• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Exogenesis: Cryospore - Sci/Fi Point & Click Adventure

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2006-07-28

PM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let people know about a game that we’ve been working on for the last couple of years. The project has been a little slow to get off the ground but we’re finally at a point where production is really ramping up. We’re aiming for a December 31st release date for Chapter 1.

Heavily inspired by Sierra & Lucasarts games of old, Exogenesis: Cryospore will be true science-fiction, exploring both the universe and the human condition.

The first Chapter will see us introduced to Kayla, a 22-year-old biogenetics student who is on vacation visiting her father on the Cryospore, an ageing military ship that has been re-purposed for deep space research in the middle of the Vela nebula. One of the ship’s navigation instruments has a calibration problem and her father has asked her to check it out as he’s busy in the lab. I don’t want to ruin the story so I’ll stop there.

This will be a 3rd-person point-and-click adventure game, and ideally we’ll release on PC, Mac, Android and iOS.

For anyone interested in the technical aspects, the backgrounds are modelled and rendered in 3dsmax, then hand-painted. Finally, atmospheric animations are layered over the top. So to be clear, backgrounds are 2D at full HD resolution. Characters will be modeled realtime in 3d (simliar to the Black Mirror series and any number of recent adventure games).

Please visit our website for more screenshots -

http://www.exogenesis-adventure.com/a-new-space-adventure/

Ask away with any questions you may have! Smile

Image Attachments

screen1-small.jpg
screen2-small.jpg

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Screenshots are awesome, but please don’t do episodic releases. Unless each “chapter” is like a full blown standalone sequel, breaking up adventure games into episodes almost never works. It also often times dooms the projects. Just release a full game.

Joined 2006-07-28

PM

IHi RockNFknRoll, the way we’ve planned this out is that each chapter will contain a story arc that reaches a conclusion by the end of that chapter, however there will be a broader overarching story that will be progressed as each chapter of the game is finished. I’d love to do as you suggest and create one enormous game, however we don’t have the funds to support that at present.

The first chapter should equal around 3-4 hours of solid gameplay. Future chapters will be longer as we’ll (hopefully) have a stronger funding base to work from if it’s well-received.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

the problem is a substantial number of people who are interested want to wait until they can play the full thing, so then chapter 1 inevitably doesn’t bring in the funds for the rest, or its so little it cripples the development, and then the story never gets finished and people have a really bad impression of the game.

At least that’s my experience with episodic releases that are meant to be self-funding. I wish you luck with yours, again it looks awesome

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

When you have a workable alpha, you could also try the Kickstarter route (the more you can show the better chance you’ll have). Just keep in mind that Kickstarter takes a lot of preparation and work as well - it’s not a money-machine…

Spybreaka - 02 June 2014 02:02 AM

Heavily inspired by Sierra & Lucasarts games of old, Exogenesis: Cryospore will be true science-fiction, exploring both the universe and the human condition.

This sentence fascinates me, as neither Sierra nor LucasArts ever tackled true science-fiction (the closest thing to it is the comedy-filled Space Quest series). How does that inspiration work in this particular story?

Edit: and The Dig. Mustn’t forget The Dig!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

TimovieMan - 02 June 2014 03:58 PM

This sentence fascinates me, as neither Sierra nor LucasArts ever tackled true science-fiction (the closest thing to it is the comedy-filled Space Quest series). How does that inspiration work in this particular story?

What would you call The Dig then?

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jabod - 02 June 2014 04:11 PM

What would you call The Dig then?

Good point, but The Dig is probably the least characteristic of LucasArts’ games, and it takes place in present day, which lessens the science fiction part of it somewhat, imo…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-07-28

PM

TimovieMan - 02 June 2014 03:58 PM

When you have a workable alpha, you could also try the Kickstarter route (the more you can show the better chance you’ll have). Just keep in mind that Kickstarter takes a lot of preparation and work as well - it’s not a money-machine…

Spybreaka - 02 June 2014 02:02 AM

Edit: and The Dig. Mustn’t forget The Dig!

My language was a little clumsy there. I didn’t mean to conflate SIerra / Lucasarts with true science fiction. What I meant to say was that inspiration for creating a point and click adventure comes from many wonderful memories spent playing both Sierra & Lucasarts adventure games. The goal, however, is for Exogenesis to tackle the subject matter of science fiction with respect and intellectual rigour - there will be humour but the overall atmosphere will strike a more serious tone than that of, for example, Space Quest.

