• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

I’ve been completely out of the loop for the last few years, what do you recommend?

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2004-11-03

PM

I have a fairly particular preference when it comes to Adventure games.  I don’t like cartoony graphics.  And I’m not a huge fan of FBI crime style games.  I just like being dropped into a good story.

My all time favorites are in the Syberia/TLJ style.  I like the realistic art style, the stories, and prefer being able to control a character.  Other examples would be Gray Matter, the Secret Files series, etc.

I haven’t been keeping up with the genre for about 3 years now and would like to know if anything has come out that might interest me.  Thanks! Cool

EDIT: Made some edits to hopefully better clarify.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

badmojo - 01 June 2014 02:25 PM

I don’t like… crime style games… and I don’t like cartoony adventures.

My all time favorites are ...Broken Sword style.

Anyway, you might like Chains of Satinav/Memoria.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2004-11-03

PM

diego - 01 June 2014 02:29 PM

I don’t like… crime style games… and I don’t like cartoony adventures.

My all time favorites are ...Broken Sword style.

Anyway, you might like Chains of Satinav/Memoria.

Haha, my mistake.. I’ve only played Broken Sword Sleeping Dragon, which kind of strayed away from the cartoony theme of the previous ones.

I will check those out, thanks.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Gabriel Knight.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Gemini Rue; Primordia; Blackwell series

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Could you give examples of crime games you didnt like? Im not sure what “fbi crime” means other than the fbi being involved.
But yeah its a safe bet you should play the blackwell games, and primordia.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

All adventure games that were Kickstarted: Broken Sword 5 (semi-cartoon), Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (FMV/3D), Moebius, Armikrog and Asylum (upcoming). Those are the best things coming from old-school game designers.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I don’t like cartoony graphics.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Ether one, among the sleep, gone home, the walking dead and beyond two souls.

I would say broken sword 3 is in 3d, but it is done with a cartoon style.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d say all the really good adventures that have come out lately have a varied level of “cartoon” style art. Broken Sword 5 is great, but has cartoonish style. Broken Age is good as well, but looks even more like a cartoon.

Then there’s Tesla Effect of course, which has more realistic style it being a FMV game and all. It’s 1st person adventure though, but you can move in the areas freely like in FPS games.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Doom - 01 June 2014 06:26 PM

All adventure games that were Kickstarted: Broken Sword 5 (semi-cartoon), Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (FMV/3D), Moebius, Armikrog and Asylum (upcoming). Those are the best things coming from old-school game designers.

lol, stop trolling.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Based on your preferences, I’d recommend “Memento Mori 2” - it is very good and should be a favorite of yours in the years to come.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Origami - 02 June 2014 05:47 AM

lol, stop trolling.

Just because you and a bunch of game journalists don’t like Moebius doesn’t mean it’s a bad game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I have a fairly particular preference when it comes to Adventure games.  I don’t like cartoony graphics.  And I’m not a huge fan of FBI crime style games.  I just like being dropped into a good story.

My all time favorites are in the Syberia/TLJ style.  I like the realistic art style, the stories, and prefer being able to control a character.  Other examples would be Gray Matter, the Secret Files series, etc.

I haven’t been keeping up with the genre for about 3 years now and would like to know if anything has come out that might interest me.  Thanks! 8)

EDIT: Made some edits to hopefully better clarify.

Well, you didn’t miss much…

Maybe, Broken Sword 5, although it has cartoony gfx.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If you liked the Secret Files games, then you should love Lost Horizon (it’s by the same devs, but it’s imo their best effort to date, and it felt very Indiana Jones-like to me, in a ‘30s globe-trotting way). Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 02 June 2014 03:45 PM

If you liked the Secret Files games, then you should love Lost Horizon (it’s by the same devs, but it’s imo their best effort to date, and it felt very Indiana Jones-like to me, in a ‘30s globe-trotting way). 8)

Absolutely (I didn’t consider it so recent), excellent game, real adventure, it reminds me somewhat of Heart of China).

Again, like Runaway, it’s very underrated here.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top