• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #28: Gray Matter

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 20 July 2014 11:47 AM

So, even though I might agree with Iznogood that a sci-fi rarely gets it “right” on the short term, it IS still that core idea that has driven the science forward. You know, I’m sure someone was writing and making movies 50-100 years ago about people communicating with real-time video, it’s just that he didn’t call it “Skype”. Smile

I would say that sci-fi rarely gets it right on the long term but are often close when it comes to the short term, which also makes sense as it is easier to make short term predictions, just ask a meteorologist Wink

But to your core argument: Sure, science is also about imagination and creativity, and before you can even begin to formulate a theory, then you first have to ask some “what if” or “why not” questions and at least to some degree reject was is generally accepted as true. Where science and sci-fi however part ways is that science, or at least “hard science”, is more about understanding how the universe works then it is about spaceships and whatnot, whereas sci-fi is more about “what if” we could fly around in FTL spaceships and visit other planets etc. In other words Einstein couldn’t care less about Skype Wink

You could argue that Gray Matter resembles sci-fi in the way, that the game asks the question “what if” the dead somehow lives on and can communicate with the living, but not so much science because it doesn’t ask the question of how the dead can live on… That is also fine, because it is not fictions role to ask or answer the “how” questions, hence the Gene Roddenberry quote, but it is the role of science (hence my new sig).

BTW: Did everyone notice that [spoiler]Laura’s dress are missing from the wardrobe? Stole or taken by someone or something[/spoiler], Laura’s ghost perhaps?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 20 July 2014 01:19 PM

BTW, as I already said, I really liked the 5th chapter mostly because of a “park section”. As said, there’re no many puzzles here, but the “flashback” “puzzle”, even though it is based on pure guessing (or am I missing something?)

Yes - you are missing something: Styles calender, which describes what he had planned for that day. There is I believe only one single case where you have to guess, the rest can be read from the calendar.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 20 July 2014 02:25 PM

BTW: Did everyone notice that [spoiler]Laura’s dress are missing from the wardrobe? Stole or taken by someone or something[/spoiler], Laura’s ghost perhaps?

Clearly someone. Why would a ghost need a dressMeh

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

wilco - 20 July 2014 03:54 PM
Iznogood - 20 July 2014 02:25 PM

Clearly someone. Why would a ghost need a dressMeh

Obviously it was Mrs Dalton who sent it to the cleaning service. Wink

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 20 July 2014 02:32 PM

Yes - you are missing something: Styles calender, which describes what he had planned for that day. There is I believe only one single case where you have to guess, the rest can be read from the calendar.

Wait, what calendar? Yes, the appointment book says about the dinner the night before, but about all those stuff we need to know during the hypnosis?

edit: Oh, you’re right, I just loaded the save game. But the “problem” is that David quickly disregards that other activities and focuses on the dinner (whoever took note of those details and solved the hypnosis based on it has my full admiration Grin). Even then, we can only know about Dr. Headley and office hours, but what about the shower and coffee shop? Also, was “Neural Activity on Infants” mentioned in some of the documents? Guessing that it’s a “female” student was an easy one.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 20 July 2014 06:45 PM

edit: Oh, you’re right, I just loaded the save game. But the “problem” is that David quickly disregards that other activities and focuses on the dinner (whoever took note of those details and solved the hypnosis based on it has my full admiration Grin).

Why thank you Sir - Though I must admit I chose morning sex with Laura even though I was 99.99% sure the correct answer was shower because… Well lest just say the given the option between morning sex and a cold shower I never chose the latter Smile

diego - 20 July 2014 06:45 PM

Even then, we can only know about Dr. Headley and office hours, but what about the shower and coffee shop? Also, was “Neural Activity on Infants” mentioned in some of the documents? Guessing that it’s a “female” student was an easy one.

If I remember correctly one of the papers Sam had to file, was a publication by Styles from the same year, that was titled “Neural Activity in Infants”, and didn’t Headley mention something to Sam about meeting styles in a café on that day, or is that just my imagination?
Either way I had written down the contents of the appointment book and wasn’t in much doubt about the other.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Completely irrelevant, but: reading in Pinkerton Road forums, apparently the “Mats Söderlund” in the list of residents really is a reference to specifically Günther, as apparently Helena also has a magazine in her room with his face on it….

