• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

I was gonna make a thread asking about if there was anywhere that Broken Sword 4 was available on digital distribution but the Monkey Island thread made me think that it might be worth having a thread for the Broken Sword series, especially with the serpents curse coming out.

So, what’s your favorite Broken Sword and why? Grin

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

What I like about Broken Sword 1&2 is how it mixes things - there’s a mystery, subtle humor, serious story and a cartoony graphics. It’s a pretty much unique in that regard.

Broken Sword 3 is a good game, even though it fell victim to action trend and lost part of the charm with 3D graphics (I’m not saying they’re bad, though!)

4th part is something like Monkey Island 4 Grin It deserves part of the bashing, but I still feel it’s slightly underrated from what I’ve played. Turn to realistic graphics might have been a bad decision, but it’s not the George’s model which is a problem:

(as I find it better than in the 3rd part) but rather the bland locations with dull textures.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

I also preferred Georges model in 4 compared to the one in 3, he looked like Bradd Pitt Grin. I don’t really have much of an opinion on 4 yet, I bought it on disk back when it came out but got stuck in like the first room and lost interest
I’m intending to get through it though before Serpents Curse if I can find it.

But yeah my favourite game in the series is the second one closely followed by the first, just the art an animations are gorgeous, while 3’s graphics weren’t bad they were just kinda generic. That’s probably my biggest gripe with the HD remakes too, the art just doesn’t look as nice and the animations were kinda naff wich was a big turnoff.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I love the first and the second game, both are in my top five all-time adventure games. My favorite is the second one, probably because that’s what I played first. But even when replaying I just think the jokes are a little more… I don’t know, lewd? They just got some more spunk than in the first one, I guess. I like that.

EDIT: I don’t like 3 and 4 at all. The graphics are pretty bad in both of them and look terribly dated now. Also the crate puzzles in 3 are atrocious and sadly plentiful. The story in 3 is okay, but the story in 4 is not very good at all. I have nothing positive to say about the fourth game.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I always thought 1 was the better in the series. Number 2 disappointed me a bit and number 3 even more. But I never replayed these last 2 so my memory is a bit foggy on why precisely… Still have not played the last one.

Karmillo, you can get Angel of Death digitally from gog.com or gamersgate for example.

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

wilco - 19 August 2013 07:45 PM

I always thought 1 was the better in the series. Number 2 disappointed me a bit and number 3 even more. But I never replayed these last 2 so my memory is a bit foggy on why precisely… Still have not played the last one.

Karmillo, you can get Angel of Death digitally from gog.com or gamersgate for example.

Oh great thanks! Grin

The Locations and characters are what put 2 above one for me, loved the movie set and the fishing village [spoiler]Suddenly I didn’t feel so good…[/spoiler]

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

My favourite is without a doubt The Sleeping Dragon (yes really) It’s got the best story and dialogue, the mystery is top notch (pay attention Dan Brown) and the ending is truly memorable. The puzzles generally are very good as well. Yes there are a few to many box puzzles but all the rest is just great. Steven ince managed to turn it into a truly awesome game and one I am very fond of.

My second favourite is Shadow of the Templars. I can see why everyone likes that one the best. It’s got some really wonderufl characters and dialogue as well as puzzles. But I thought The Sleeping Dragon had just a little bit more of an epic adventure feel and I like that. Still this is also one of my favourite games and one I’ve replayed many a time.

The Smoking Mirror I am also very fond of because it’s not only the first adventure game I ever played. It is the first game I’ve ever played. But I do have to say it feels a bit rushed at times and isn’t anywhere as good as BS1 or BS3. Still I really like it.

The Angel of Death on the other hand I don’t like at all. The story was run of the mill Dan Brown stuff, the dialogue is nowhere near as good as in the other games and the puzzledesign is very poor. To top it all of the ending is basically blink and you’ll miss it and leaves you with a bad feeling in your stomach. I usually try nto to think about this one.

