• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Walking Dead - Season 2

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Bliss - 19 December 2013 06:34 AM

For those that played it are there any ‘i’m small and can’t reach such and such’ moments?

That’s pretty much my only concern for season 2. S1 it was about protecting clem, that’s what drew players to her character, i was pretty suprised that when TT relealized fans wanted more clem they didn’t get the why and made the (imo) mistake of having us control her.
I really hope i’m wrong as i freaking loved S1 but i’m kinda expecting every other problem needing her to stack a bunch of crap together to stand on or using broom handles or whatever to reach stuff high up.

Not much of a spoiler but I can only think of one moment like that and it’s really fast and easy to get around it She’s tough as nails and does everything (maybe too much for a kid?).

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

She sure can kick some ass, she kicked out the dog and performed fatality.

Dodging kicking undeads and Bandits….and emotional blackmail too
Tongue

It pretty much kills immersion when you see a little girl like her so easily
beating shit out of things.
Clem doesnt need saving , people around her are in Danger

Smile

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

tomimt - 18 December 2013 06:01 AM

RPS “Wot I think” of Epsiode 1: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/17/walking-dead-season-2-review/

In summary it’s good, but not necessarily as good yet as Season 1 was.

Cheers for that - a really enjoyable read and well considered review.

My thoughts: I reckon they were going for a very bleak opening that mirrored the comic book arc of Carl on his own/looking after an unconscious Rick. They wanted Clementine to be thrown in at the deep end as a counterpoint to her time with Lee and to demonstrate the survival skills she’d developed with him.

I didn’t have an issue with the swift removal of Omid and Christa from the equation. The whole idea of an opening scene is to give a flavour of what the theme of the story as a whole will be; as others have observed, Clementine’s growth into independence seems to have presented itself as the logical theme, so the removal of her two current Guardians - arguably because of her own thoughtlessness and immaturity, leaving the gun unattended - makes perfect sense.

The dog scene struck me as Telltale playfully subverting our expectations - think of the recent games where a canine companion has been a major deal. The dog: man’s best friend, is a symbol of trust and our friendship with nature. That this particular dog turns on us over some cold beans is, again, an indicator of how difficult real trust is to come by in such an environment and ties into Clementine learning independence.

The graphics are what they are. Anyone expecting Telltale to suddenly produce something of the quality of Naughty Dog’s games, well… I have a bridge to sell you.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

nomadsoul - 19 December 2013 10:08 AM

She sure can kick some ass, she kicked out the dog and performed fatality.

Dodging kicking undeads and Bandits….and emotional blackmail too
Tongue

It pretty much kills immersion when you see a little girl like her so easily
beating shit out of things.
Clem doesnt need saving , people around her are in Danger

Smile

What was easy about it? I remember getting pretty badly hurt and having to repeatedly lash out awkwardly for all of those fights. Her assailants underestimating her was definitely a factor.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Unfortunately as it is, the graphics and animations are worse than TWAU.

Their TWAU job was great, specially the fight scenes in Bar and that dog scene
is missed opportunity, we could have adopted him for a while later to turn him against us with somne plot device, the dog got friendly and aggressive in a matter of seconds.
Felt rushed.

Those stiching face animations are beyond cringe worthy, I am not expecting Ndog, but if you are just making cutscenes, get better on it or atleast treat the shortcomings like they do in other games, its funny how this game gets free pass
and other games are bashed for same cons.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

nomadsoul - 19 December 2013 10:25 AM

I am not expecting Ndog

nomadsoul - 12 December 2013 03:36 PM

I was right its nowhere close to Tlou

Anyway, The Wolf Among Us is using a more stylised palate and set of characters, that go some way to distracting us from its shortcomings. To be honest, it has the same graphical problems that all Telltale’s titles suffer from - they will insist on using the same outdated tools - but it just sounds like you prefer the design style of one of their franchises.

I’ve not given any of Telltale’s games a “Free Pass” - I think all of their games are wooden and far uglier than they could be - and it’s something they’d do well to address sooner rather than later.

