• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your System of Choice to Play Adventure Games

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

OK, here is YOUR THREAD to talk about SYSTEMS - today we have quite a few choices of what systems to play adventure games on.

Currently, I use a PC Netbook and an ipad mini - both are fabulous and I’ve never been happier.

Previous systems:

PS VITA - if you collect video games - get this system. It actually has a bundle with an adventure game included (Walking Dead and a PSV-1000) - will be worth $$$ in the future.

Most games released for it can be had as limited editions - which will be worth $$$ in the future. It gets lots of adventure games too - more so than the PS4, Xbox one, 3DS and PS4 get. It has not sold as well as the 3DS or ipad and could be Sony’s last handheld which would only make the system more collectable.

Nintendo Dsi XL - I still play this system all the time. My favorite system to play adventure games on for many years. Has two HUGE screens and a large library of games - including some of the very best adventure games ever made. Inexpensive system to buy and they are still releasing games for it.

Nintendo 3DS XL - a very popular system - best selling eighth generation console. It has only some adventure games and a few of those - like “Ace Attorney 5” are true classics.

PS3 - inexpensive used and I bought it to play “Beyond: Two Souls” on. Graphics are amazing and has some of the best adventure games ever released on it like Journey and Heavy Rain. Adventure game selection is not huge but what few it does have are very good.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

My weapons of choice are the PC, the Nintendo DSi XL and the Nintendo 3DS XL.

Since the 3DS XL also plays all DS games, my DSi XL hasn’t seen much use, even though the image quality for DS games is more crisp on it because it doesn’t have to be blown up to fit the 3DS XL resolution.

My desktop PC has been degraded to a backup since Zoë‘s birth, so the little gaming I still do is on my laptop. And the 3DS XL of course.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

If a game is made available for PC then that will always be my first choice. I would never play a game on handheld devices if I can play it on PC, because for me that is the best experience ( bigger screen, better graphics, mouse controls etc.).The only reason why I would play something on a different system would be if a game is not available on PC, like Hotel Dusk or Ghost Trick.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

PnC = PC.
Rest = PS3.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m like everyone else - most of my gaming is the PC, however gone are the days when I spend $2600 on a gaming rig. Laptops rule for me.

ipads, VITAS, DS, 3DS all have one thing in common - touch screen gaming - I love it - touching the screen to make thing happen is a pure joy for me when playing adventure games.

The 3DS XL for 95% OF THE GAMERS OUT THERE should be the perfect choice - however the bottom screen on the Dsi XL is actually larger than the bottom screen on the 3DS XL so I prefer to play DS games on it.

The VITA for a short time was my go to system - until one day - I went to preorder Danganronda at gamestop and the clerk there showed me an ipad and how it’s much bigger screen made gaming so much more fun than the VITA and…..I bought an ipad right there…
The VITA I predict should sell about 24 million units before this generation finishes which is about what the original Xbox and Gamecube sold.

All the consoles mentioned are inexpensive to buy, I’ve seen used Dsi XLs as low as $59 dollars and the touch screen interface is so much fun to use.

Of course, WAY in the past I played adventure games on a C128, 3DO, Amiga, Atari 2600 and Mac computers and systems.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

I overwhelmingly use the PC for adventuring, but I do have a few Nintendo DS Lite titles, including Hotel Dusk Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

In general, I play adventures with point and click controls on the PC, and adventures with direct control on the Playstation. If there’s no PS version of a direct controlled game, I play it on PC using Motioninjoy and a controller. I’ve played some adventures on iPad and DS, but I use those only when I’m travelling, which isn’t very often.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

PC only for me,

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Laptop mostly, followed by 3DS XL (which replaced my 10 year old DS Lite), followed by iPad. Though I got to say that I’m starting to prefer playing 2D point & click on iPad. I’ll be getting Broken Sword and Broken Age for iPad instead of the laptop. 3DS is awesome for the very non-traditional adventures like Phoenix Wright or Ghost Trick type of games. The laptop is mostly used for ports of console adventures (Brothers etc) as well as games that dont get released on any other platform.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I pick which system to get a game on based on which control scheme will work best with it.

THe Walking Dead, for example is much better with touch screen controls - and so was Gemini Rue.

Broken Sword 5 I got on ipad and it was a dream to play. Broken Age I will get on the ipad as well.

However, I just finished “Barrow Hill” on the PC and it was amazing! Best adventure game I’ve played this year by far.

Heart

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I pretty much only play AG on a PC.
I do have an android tablet and have build up a nice little collection of AG’s for it, but I have never gotten around to actually playing them. I simply prefer playing at a nice big screen using a proper keyboard and mice, sitting at a proper desk with a notepad and pen ready by the side.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I have more or less all of the systems, so it depends on which system the game comes out for.

Adventure games are probably primarily PC, but have played them on virtually every other platforms.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-02-28

PM

I vote PC for sure! It’s the most versatile platform, and with VR coming.. I’d actually have to vote Oculus Rift as my ‘system of choice’ for the future generation of Adventure Games.
Wink

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The overlap isn’t that big in adventures so I play games where they are available.
But the games where I have choice I prefer PC for most except visual novels that I mostly use a portable system.
Among portables I prefer the Vita because it feels more confortable to use, better battery and screen, but od course I use the 3DS for all the exclusives.
Surprisingly, What I don’t like to use at all for gaming are tablets/phones except when there really isn’t other option, and even then I have to be really interested in the game (I mostly use the smatphone for jetpack joyride…)

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Coda_Frost - 01 March 2014 10:00 AM

I vote PC for sure! It’s the most versatile platform, and with VR coming.. I’d actually have to vote Oculus Rift as my ‘system of choice’ for the future generation of Adventure Games.
Wink

PS4 has a VR headset on the way also.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/sony-set-to-reveal-ps4-virtual-reality-headset-at-gdc-2014-1226620

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

PC. I don’t enjoy adventures on the small screen, and many iPad ports I’ve tried have omitted puzzles and locations as compared to the original PC version.

I also prefer a CRT monitor for older games that use 640x480 or lower resolution.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top