• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

I managed to dig up an old king’s quest anniversary collection cd from long long ago which I never played. I was going to try kq6 first but unfortunately the second cd where it resides on is dead. Which game from 1-5 is best? Any recommendations?

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

herb - 07 June 2013 01:30 PM

I managed to dig up an old king’s quest anniversary collection cd from long long ago which I never played. I was going to try kq6 first but unfortunately the second cd where it resides on is dead. Which game from 1-5 is best? Any recommendations?

Depends on your tolerance for ‘older’ games - even as a retro fan myself, I’d recommend playing the free downloadable remakes of KQ1-3 instead of the originals.  KQ3 is especially punishingly difficult.

KQ4 is my favourite of that quadrilogy so I’d probably recommend that - it’s the most “primitive” one not to be remade so it’s almost like starting from the earliest game in the series too, from a technological standpoint.

Unlucky about KQ6 but it’s worth buying through GOG!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

OneFlesh - 07 June 2013 01:52 PM

Unlucky about KQ6 but it’s worth buying through GOG!

^ This.

The first 4 games use a text parser, as of KQ5 it’s point-and-click.
If you have no problems with a parser, you could play them in order, imo. The remake suggestion by OneFlesh isn’t bad either. KQ4 will stick out then, though.

KQ6 is the best of the lot, and KQ7 isn’t bad either.
KQ8 is… something else. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

Oh oh I got the second cd to work on another computer lol. Good old cds always seemed to work/don’t work randomly….

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

I agree with the fact that KQ 6 is the best , have fun playing it, it’s a wonderful game! Grin

I am baaaaaaaack!

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

King’s Quest 5 is overall a pretty good game (I personally like it better than 6). Just a hint, though, turn off the atrocious voice acting!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

kate me - 07 June 2013 05:48 PM

I agree with the fact that KQ 6 is the best ,

If it is a fact you wouldn’t have to agree with it Smile

I agree with Kasper’s opinion that KQ5 is the best

Have fun!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

agreeing with facts, can be taken as liking it also,
‘i don’t agree with the fact that Lucasarts came with the most famous adventures through time’ Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Is that a fact? Obviously, Infocom is the most famous. Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Hmmmm , (thinking deeply).......
.. how am i gonna disagree with that Tongue

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 07 June 2013 08:35 PM

King’s Quest 5 is overall a pretty good game (I personally like it better than 6). Just a hint, though, turn off the atrocious voice acting!

Actually, I’m pretty sure you CAN’T turn off the voice acting—at least not in the original CD version.  The GoG version might have been patched to include the option, but I’m not sure.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Lambonius - 07 June 2013 09:28 PM
Kasper F. Nielsen - 07 June 2013 08:35 PM

Actually, I’m pretty sure you CAN’T turn off the voice acting—at least not in the original CD version.  The GoG version might have been patched to include the option, but I’m not sure.

Hmm, that’s odd. I’m pretty sure I could turn the voices off when I played the version included in the King’s Quest Collection Confused Maybe I’m remembering wrong, I’ve replayed the game since and purposely played versions with no speech.

However, I think I used a trick with sound card settings effectively killing the voices, but I’m not sure, it’s so long ago. But for some reason that’s the solution that’s creeping up in the back of my mind.

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

I know what you mean about the voiceover on kq5, I saw the intro.

There seems to be a scumm bug at the black widow(can i progress without pulling the paper?) for kq6 and need some kind of manual for the cliff. I like the dwarf sequence.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

They removed the relevant parts from the pdf but it’s ok I found solution on gamefaq. The story is getting quite good.

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

hi was wondering about the peppermint leaves, where exactly do i click to go to the second cavern? Do i have to get it before i enter the catacomb? I cant seem to find it.

KQ6 did not disappoint. The second half was fantastic. Lots of funny moments and the deaths/alternate paths increase re-playability alot. I like it more than gabriel knight.

The deaths really bring alot of replayability to the game. If only they made it easier to retry after dying like certain puzzle games where all it takes is press r to retry, it would encourage experimentation, as it is the urge to read a walkthrough is great after watching the character walk up those stupid stairs for the XXX time. Liberal usage of autosaves and someway to skip the walking animations(press esc to teleport!)would be welcome. A time travelling character with teleportation powers would be great for such a game. Time travelling to mask the autosave points and teleportation to make backtracking minimal fuss. I wonder if there’s some modern evolution of this Sierra style.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top