure you can compare Styles to Frankenstein and Angela to the monster, but unlike Frankenstein he didn’t create the monster. Remember that Angela’s farther was killed in a fire, most likely started by Angela, and she had certainly done similar things before like when killing Laura, not to mention that she had been stalking Styles for a long time before the experiments.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

diego - 08 August 2014 05:31 PM

because at the time I will be finished, this thread is probably quite dead

Not with me around! Laughing

I wouldn’t be so sure Wink

Iznogood - 10 August 2014 09:45 AM

I think the “Bride of Frankenstein” Daedalus Club paper blowing in the breeze at the end isn’t meant to be perfectly clear…

I agree that it isn’t perfectly clear what it is meant to symbolise, my own favourite interpretation is however still that Dr. Frankenstein refers to Dr. Styles and Bride to Sam, i.e. that they end up getting married.

Personally, [spoiler]I don’t feel that would be fitting at all. First of all, I don’t see it suiting either of the characters (that is, neither of them would go for the other), and secondly after the relationship they formed so far it would be unnatural that they would have any romantic feelings for each other. A Mulder-Scully thing at most, but I don’t buy that either.[/spoiler]

Unless of course it’s a very loosely symbolic “marriage” - that they will become companions, a team. But definitely no (romantic) relationship.

To me, the Angela-interpretation sounds much better, not to be compared too strictly. And I also feel the fact that it’s (as I understood? don’t remember now since I haven’t finished yet) a loose page on the ground symbolizes the fact that that it’s a thing of the past.

Regarding the rest: Sure you can compare Styles to Frankenstein and Angela to the monster, but unlike Frankenstein he didn’t create the monster. Remember that Angela’s farther was killed in a fire, most likely started by Angela, and she had certainly done similar things before like when killing Laura, not to mention that she had been stalking Styles for a long time before the experiments.

Well, David did still in a way create the “monster” since he blew her off when he came to open to her about her “gift”. And maybe she’d been stalking him only in the sense that she’d been trying to assess whether he’s really the right person to open up to (and having a crush on him too).

I also am not sure that Angela had done anything so bad before or (accidentally) killed his father - as I understood it her father had similar abilities too.

Of course, I’m still missing the last two chapters in recent memory so if anything was implicitly said that contradicts what I just said then please do correct me Smile

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

UPtimist - 10 August 2014 11:19 AM

Personally, [spoiler]I don’t feel that would be fitting at all. First of all, I don’t see it suiting either of the characters (that is, neither of them would go for the other), and secondly after the relationship they formed so far it would be unnatural that they would have any romantic feelings for each other. A Mulder-Scully thing at most, but I don’t buy that either.[/spoiler]

Unless of course it’s a very loosely symbolic “marriage” - that they will become companions, a team. But definitely no (romantic) relationship.

[spoiler]The Lady doth protest to much…[/spoiler] - Helana

I also am not sure that Angela had done anything so bad before or (accidentally) killed his father - as I understood it her father had similar abilities too.

[spoiler]Angela listen to me. What happened to your farther was not your fault. He loved you. He would have wanted you to get help.[/spoiler] - Styles

It just struck me, one thing we haven’t discussed at all so far is the guest appearance of the ghost of Angela’s farther in the end scene. What’s up with that? To me it appeared like he actually wanted Angela to jump! But perhaps it isn’t actually his ghost but just a mirage created by Angela’s imagination?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 10 August 2014 01:54 PM

It just struck me, one thing we haven’t discussed at all so far is the guest appearance of the ghost of Angela’s farther in the end scene. What’s up with that? To me it appeared like he actually wanted Angela to jump! But perhaps it isn’t actually his ghost but just a mirage created by Angela’s imagination?

I interpreted it as something created by Angela.

For the Bride of Frankestein ending, I thought it was a teaser for a possible sequel, can’t really see the connection to the game plot. At some point during the game I thought David was thinking about trying to ressurect his wife but it never went that way.

In the end no spirits were involved (except for maybe IMPOSTER word) or any grand game, only someone that unlocked brain capacity gaining telekinetic or pyrokinetic abilities.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Iznogood - 10 August 2014 01:54 PM

[spoiler]The Lady doth protest to much…[/spoiler] - Helana

[spoiler]Angela listen to me. What happened to your farther was not your fault. He loved you. He would have wanted you to get help.[/spoiler] - Styles

Well I need to really finish the game Wink Thanks for the reminders!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

A subtle Phantasmagoria reference? Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

First of all, I don’t see it suiting either of the characters (that is, neither of them would go for the other), and secondly after the relationship they formed so far it would be unnatural that they would have any romantic feelings for each other. A Mulder-Scully thing at most.

I could not agree more - I just don’t see these two together at all in a romantic way. I would like to see the two of them do another game - but no romance between them - I do see respect between - but no chemistry.

Heart

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Mikekelly - 10 August 2014 08:00 AM

So, I’ve finished the game - now, I have to ask, did the ending come as a surprise to anyone?

Was the ending unexpected for anyone or could you see it coming?

Do you feel the end tied the game up well and do you want to play another game?

Heart

The first time I played this game, the ending came as a surprise. This probably goes to show what a gothic atmosphere can do, but I particularly remember thinking that the sighting of Laura on the stairs in the white dress had an unearthly haze around it. On the second playthrough, of course I could see that it didn’t. The first time I played, I thought the game would reveal more significant appearances by Laura at the end.

Yes, I thought the ending tied things up pretty well. I’d love to play Gray Matter 2.

Re: unintentional results of Styles’ experiments—(spoilers for those who haven’t finished the game):

The experiment greatly magnified Angela’s abilities—you could see something starting in her brain on the scans, and by the next minute, all the brains of the students hooked up together electronically were affected. On her own, Angela seemed able to create flames and heat things up (the controls in the car that created the accident must have been fused by heat). Once hooked up to other brains, Angela could create a hurricane-like wind, move heavy objects at frightening speed, change the color of water, and paint patterns. All without any intention or memory of having unleashed these forces.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top