• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Age: What impact will its success or failure have on the Adventure Game genre?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Broken Age was the game that initiated the Adventure Game Kickstarter craze, and quite possibly, being the Adventure Game Kickstarter poster-child, the one people have the highest expectations to. Those who are backers of the game have had the privilege to follow the game creation process quite closely. Personally, I think it’s been shaping up very nicely and my excitement is building up to a tremble, I’m pretty convinced it’s gonna be a game of Lucas Arts quality and that’s saying a lot. I’m a bit concerned about the game length since we know a lot of material has been cut due to budget issues. I hope it won’t feel too short, and that the cuts won’t hurt the story too much.

If Broken Age turns out to be hugely successful, which, if it’s anything like Tim Schafer’s previous games, it truly deserves to be, is it crazy to think it could be a window to a future where traditional adventure games may once again be accepted into the mainstream? A future where game developers could approach AAA publishers with a pitch for a traditional adventure without being laughed at? A future where budget issues aren’t painfully apparent in almost every release?

What do you think? Could Broken Age’s success benefit the future of traditional adventure gaming? Or if it turns out to be a flop, could it possibly hurt it?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

well, i think we’ve seen adventures that get mainstream success dont seem to influence. the mainstream appeal for the adventure genre. It would however mean big things for doublefine being able to continue making games. So i hope very much that it has some success.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Not a god damn thing. It’ll be pretty hot with those that dig Indie games in general (if it reviews well). I’ll sell tons of copies every time it comes up in a Steam Sale for less then a fiver.

But otherwise… its not going to impact the mainstream in a particularly strong way. Its an adventure game. And I am a cynic.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

The problem is if one can have their way with TTG model and making money/fame
along the way, why would one follow Tim’s approach??
(Intelligent Puzzle design ain’t easy)

Success can reinvigorate Puzzle Adv Genre and hope for Tim to do another.

TheWitness just got total 500 puzzles, so lets see how all these games will
compound to give net effect to AG scene.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Closer to 600 - 595 in Blow’s latest update.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

None of Schafer’s post-LucasArts games had any impact on the industry unfortunately. And Broken Age looks like a niche product even for its own genre. It is turning into some kind of hipster game, with infantile characters, artsy style and Elijah Wood. A simple cartoon adventure would’ve been much more accessible and welcomed IMHO.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I doubt we’ll see a huge surge of AAA adventures, but we might see some modestly budgeted revivals. There already is examples for big publishers that well made non-AAA games can sell, if they’re done well. Blood Dragon for and example was for a big publisher a small game and it sold well beyond their expectations and Ubisoft is making new Might & Magic RPG with small team and budget as well.

The big publishers are learning the same lessons movie companies learned ages ago: not every movie needs to be 200 million blockbuster, sometimes it’s just as well to make something smaller.

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Dag - 25 December 2013 10:02 PM

Broken Age: What impact will its success or failure have on the Adventure Game genre?

What do you think?

Beats me.
I’m not a fortune-teller, you know.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I imagine its impact will be less than, say, The Walking Dead, but as part of a larger trend, it might contribute to more adventures coming out.

Honestly, I think the 2014 adventure game lineup is about the best case scenario, and if the impact of these games is just that we see that level of output sustained, then we should be pretty grateful. If Double Fine continues to put out adventures in the future, and we see sequels to some of these games, along with some new stuff—that’s really a better place than the genre has been in a while.

We’re probably not going to see the genre become a staple of mainstream gaming again, outside of a few games that will serve as the exception. But given where the genre was just two years ago, we should be happy for that much.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

At best, it’ll mean Doublefine do a few more indie adventures - I can’t see any way it’d have any impact on gaming as a whole.  Kind of how Wes Anderson’s films doing well just means everyone knows what his style is like, not that there’s a sudden mass acceptance of tweeness in cinema.

Other than Walking Dead, the only game whose success or failure I thought had any real impact on adventure gaming as a whole was LA Noire.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

zobraks - 26 December 2013 06:09 AM

Beats me.

^This

But it will be interesting to see if it has any effect either way.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think the success of this game is more important to kickstarter and Double Fine than the adventure genre.
Kickstarter because a lot of new of old backers are waiting to see how these first big projects turn out and Double Fine because they have been struggling a would be nice to see them continue to have financial independence for new projects.

I doubt that id it’s flop it would hurt the adventure genre or if it’s a success it would have a huge benefit. Maybe more indies would make traditional adventures instead of the hundreds of puzzle/platformers or maybe big publishers would be more open to negociate rights to some of their franchises (like Actision and the Gabriel Knight remake).

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

zobraks - 26 December 2013 06:09 AM
Dag - 25 December 2013 10:02 PM

What do you think?

Beats me.

And I never accused anyone of being delusional. Thinking that one is psychic and having the ability of imagination are two different things entirely. Why even bother posting if the only thing your imagination allows is mocking the thread? I guess I’m a bit more of a dreamer than most people, I’m sorry if you find the thread stupid.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Doom - 26 December 2013 01:26 AM

And Broken Age looks like a niche product even for its own genre. It is turning into some kind of hipster game, with infantile characters, artsy style and Elijah Wood. A simple cartoon adventure would’ve been much more accessible and welcomed IMHO.

I don’t understand this statement. What makes the characters “infantile,” the fact that the protagonists are teenagers? And Elijah Wood is a huge Hollywood star (as well as a backer, someone who obviously cares about the project as opposed to just cashing in a paycheck)—how does having him voicing a character reduce the game’s mainstream appeal?

I’m not sure what your vision of a “simple cartoon adventure” would be, but this is 2D cartoon artwork that uses today’s modern technology. Tim himself sees it as an evolution of what he would have continued doing at LucasArts if he’d kept making adventure games there, just like Full Throttle evolved from DOTT and Grim Fandango evolved from Full Throttle. And like each of those games (and every game he’s made since) its art direction gives it a unique look that’s totally unlike any other game. I don’t get why that’s being criticized…?

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I think it’s hard to claim that a whole cultural phenomenon stands and falls with only one specific product.

The fact that adventure games are having a resurrection at the moment can’t be denied by anyone, but that has happened for many different reasons (although Double Fines Kickstarter and The Walking Dead are surely at the top of the list).

With that said, Broken Age is in a position where many people have been building their hopes up for a long time which can be both a good and a bad thing. In order to gain new followers to the adventure genre this game is undoubtedly where most trust is placed.

Then again besides Broken Age and the other Kickstarted games there are many other adventure games coming out soon so the genre is much more alive then it has ever been for the last decade. It all comes down to getting as many good adventure games made as possible. Then the fans will stay and new ones will emerge.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 26 December 2013 11:44 AM

And I never accused anyone of being delusional. Thinking that one is psychic and having the ability of imagination are two different things entirely. Why even bother posting if the only thing your imagination allows is mocking the thread? I guess I’m a bit more of a dreamer than most people, I’m sorry if you find the thread stupid.

I can’t speak for Zobraks, but the reason I quoted him in my own response, is not because I think the question is stupid or to mock the thread, but simply because I have absolutely no idea of what the answer is!

I don’t think it will have a huge impact either way, but then again I have been know to be wrong… occasionally… when it comes to making predictions.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top