Ideas in the game draw from the likes of Asimov, Philip K Dick, Jules Verne, TV shows like Babylon 5 and Star Trek, films like Silent Running, Solaris and the Forbidden Planet to name just a few. Rich in existential questions, philosophical and political subtext.

Joined 2006-07-28

PM

RockNFknRoll - 02 June 2014 01:50 PM

the problem is a substantial number of people who are interested want to wait until they can play the full thing, so then chapter 1 inevitably doesn’t bring in the funds for the rest, or its so little it cripples the development, and then the story never gets finished and people have a really bad impression of the game.

At least that’s my experience with episodic releases that are meant to be self-funding. I wish you luck with yours, again it looks awesome

I get what you’re saying here, however what I am trying to create is a universe that will work well in an episodic format. Think of Babylon 5 and the way in which each episode has a self-contained story arc but also contributes to a broader overarching story.

The ideas and concepts that can be explored within the boundaries of an adventure game are enormous. I’d love to create enough momentum for this to become a series that continues for years as I have a lot I’d like to explore in the within the medium of the game.

I’ve created a game mechanic that makes sense within the story that will allow Kayla to gradually explore various regions of the galaxy, where short stories will play out - self-contained but ultimately each will contribute to the broader story. Each short story will instill personal growth in your character - Kayla will learn more about life, existence, and the universe - and hopefully so will the player.

Good science-fiction gives us pause for reflection. Great science-fiction makes that experience awesome and cathartic. That’s what I want to achieve.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Came in here thinking the topic was about this adventure/ visual novel game that was just funded on kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2921787/exogenesis-post-apocalyptic-tokyo-adventure-visual?ref=discovery

This one looks interesting too but you might want to reconsider the name.

Joined 2006-07-28

PM

TheLongestJourney - 03 June 2014 02:40 AM

Came in here thinking the topic was about this adventure/ visual novel game that was just funded on kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2921787/exogenesis-post-apocalyptic-tokyo-adventure-visual?ref=discovery

This one looks interesting too but you might want to reconsider the name.

I just spotted this one actually (been out of the Kickstarter loop for a little while). It does pose a little challenge as we have been operating under this name for quite a while now, albeit behind closed doors.

That said, we don’t want to confuse people or step on any toes so will need to consider our options.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

amazing screens!!  would love to see the characters in them too though.  this one looks great

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Spybreaka - 02 June 2014 09:56 PM
RockNFknRoll - 02 June 2014 01:50 PM

I get what you’re saying here, however what I am trying to create is a universe that will work well in an episodic format. Think of Star Trek TNG and the way in which each episode has a self-contained story arc but also contributes to a broader overarching story.

The ideas and concepts that can be explored within the boundaries of an adventure game are enormous. I’d love to create enough momentum for this to become a series that continues for years as I have a lot I’d like to explore in the within the medium of the game.

I’ve created a game mechanic that makes sense within the story that will allow Kayla to gradually explore various regions of the galaxy, where short stories will play out - self-contained but ultimately each will contribute to the broader story. Each short story will instill personal growth in your character - Kayla will learn more about life, existence, and the universe - and hopefully so will the player.

Good science-fiction gives us pause for reflection. Great science-fiction makes that experience awesome and cathartic. That’s what I want to achieve.

It reminds me of Star Trek 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites games from Interplay.
Sounds interesting.

Joined 2006-07-28

PM

syn - 03 June 2014 03:41 AM

amazing screens!!  would love to see the characters in them too though.  this one looks great

Character art is a little while off but watch this space Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Spybreaka - 02 June 2014 09:47 PM

Ideas in the game draw from the likes of Asimov, Philip K Dick, Jules Verne, TV shows like Babylon 5 and Star Trek, films like Silent Running, Solaris and the Forbidden Planet to name just a few. Rich in existential questions, philosophical and political subtext.

Well, well, well. With those references, colour me intrigued! Thumbs Up

Also, do check out Stasis, which is an isometric sci-fi AG that is currently in development (with the partial aid of Kickstarter). It brushes on a few similar questions and a somewhat similar subtext, imo.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top