• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games composed of a group of smaller games with different gimmicks?

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Hi. So there’s a Japanese RPG for the SNES (there’s an english fan translation). Rather one a single story, there are 7 separate characters to choose from each with a separate short scenario and a different gimmick.

Like there’s a western one where you spend most of the time strategically setting traps for a gang so that when they show up their number is reduced when you battle them all at once; there’s a wrestling one which is a series of boss fights; there’s one where you play as a robot where there’s no battles and you essentially solve a mystery on a space ship. After you beat all of them you unlock a couple more scenarios that unite them all.

So are there any adventure games with a similar concept? I think I Have No Mouth is like that, though I haven’t played it.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

yeah “i have no mouth” is a little like “live a live” in that branches sense, but not exactly… Theyr just different stories that sort of meet, and not genre/mechanic changes with every branch. Nothing else is springing to mind for adventures.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Regarding a bunch of characters with different abilities, Maniac Mansion did that.  Each character had one or two abilities unique to themselves, and depending on which characters you chose to start the game your potential solution to puzzles changed.  (I think The Cave maybe did this too?  But I haven’t played it yet)  They also had different ways to win the game, as they had different goals.  (i.e. you could win the game by getting the musician a music deal)

As far as a bunch of characters with separate stories go, it reminds me of The Walking Dead: 400 days.

Not sure if any adventure game has really combined both of those things.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Actually, one of the concepts in the current amnesia fortnight had the potential to be like this. If “eras of adventure” had done things like, put a text adventure scenario in a scifi setting, and then point&click; in medieval, and had some crazy space time stuff that brings things together towards the end, that wouldv really felt like “live a live” But thats probably not exactly what they were going for.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

I suggest you try out the Space Rangers series! There are three main components to it. The main part is a roguelike privateer deal but for missions you can encounter a rts type mission where you manage and control robots which isn’t very good but

Other missions are these amazing text driven scenarios some of them really long!

Look it up. The series is amazing.

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

If “eras of adventure” had done things like, put a text adventure scenario in a scifi setting, and then point&click; in medieval, and had some crazy space time stuff that brings things together towards the end, that wouldv really felt like “live a live”

That could be cool. But to make it more like Live-a-Live, I guess you could do the scenarios in any order. They could each be a different genre: point-and-click with an inventory, a text adventure, an investigation game like Ace Attorney, something like Loom where you interact with the environment in a unique way, a “fighting” scenario like in Indiana Jones. And then in the final scenario you’d have to switch between characters to progress.

I suggest you try out the Space Rangers series!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Rangers_(video_game)
Is this what you’re talking about? Looks like some kind of simulation strategy game rather than an adventure game.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2014-02-22

PM

It’s part simulation strategy game part text based adventure game and there are also arcade like mini games.

Finally there is an RTS mech combat part. Just look up Space Rangers 2 on youtube and check it out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top