• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Finished! I thought Chapter 3 was incredible so you can imagine how amazed I was by Chapter 5. I was much more comfortable with the big final reveals of the game compared to the first title, which seemed to raise more questions than answers. However, the ending of this game is a lot more explicit in terms of what happens to who and I thought something like that powerful final image of the first game would have been nicer since this game is smarter in almost every other respect. The alterations made to Hangman’s Gambit and the addition of Logic Dive were fun and fit with that arcade/adventure contrast. The Rebuttal Showdown could get pretty demanding though with switching over truth bullets while slicing statements.

Ultimately, a game this good fills me with some despair. It will end up being a cult classic only available on a system that will never be that big in the West much like Snatcher for the Sega CD. The Vita is rich in fun, well-written, creative and beautiful looking titles. It’s such a shame that it has a monopoly on what I believe to be the best game of 2014.

Tl;dr buy a Vita!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I think it’s odd how adventure games move from one platform to another - in 2011 I had so many adventure games on my Nintendo DS I wondered how I was going to play them all.

Now - in 2014 I have this situation on the PSVITA - stacks of really good adventure games.

Handhelds are cheap, used VITAs are $119 and up - so if you have only a few good games on a system they are worth buying.

Dangan Ronpa 2 surprised me - better than the first and that one was amazing.

Let’s hope we get another game in the series.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Im finally playing through this now (am about midway through chapter 6)... some random thoughts…
The “ultimate yakuza” has got to be the most ridiculous idea for an ultimate title yet… whats next, ultimate drug dealer? Wink “ultimate biker gang leader” was pretty bad too.. but ultimate yakuza is worse.
I was disappointed with chapter 5.. Throughout the series theres been a sense that being the “blackened” is less about who pulls the trigger, and really about who the mastermind of the crime is. By that logic there is no question that nagito was the killer of himself, since it is all his plan, and really chiaki is just an accomplice unknowingly.
So i feel like they kind of messed that up… but still very enjoyable game.. The monomi vs monokuma stuff was fun. Saving my final verdict till im finished…

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

More than one person has said chapter 5 was the best chapter…........

The game as a whole is very over the top and more than once I had to roll my eyes around at how silly parts of the game are.

However, the game has it’s moments and I love the plot twist - that made the game for me.

Dangan Ronpa 2 is my best adventure of 2014 - hands down.

Let’s hope 2015 is half as good to us….....

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

ok i just finished it.
was i the only one who thought (and wanted) nagito to turn out to be makoto? The idea that makoto lead a tortured life and got corrupted and twisted by a saturation of hope and despair, i thought that would have been awesome, and much more interesting than what happens. (also their names are veeery close to being anagrams of eachother) And then i had really liked the presence of togami, and the idea that the post-school-killing life had really changed him and made him a wise and powerful leader (and maybe gain some weight from depression Tongue). Really disappointed when they erased that with “uh.. hes some imposter or something” Super lame…. Err i mean, ultimate lame.
It was a good game… but definitely not on the same level as the first.

EDIT: it just hit me, nagito’s name is an anagram for “AD makoto naegi” And the AD must be… alternate dimension. For the whole game i kept thinking about the anagram of his name but the ad bugged me… suddenly that makes sense…. Oh well. They shouldv made them the same person.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It was a good game… but definitely not on the same level as the first.

Glad to hear somebody liked the first one best. You are not the only one either. I liked the first one too - BUT I liked the second one better.

Finished! I thought Chapter 3 was incredible so you can imagine how amazed I was by Chapter 5. I was much more comfortable with the big final reveals of the game compared to the first title, which seemed to raise more questions than answers.

I was so glad we got these games in the US, I don’t have a clue how they would do a third one, but I’ll buy it if they do.

Heart

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

zane - 06 January 2015 08:21 PM

EDIT: it just hit me, nagito’s name is an anagram for “AD makoto naegi” And the AD must be… alternate dimension. For the whole game i kept thinking about the anagram of his name but the ad bugged me… suddenly that makes sense…. Oh well. They shouldv made them the same person.

Komaeda Nagito is an anagram of Makoto Naegi da (‘I’m Naegi Makoto’). They also share the same voice actress (in Japanese).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Say goodbye to despair once more. Playstation has announced that Another Episode will be localised and released in the Fall!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

THIS game is NOT a Visual Novel, but a third person action game that is a spin-off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danganronpa_Another_Episode:_Ultra_Despair_Girls

Heart

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Hm. i might buy this. I heard it does a good job at telling a story that bridges the first and 2nd game.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Oh - I am buying this day one - a twisted third person shooter is the perfect game for me.

People love the game and sales in Japan were very solid. 

Heart

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Spike Chunsoft is working on the third main entry of its murder mystery role-playing sim series, Danganronpa, but nothing in the new title is “really set in stone,” writer Kodaka Kazutaka told Polygon via translator

Inevitable, but good to have confirmation.

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Looks like despair doesn’t let up. How do you approach a third game after the second one broke down the entire formula? I’m expecting something even crazier.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Oh, that probably explains why there isn’t a Detective Conan game planned for this year; Spike-Chunsoft developed the two Detective Conan 3DS games released the last two years (Danganronpa (2010) -> Super Danganronpa 2 (2012) -> Detective Conan: Marionette Symphony (2013) -> Detective Conan: Phantom Rhapsody (2014)) , and I was hoping for a third installment, but I guess they’re back working on their own IP now, instead as a developer for Namco-Bandai.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

thejobloshow - 04 March 2015 06:14 PM

Looks like despair doesn’t let up. How do you approach a third game after the second one broke down the entire formula? I’m expecting something even crazier.

DR is no different from crazy manga or anime, and jap writers always come up with more
interesting stuff. But yeah thats a challenge, to keep bringing exciting twists and drama,
while not going into fatigue like PhoenixWright

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top