• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New VR Release - The revival of Point & Click?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monolith - 19 March 2014 02:26 AM

If an inferior product becomes the standard

Sadly that happens all the time. VHS won and became the standard despite Betamax being superior and BluRay became the standard while HD DVD was superior, just to name two.

As is often the case, the cheapest one will probably win…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

TimovieMan - 19 March 2014 04:36 PM
Monolith - 19 March 2014 02:26 AM

If an inferior product becomes the standard

Sadly that happens all the time. VHS won and became the standard despite Betamax being superior and BluRay became the standard while HD DVD was superior, just to name two.

As is often the case, the cheapest one will probably win…

Well, judging by Sony’s track record. Oculus will be the cheapest one mainly because that was the set goal from the beginning for Oculus. Sony wants profit, Oculus wants a quality affordable product for everyone.

Then again, Sony is developing for PS4 and Oculus for PC….so neither will win because they both will reign supreme in their respective platforms.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Yes, Sony’s HMD is not direct competition to the Rift, Morpheus being PS4 exclusive for the time being. I also think seeing the likes of Sony enter VR arena (with what seems like a competent product) is positive. It’s another sign VR revolution is really around the corner.
It’s also quite amazing that Rift DK2 is still the strongest of the two prototypes (better image quality, true low-persistence, 75Hz screen, etc.)- especially since Sony was quoted to work 3 years on their prototype. It’s a testament of the greatness of Oculus’s and Valve’s work.

On the long run PC VR is the way to go anyway. PS4 have already problems with running stereo at 60+ fps for graphically more advanced games. Not to mention Oculus is targeting 90Hz/fps to achieve the holy grail of VR: presence. In a year or two PS4 will be seriously out of date for VR experiences (and “presence” is out of reach today already).

I’m interested what will Sony’s next generation product/console be like though. If VR will really take off in a big way, as it looks now, it’ll be interesting to see in what direction will consoles evolve.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Igor - 21 March 2014 04:19 PM

I’m interested what will Sony’s next generation product/console be like though. If VR will really take off in a big way, as it looks now, it’ll be interesting to see in what direction will consoles evolve.

This exactly, its best time to test the waters even if PS4 has graphic/tech ceiling.
All will be research data and demo for PS5.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

No joke,

Facebook have bought Oculus Rift for $2 billion.

Full story: http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/25/facebook-oculus-vr-2-billion/

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tad - 25 March 2014 06:11 PM

No joke,

Facebook have bought Oculus Rift for $2 billion.

Full story: http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/25/facebook-oculus-vr-2-billion/

One week too soon, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Haha,

I guess they thought going up against Sony wouldn’t be financially possible?

Edit:

I wonder how fast it took for John Cormack to pack his bags Smile

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That’s… surprising to say the least, can’t really see it has good news, but for no specific reason, just the name facebook gives me bad vibes Smile

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Kinda tired about discussing this subject everywhere. I think there is enough valid points from professionals stating how this is probably the best thing to happen to VR. Plus, most negative responses have been nothing but baseless accusations, knee-jerk reactions, and trolling.

Viva La Metaverse!

Tad - 25 March 2014 06:23 PM

I wonder how fast it took for John Cormack to pack his bags Smile

What do you mean? He’s completely fine with it.

Here’s the 30 minute conference call from the acquisition. Its nothing short of passionate people wanting to make things happen.

http://www.shareholder.com/visitors/event/build3/stage/stage.cfm?mediaid=63723&mediauserid=0

VR was never about just playing games, but somehow thats what everyone expected. Every VR cyberpunk thriller in history explains its purpose as a lifestyle. Both interactive entertainment, virtual worlds, multiplayer experiences, pretty much a non-violent MMO in most cases where people chat and share.

So it only makes sense we make that jump now into the progressive future.

In the end, who in the right mind would think Oculus will randomly become a closed platform, include microtransactions, force sign in to facebook and have ads popup? Some people literally think thats what will happen. Most if not all of the complaints are from non-developers (except for notch, but he’s always been the knee-jerk type of person. Plus he’s a total a-hole).

Developers on the otherhand see that because of this, their audience increases exponentially. Its a win win.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 25 March 2014 08:23 PM

That’s… surprising to say the least, can’t really see it has good news, but for no specific reason, just the name facebook gives me bad vibes Smile

And the rumor is they are rebranding it to Facebook

Rumor

Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo Pan

Fact

“We were in talks about maybe bringing a version of Minecraft to Oculus,” said Markus Persson, creator of the popular game, on Twitter. “I just cancelled that deal. Facebook creeps me out.”  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

FaceRift

RiftBook

Wonder what they will call it.

It’s interesting that last week they were being touted as the indie darling standing in the face of the giant beahmoth Sony. Proud to be independant and open source while Sony were the greed capitalists jumping on the bandwagon with an inferior product who just didn’t get the VR market.

Then they sell to the likes of Facebook.

It’s the same old story, somone comes up with a great idea that build up a passionate community around this product until it gets swallowed by corporate bigwigs and they alienate the origional community. It’s actually a mirror of Facebook itself where a lot of the developers on Oculus where the type who made games or apps for Facebook early on before they became serious and a billion dollar company and then rules and business decisions are put in place which screws with their perfect anarchist development philosophy.

I would imagine that the Rift will become less of an open source device where developers can do what they like and more of a regulated, rules and payments required to play with our dev-kits type of device.

Unfortunatly this is probably what is required to bring it to market in anything other than a niche device for the hardcore. Selling out to big business to market and standardise it was the only way it was going to compete with Sony.

Farmville VR here we come.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 26 March 2014 03:39 AM

I would imagine that the Rift will become less of an open source device where developers can do what they like and more of a regulated, rules and payments required to play with our dev-kits type of device.

Unfortunatly this is probably what is required to bring it to market in anything other than a niche device for the hardcore. Selling out to big business to market and standardise it was the only way it was going to compete with Sony.

Farmville VR here we come.

Ads = monetization, hidden revenue streams, Facebook account integration,
data mining, consumer BI , NSA etc.

Replace the device with oculus

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

As predicted by the Simpsons.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Don’t know what to think about all of this. It’s not ideal, agree with that. But if what they say is true and Oculus will keep their independence and all the control over Rift (and I think there’s no real reason to doubt that), then I think this will bring much good for the end product.

Lucien21 - 26 March 2014 03:39 AM

I don’t believe this’ll be the case. PC is not PS4 or locked application such as Facebook. As long as Rift will be on PC it will stay open as far as software and development goes (it’s in their best interest to do so too, at least early on). What this means for the far future, when Rift might become a stand-alone device, with no need of external computer, remains to be seen… and I bet Facebook is counting especially on those long-term projections. By that time we might get other (equally good) alternatives though.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lucien21 - 26 March 2014 04:26 AM

As predicted by the Simpsons.

Laughing  Smile  Simpsons did it! (always)

I don’t think they will go that far, but a obligatory facebook login would be reason enough for me to stay far away from the Rift!
Still, did facebook ever do an acquisition like this? It’s kind of hard to judge it for now.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top