• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypants

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The big “THE LAST EXPRESS” thread!

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

FunnyML - 10 August 2013 05:43 AM
veruncheek - 13 December 2012 07:24 PM

I think there are not only 3, but 4 variations depending on wheter you read Schmidt’s letter, Kronos’s spy letters, letter to Anna and possibly if you follow her to her compartment and even more actions might be important. Let me know if you have any more ideas, I might check it out more later, but I do not have so much time now…

I have all the files (cutscenes, animations, dialogues etc.) converted from the game, and I think there were more than 3 variations. I haven’t checked all files yet.

Let me know if you found out some other variation(s) of the cutscene. I will replay the game in September, I hope. There are now only details that can surprise me, after all those years, but it is still great…

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Hell yeah!!!
Today TLE was relased for Android. I bought it and play it right now. Very good, very good :-) Even on my small Sony Xperia. After playing it on iPad I must say I am surprised that even such a small screen suits it well.

Check details and screenshots here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dotemu.thelastexpress

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2263462895/

http://www.facebook.com/lastexpress

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

“The Last Express is a complete, faithful Android version of the internationally-acclaimed 1997 PC classic”

Going right over to get it.  Lets see who wants to rip this version up lol.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Thanks for the post, I might have missed that otherwise.  It plays very well on the Galaxy Note 2.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Any more impressions on how TLE plays on Android devices? I must say I enjoy it. There are many ups. Downs - I do not know, maybe that subtitles are white so sometimes on white background you cannot read them. But it is really minor thing. Has anyone finished it? I will… soon. But I wanted to know what I can imagine under that: “Unlock challenging achievements that test your sleuthing skills.”

Anyway, I found time to get through files on all 3 CDs and I confirm there are no more than 4 variations of the cutscene with Anna after you set her free…

I have not found any sound that would prove you can time out your action of setting free Anna’s dog Max when Kahina is searching Anna’s compartment and Max is supposed to attack her. But you can set him free when Anna is standing outside her compartment, which is great… Smile

Plus I found there one interesting sound file - Rebecca and Sophie giggling and… well… kissing. Has anyone heard it while snooping around - or is it some kind of Easter egg? When you extract CD 3, it is the sound REB6969.SND

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Wow!  You have the original discs, the Ipad and Android versions of the same game?  You must be a big fan.  I bought it a week ago for my Samsung, but will fire it up this winter.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Bonsai - 09 September 2013 04:07 PM

Wow!  You have the original discs, the Ipad and Android versions of the same game?  You must be a big fan.  I bought it a week ago for my Samsung, but will fire it up this winter.

A big fan - yes. Sometimes they call me a fanatic :-) TLE fan since 1997… Last year I finally found an excuse to write about The Last Express for our movie magazine (here: http://25fps.cz/2012/the-last-express/ - my English is far from perfect, sorry for that), because we had an issue about rotoscopy. Plus I did an interview with Nicole Tostevine: http://25fps.cz/2012/interview-nicole-tostevin/ - you are welcome to read it. Getting to (at least virtually) know people who created this masterpiece is amazing.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

veruncheek - 09 September 2013 03:58 PM

Any more impressions on how TLE plays on Android devices? I must say I enjoy it. There are many ups. Downs - I do not know, maybe that subtitles are white so sometimes on white background you cannot read them. But it is really minor thing. Has anyone finished it? I will… soon. But I wanted to know what I can imagine under that: “Unlock challenging achievements that test your sleuthing skills.”

Plus I found there one interesting sound file - Rebecca and Sophie giggling and… well… kissing. Has anyone heard it while snooping around - or is it some kind of Easter egg? When you extract CD 3, it is the sound REB6969.SND

I like the unlocks and achievements you get quite a bit, though something I wish it had that would be really cool would be a running commentary with Mechner.  Probably asking for too much there though.  Don’t need it myself, but the hint system they have in game is good in terms of eliminating the meandering around the train(if you don’t like doing that).  On my Galaxy Note 2 as I said earlier it does play very well, but I will say on occasion it is difficult to navigate through the newspaper and some reading-based inventory objects.  However, it runs perfectly, looks great, sounds great.

I don’t know about the kissing because I never stuck around that long as no real conversation started, but you can hear Rebecca and Sophie giggling a few times in their compartment early on in the game, I suspect that is where your audio file comes from.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

HitBattousai - 09 September 2013 08:51 PM

I like the unlocks and achievements you get quite a bit, though something I wish it had that would be really cool would be a running commentary with Mechner.  Probably asking for too much there though. (...)

I don’t know about the kissing because I never stuck around that long as no real conversation started, but you can hear Rebecca and Sophie giggling a few times in their compartment early on in the game, I suspect that is where your audio file comes from.

OK, so… I am probably dumb, but - is unlocking achievements only the notice you see when some cinematic sequence plays or you read a letter for example…? Or does it open something special for you in the end. I do not know what I imagined but “Unlock challenging achievements that test your sleuthing skills” sounded like something more to me…

As for Rebecca and Sophie, this sound really sounded like something programmers put there for fun, just like René Martin’s juggling with heads… It is on cd 3, so I will look for it in the Android version, check if I can hear it.

Edit: And I agree - navigating through documents is sometimes tough. I remember having problems to quit reading newspaper…

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Oh, now I know. You must click on Social and then on the green joystick, so you sign in to Google+ and there are 15 achievements you can unclok. Like “steal the gold”, “catch the beetle”, “August’s letter” or and hidden ones… So, that’s it. I do not know what happens when you reach 15/15, if it unlocks something else. I guess not. Will try it…

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

The Last Express is now available for Kindle Fire…
http://www.amazon.com/DotEmu-The-Last-Express/dp/B00FVZKMJI/ref=sr_1_4?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1383218937&sr=1-4

One or two interesting hints that something is cooking can be found here:
Interview with Xavier Liard (@xld) and Romain Tisserand (@RomainTisserand) from DotEmu, Developer of The Last Express
http://gamewoof.com/interview/interview-dotemu-developer-last-express/

Are there any updates for The Last Express that we should look out for?
As we always do for our other games, we will provide continuous updates for The Last Express.  We should also have great news to share, but we can’t announce anything yet!

Is the partnership with Jordan Mechner will continue on future projects?
Once again, I can’t say anything yet but what I can tell is that Jordan Mechner is really outstanding and working with him was extremely interesting.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Wow, TLE is on Steam and the community there is very much alive. I amg glad to hear DotEmu considers to subtitle the whole game. We might wait a little bit longer, but it will be worth it. Check it out…

http://steamcommunity.com/app/252710

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2013-11-29

PM

Just got it off of steam, I’ll be playing it in a while… its been so long since I wanted to play TLE. I mean, it’s Jordan Mechner, how can you possibly go wrong with that?

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Another making of images are here:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/dotemucorp/images/?appid=252710

Exactly! I will buy the Steam version today. And let’s ask DotEmu for subtitles! The more people ask about fully subtitled game, the sooner they do it. And I hope in this Steam version there is this “Turkush eunuch” typo corrected.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

I already have this game, but if DotEmu gets around to putting subtitles then I’ll buy that version in a heartbeat

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top