So that’s my opinion regarding Broken Sword, still after all these years my favourite AG series.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have never been a fan of the BS series!

It is not that I think they are bad games, because they aren’t, and I have both played end enjoyed all 4 and is also looking forward to playing the 5th.

Its just that they feel too much like a myriad of other AG’s I have played, and they lack that last x-factor that separate a mere good game from a great game. Also they tend to be a kind of odd mix between comedy, which is only rarely funny, and a more serious theme. I think they would have benefited from focusing more on either kind, and either made it more serious like GK or more hilarious like MI. 

Having said that then I would rate them like this: 1 - 2 - 4 - 3.
With the first two being by far the best.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

When is the serpent’s curse coming out? I can’t wait. The first two Broken Sword games are in my top 10 list.  I really enjoyed all those vibrant colors that they used and I thought the puzzles were some of the best.  I wasn’t too crazy about the controls in the third game and all the moving of crates, but, the story was good, so I was able to muddle through it.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2005-10-04

PM

Broken Sword 1 is the only great game in the series. A masterpiece in fact.

The second game is ok, but it was clearly rushed. The humour felt a tad forced, locations were more restricting, the music not quite on par, and neither was the plot

The third game is just an abomination. Seriously, what a stupid game. Forget about the transition to 3D - what killed this game was its ridiculous plot. Neo Templars - really?! Could you guys not come up with something more original than that?

The writing had taken a nosedive, the locations were uninspired, regardless as to whether in 3D or 2D.

But what took the biscuit was the coincidence that George and Nico were working on the same case on other sides of the world, both by stumbling upon murders in really ridiculous circumstances. The plot didn’t just jump the shark. It jumped the game planet!

Seriously, they should’ve ditched Nico, and had George move on completely.

I only played the demo of the forth game, and all the magic was lost.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Broken Sword 2 is my favourite (the first in the series that I played), closely followed by BS1. Great plot, great voice acting, great puzzles, graphics, setting, asmosphere, everything was just perfect. Both of these games would probably land a spot in my personal top 10. I have the third game, but never got very far… the graphics just turned me off completely. At the time, I was as fond of 3D as I am catching spiderwebs with my face or accidentally stepping in puddles when I’m only wearing socks. I never tried the fourth game, too many people have compared it with Escape from MI, so I doubt I’m missing out. I’m so happy that they’ve decided to return to their roots with BS5, my second most anticipated kickstarter (after Broken Age).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I thought the first game was just above average and provided an entirely forgettable experience. The only thing I remember was the intro with the clown, one joke immediately afterwards (“I’m innocent. I’m an American” - “Can’t make up your mind, eh?”) and the infamous goat puzzle.

I played the second one and thought that was mediocre at best. In fact, the game is so forgettable that I don’t remember anything from it apart from a cutscene of some ruins blowing up near the end.

Despite that, I still got the third game and for some godforsaken reason I never got the game to work, and I’ve tried on three different PCs! The game installs just fine, but I only get a black screen when I launch it… Angry

Suffice it to say I’ve never been a fan of the Broken Sword series…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Broken Sword the first was fine, but it always felt like a poor man’s Indiana Jones to me. Not as funny, not as adventurous, not as atmospheric, the main character not as charismatic,...it was fine.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

TimovieMan - 20 August 2013 01:00 PM

Suffice it to say I’ve never been a fan of the Broken Sword series…

you don’t say Crazy

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-08-12

PM

I like the first game Smile

Well, it is the only one I played, it was about 3 months ago, I got it on Android when it was featured, it is very awesome!

Now I am trying to finish the Quest For Glory series, but I will return to Broken Sword later and finish them all! Smile

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2007-08-21

PM

I am a big fine of the broken sword series
In fact my all time favorite adventure game is the sleeping dragon and its the only adventure game I have ever replayed
I think that the mix of adventure gaming with the little action in it was just very good
I was a little disappointed that the serpents curse will be 2.5d but I am excited about it nevertheless

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top