• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Poirot rides again (Microïds secures Agatha Christie license)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Montreuil (France), August 19, 2013. Anuman Interactive’s adventure game label Microïds wins the right to use Agatha Christie’s novels. The development and publishing deal was negociated by Interactive Rights Management (IRM), the interactive rights agency on behalf of Agatha Christie Limited. A series of investigation games based on her work are currently in development.

After releasing two new adventure games - Dracula 4: The Shadow of the Dragon and The inquisitor, Book I: The Plague - in summer 2013, Microïds is planning on appealing once again to the players’ intelligence with the purchase of the Agatha Christie license.

Microïds has experience in developping several adventure games that have become references points in the industry, with the Syberia saga as its benchmark. Headed by Elliot Grassiano, they are taking on the challenge of bringing some of the crime novelist’s most iconic stories and detectives, such as Hercule Poirot, to life. This deal promises loads of surprises, twisting plots, quality dialogue and drama, subtle interrogations and unexpected outcomes for the fans.

Alain Milly, Publishing Director at Anuman Interactive says “Microïds experience in adventure gaming combined with Agatha Christie’s genius whose work goes beyond all generations can only lead to new must-plays for all the mystery and investigation fans”.

Valerie Bozzetto, Joint Managing Director IRM says “Agatha Christie has already proven itself as a great game brand with the huge success we have had with our downloadable games, but we relish the challenge to make more immersive and true adventure–led games with the experts at Microïds”.

Tamsen Harward, VP Sales and Marketing, Acorn Productions Ltd which manages the rights to Agatha Christie adds: “Coming at an exciting time for the Christie brand, we feel this development will deliver a whole new level of experience for Christie’s fans around the world”.

Agatha Christie (1890 – 1976) is the author who sold the more novels across the globe according to the Guinness World Records. Nicknamed the Queen of Crime, she specialized in closed-door thrillers and spying stories. Her 66 novels, 154 short stories and 20 plays were translated worldwide more than 7.000 times. “Ten Little Niggers”, “Death on the Nile” or “Murder on the Orient-Express” are one of the many titles that have been adapted in a movie or on TV.

The first PC/Mac/iOS/Android title of this saga of investigation games will soon be announced.

What more can a Poirot fan wish for, along with the beginning of a new season of a TV show as well?

The only deal breaker is that the previous Microids game Dracula 4 received bad critics.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

Excellent news. I really enjoyed the previous Agatha Christie AGs, and would really love to see what Microïds can do with the franchise.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
Probably NOT the kind of guy you think he is.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I know Microids are French, so maybe this wasn’t immediately obvious to whoever wrote the press release, but referring to And Then There Were None by its original title might not be the best PR move. Just saying. Shifty Eyed

(According to Wikipedia it’s still known as “Dix petits nègres” in French, I get it. But still. When a foreign company acquires a license that’s a staple of English-language literature, it’d be nice to know that they have someone proofing their English…)

Anyway—cringeworthy faux pas aside—this is good news. I hope we get some nice games out of it.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

diego - 19 August 2013 07:11 PM

The only deal breaker is that previous Microids game Dracula 4 received bad critics.

It wasn’t that bad. It was just short—and a Part 1 where Dracula fans wanted a full game.

But I’m afraid we’ll get the same thing with a Poirot game from Anuman—a short, first installment. Imagine if you had to read the novels a chapter at a time, with months before you could see the next chapter.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

crabapple - 19 August 2013 08:44 PM
diego - 19 August 2013 07:11 PM

The only deal breaker is that previous Microids game Dracula 4 received bad critics.

It wasn’t that bad. It was just short—and a Part 1 where Dracula fans wanted a full game.

I don’t know, it’s not really the short length that worries me - it’s the fact that most reviewers (those on adventure gaming sites) thought the game resembles casuals too much - easy puzzles, little or no animations…

Anyway, making it episodic could work if done right (we’ll see how The Raven will pull it), but I’m sure Agatha Christie format is more suited for a full-fledged game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

This is encouraging:

Valerie Bozzetto, Joint Managing Director IRM says “Agatha Christie has already proven itself as a great game brand with the huge success we have had with our downloadable games, but we relish the challenge to make more immersive and true adventure–led games with the experts at Microïds”.

I don’t know what exactly the downloadable games she is talking about are, but I suspect they are casuals like you would find on BigFishGames. If they are looking to make something different and more challenging and chose Microïds for their previous games, that would suggest they want it to be more adventure rather than casual.

The other possibility is they saw Dracula 4 and wanted an Agatha Christie in the same style Sick

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Let’s not fool ourselves: this WILL be like Dracula 4, and just like Dracula 4 it will probably suck.

Or, we can go on fooling ourselves and you’ll all be bitterly disappointed when you all find out I was right. Then you’ll all be saying “gee, I wish we’d listened to you Zifnab. You’re so smart and handsome. From now on we’ll consider you the supreme authority on adventure games!!”  Wink

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I’m not entirely thrilled about this. As a major fan of Agatha Christie and specifically Poirot I’ve played the two Poirot games and I liked them well enough but they completely pale in comparison to Frogwares’ excellent Sherlock Holmes series. The only thing I really loved while playing them was hearing David Suchet’s voice.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

fov - 19 August 2013 08:42 PM

I know Microids are French, so maybe this wasn’t immediately obvious to whoever wrote the press release, but referring to And Then There Were None by its original title might not be the best PR move. Just saying. Shifty Eyed

That title have caused some raised eyebrows over the years, even though there is noting racist about it, and it just comes from a nursery rhyme.

Zifnab - 19 August 2013 10:10 PM

Let’s not fool ourselves: this WILL be like Dracula 4, and just like Dracula 4 it will probably suck.

Or, we can go on fooling ourselves and you’ll all be bitterly disappointed when you all find out I was right. Then you’ll all be saying “gee, I wish we’d listened to you Zifnab. You’re so smart and handsome. From now on we’ll consider you the supreme authority on adventure games!!”  Wink

Yeah right .. Like that is going to happen.
Even if you turn out to be right, then there is a say: Sometimes even the blind chicken finds the corn Wink

Anyway I think I agree with you. My expectations of what Microïds is capable of isn’t very high, and I would be more optimistic if it was being made by someone else. Right now Microïds can only surprise me positively.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I wonder why Poirot (as portrayed by David Suchet) wore a black forest snail on his upper lip..

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Microids announced The A.B.C Murders!

Only one concept art so far:

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Didn’t they already do an ABC Murders game that got awful reviews? Or was that from another company?

EDIT: That‘s the one I was thinking of. And it seems to be a completely different game by a different company.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It was from another company, and it was casual. Microids/Anuman didn’t have the license at the time.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

You’re right, I looked it up right after posting.

In any case, I’m not particularly excited about more Poirot games. Between the books that everyone’s read and the show that everyone’s watched, there mustn’t be many people left on the planet who don’t already know the stories. So what’s the point of pretending to make you figure out the mystery?

(And don’t get me started on the possibility of “keeping the story” but changing the culprit. Agatha Christie’s stories were extremely carefully plotted and you just can’t change the ending without destroying the entire structure. TAC’s awful And Then There Were None proved as much.)

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

First two screenshots for ABC Murders:

Let’s just hope those characters are not the final version.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

They definetly need to refine their character shaders, as they do stick out quite a bit from the backgrounds, despite they do seem to strive towards a bit more cartoonish art style in both.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top