What would your handling of the dog idea have added to the central reason for its inclusion? The dog serves two purposes - 1)It’s a plot device to give Clem a non-walker bite that sows a seed of doubt amongst the group she encounters. 2)It demonstrates that trust isn’t easily earned in this world and that things we took for granted in the past - in this case that cute dogs are our friends - don’t always apply now. What would dragging it out achieve?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’m a bit worried by the fact that I have deleted the first season from my Playstation (space issues). Considering that the second season takes the choices you made in the first season into consideration, does this mean I have to reinstall the first season and replay it (and not delete it) before I can start the second, or is there an option to randomly generate choices before beginning the second season?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Dag - 19 December 2013 11:09 AM

I’m a bit worried by the fact that I have deleted the first season from my Playstation (space issues). Considering that the second season takes the choices you made in the first season into consideration, does this mean I have to reinstall the first season and replay it (and not delete it) before I can start the second, or is there an option to randomly generate choices before beginning the second season?

If you’ve not kept a save file of your choices from Season one, Season 2 automatically randomly generates choices at the start.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Well, I was a bit disappointed with this first episode. The numerous plot contrivances requiring Clementine to make one dubious decision after the other just so the game could hit its plot points and introduce its characters bothered me quite a bit.

I’m also waiting for the new season to bring something new to the table. At this point, it feels like a rehash of last season’s themes just with new characters.

Oh, and the exploitative, Tomb-Raideresque, “let’s keep throwing awful stuff at the girl to see how much we can make her cry” style, culminating in that stitching sequence that seemed to go on for an hour, is something I hope they’ll tone down in future episodes, because I’m already fed up with it.

Oh well. Hopefully the season will improve as it goes on.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

noknowncure - 19 December 2013 10:39 AM
nomadsoul - 19 December 2013 10:25 AM

I am not expecting Ndog

nomadsoul - 12 December 2013 03:36 PM

I was right its nowhere close to Tlou

Anyway, The Wolf Among Us is using a more stylised palate and set of characters, that go some way to distracting us from its shortcomings. To be honest, it has the same graphical problems that all Telltale’s titles suffer from - they will insist on using the same outdated tools - but it just sounds like you prefer the design style of one of their franchises.

I’ve not given any of Telltale’s games a “Free Pass” - I think all of their games are wooden and far uglier than they could be - and it’s something they’d do well to address sooner rather than later.

I wasnt expecting and i was indeed right not to expect much Smile
BUT many times developers surpass expectations FYI.
And different contexts,
1. I wasnt expecting Ndog animations.
2. TLou themes and narrative aint nowhere close i.e Ellie is way better presented than Clem, Ellie is hard to top.
One cannot predict TLou outcome and motivations, where TWD ending was easiest to predict since motivations of both
leads were straight up clear from the first hour.

Clem is too short to kick Dog with that weight and size, that far , unless she has some superpowers.
Its just unatural, the greenshirt goon can easily take on girl of that size. Ellie winter part is must play
for you to see(not just animations) but execution of scenario overall.
And since you actually play Tlou , sneaking, die alot in Tlou , you actually feel the struggle specially against David
Tongue

Go on youtube and compare animations of fight in TWAu bar fight vs Clem/Greenshirt bandit fight.

ITs not just style.

Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

What would your handling of the dog idea have added to the central reason for its inclusion? The dog serves two purposes - 1)It’s a plot device to give Clem a non-walker bite that sows a seed of doubt amongst the group she encounters. 2)It demonstrates that trust isn’t easily earned in this world and that things we took for granted in the past - in this case that cute dogs are our friends - don’t always apply now. What would dragging it out achieve?

That was my issue pretty much, there wasnt much to trust.
when a dog came from nowhere, i knew something was wrong.
Writers decided to make him friend in an instant, but it was clearly a wild/stray dog.
Not your own pet.

And that plot device was foolish, all those sharpshooters can’t tackle a small height
undead girl, were so scared to help, imagine that. They helped you from horde.

Anyway,

Things i was speculating.

1. To make your companion, for atleast few chapters and then make him turn against you.
You hardly develop any feelings towards him . I dont know if any of you trust wild dogs
either, trust is strong word for wild/stray dogs.