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

You could argue that Gray Matter resembles sci-fi in the way, that the game asks the question “what if” the dead somehow lives on and can communicate with the living, but not so much science because it doesn’t ask the question of how the dead can live on…

To me, Gray Matter is more a horror game, but yes, it does have some Science Fiction elements. Sort of like Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein.

At this point in the game, I’m very curious about what is REALLY going on and how the game is going to end. For me, 2nd playthroughs are always good because you can pick up things you missed the first time around.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Absolutely loving this game, but holy god the drop down inventory disappears so many times even when my cursor is there.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Savatage79 - 22 July 2014 12:21 PM

Absolutely loving this game, but holy god the drop down inventory disappears so many times even when my cursor is there.

Well then, sounds like there are at least some benefits to the XBox version Grin On the Box you just press Y for the inventory and it sticks…

Anyways, great to hear you’re loving it too!

And by the way, how awesome is it that it actually got a console release? I mean, the only other (non-remake) I can think of off the top of my head is Dreamfall Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Can we start chapter 6?
Sound the Sefir-signal!

Smile

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

UPtimist - 22 July 2014 05:06 PM
Savatage79 - 22 July 2014 12:21 PM

Well then, sounds like there are at least some benefits to the XBox version Grin On the Box you just press Y for the inventory and it sticks…

Anyways, great to hear you’re loving it too!

And by the way, how awesome is it that it actually got a console release? I mean, the only other (non-remake) I can think of off the top of my head is Dreamfall Smile

Ah that’s great it hit Xbox, is it hitting X1 by chance or is it on X1 as is?

Yea its a great game, its quickly becoming one of my favorites. The idea behind performing tricks for parts in the game I totally adore, absolutely love it.

Yea the inventory drop down is wonky but that’s minor, love the game!

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

ARE WE READY FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER ???
Of course we are!!

I personally liked the previous Dr. Styles episode, especially the last part, (where I guessed all the correct answers by pure logic/the blurry background). It is now Samantha again, a very nice chapter with lots of investigation. And by investigation, I mean break-ins, manipulations, vandalism and of course stealing!!

You have until the 30th of July to finish this chapter!!

Until then, here is a little something to haunt your thoughts…

And in case you are wondering why I chose this shot instead of all these marvellous park surroundings, you probably have to blame the “Is GM a ghost story?” discusssion. Smile

Tip of the week: Sometimes the best rewarding art criticism is the most extreme one.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Bring it on! Of course, I’m still behind but that was to be expected Grin Hopefully I’ll be able to catch up.

There were parts in chapter 5 that I had totally forgotten about, like [s]Christopher Lee’s[/s] Dr. Ramusskin’s house. Always nice to be “surprised” on a second playthrough Smile

Savatage79 - 22 July 2014 05:22 PM

Ah that’s great it hit Xbox, is it hitting X1 by chance or is it on X1 as is?

Oh no, I’m afraid not. Just the 360. Was it three years ago that it released? Anyways, I doubt it sold very large numbers on the XBox, I’m afraid…

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I finished chapter 6 last night, so let me just check my list

Sefir - 22 July 2014 05:52 PM

It is now Samantha again, a very nice chapter with lots of investigation. And by investigation, I mean break-ins, manipulations, vandalism and of course stealing!!

Theft - Check
Breaking and Entering - Well we have already done plenty of that, but still - Check
Vandalism - Check (Actually made me feel a bit guilty)
Blackmail - Check
Illegal phone tap - Check
Falsifying documents - Check (Technically not in this chapter, but now it is on the list)
Slander - Check
Getting someone fired - Check
Framing others for her own crimes - Check
Impersonating someone - Check
Making baseless accusations - Check
Playing dirty tricks on your friends - Check, nothing new here, but her tricks seem to be getting nastier.

It just struck me - Sam really isn’t a very nice girl!

Or perhaps she is just too infatuated by Styles to see what she is actually doing, and can’t recognize the lines between harmless tricks and more serious actions with real consequences anymore? I mean for all we know next she will be committing arson and mur…

Oh Dear… Well I’m sure this wasn’t Sam’s fault!

Edit: Added Slander which I had forgotten, anything else I have forgotten on the list?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top