2. Killing would be hard and painful if we had some journey, moments and memories of him.

3. Having sidekick along with you would be something new.
For helping you and fetching etc. Or even Dog helping and sacrificing himself for your life.
Like giving you some decision to use dog on undead as distraction.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

In your earlier post, you once again compare TWD against TLOU, which is entirely unfair. The chances of TT producing something of that high quality are infinitesimally small, partly to do with smaller budget and making different kinds of games to a different time frame than Naughty Dog. TWD isn’t TLOU. Just go and play TLOU again, if that’s the experience you want.

The Last Of Us is an absolutely astonishingly good game that deserves the praise it’s received. The writing never loses focus of the characters it deals with. I loved it so much I even worked my way through on the hardest difficulty.

In the Winter portion of TLoU that you refer to, Ellie’s successful massacre of endless waves of Hunters isn’t realistic in the least, yet we buy into it - drama involves suspending your disbelief - because we know this girl has suffered and become stronger through the experiences we’ve seen her suffer through.

nomadsoul - 19 December 2013 04:55 PM

That was my issue pretty much, there wasnt much to trust.
when a dog came from nowhere, i knew something was wrong.
Writers decided to make him friend in an instant, but it was clearly a wild/stray dog.
Not your own pet.

And that plot device was foolish, all those sharpshooters can’t tackle a small height
undead girl, were so scared to help, imagine that. They helped you from horde.

Anyway,

Things i was speculating.

1. To make your companion, for atleast few chapters and then make him turn against you.
You hardly develop any feelings towards him . I dont know if any of you trust wild dogs
either, trust is strong word for wild/stray dogs.

2. Killing would be hard and painful if we had some journey, moments and memories of him.

3. Having sidekick along with you would be something new.
For helping you and fetching etc. Or even Dog helping and sacrificing himself for your life.
Like giving you some decision to use dog on undead as distraction.

Making the dog your companion for a few chapters and then have him turn on you wouldn’t make sense; Dogs don’t have ulterior motives. The food is the dog’s motivation; when Clementine potentially stops it from getting more, it attacks. The thematic idea of trust and independence needed to be addressed there and then. To have the dog as a companion for however long, would undermine the bleakness of her being alone at that stage in the story and not gel with her learning to be independent.

Stories are filled with symbols that help express a particular theme. The Dog - complete with collar, signifying domestication - is one such symbol; Man’s Best Friend, a loyal companion, a potential friend for our protagonist (as has been the case with many recent games, where the gameplay mechanic suggestions you make were commonplace) and harkens back to a time when Man had total dominance over nature.

By having the dog turn on Clementine, Telltale were subverting audience expectations - successfully in this instance, I might add, when the majority of comments I’ve seen across several websites have involved people expecting Sam to be a companion or who were surprised or upset by the dogs death. That you saw through the ruse doesn’t detract from what their goal was, particularly when other people were successfully taken in by it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Concerning the dog,

I suppose the bite is obligatory, but is it possible to send him away without killing him or kicking him into the irons?

IMO, it wasn’t a very good plot device for the bite, I was surprised when he suddenly attacked, but playing catch and then the kick and then Clem having to kill him to spare him of the suffering was over-the-top and kind of rushed like the whole episode felt.

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

wilco - 19 December 2013 06:13 PM

Concerning the dog,

I suppose the bite is obligatory, but is it possible to send him away without killing him or kicking him into the irons?

IMO, it wasn’t a very good plot device for the bite, I was surprised when he suddenly attacked, but playing catch and then the kick and then Clem having to kill him to spare him of the suffering was over-the-top and kind of rushed

What was rushed?

Is your main problem that the dog had to die?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

noknowncure - 19 December 2013 06:20 PM

What was rushed?

Is your main problem that the dog had to die?

No, I just wanted to know if it was possible to resolve that situation without kicking and killing the dog.

I felt the whole play catch, dog barking at zombie, feed the dog and then the attack happened so fast that didn’t create really any emotional response to it and was kind of ridiculous to me because it was just another crappy thing for Clem. Would it been better if it was just a animal attacking Clem when she was eating? Maybe.

But I understand your point of Telltale subverting players expectations, I was surprised with the attack and thinking they were gonna play the man’s best friend stuff longer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top