• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventures that made a difference that was followed? 

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think 3D adventure Total Eclipse (1988) also worked in realtime.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Border Zone (1987) was real-time too, but Ascovel mentioned the “time manipulation mechanic” in The Last Express, and Border Zone didn’t have that. (Unless you count waiting to advance time, and the option to make the real-time clock run slower.)

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

Zifnab - 20 May 2013 04:34 PM

Wouldn’t Azarok’s Tomb (1987) be considered real-time? The seconds went on ticking by while you sat there doing nothing.

Depends on if the actual puzzles/gameplay elements were in any way influenced by the time movement or not.

From the game’s descriptions I found, it doesn’t seem like that was the case.

But I haven’t played it myself.

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

eriktorbjorn - 21 May 2013 04:54 AM

Border Zone (1987) was real-time too, but Ascovel mentioned the “time manipulation mechanic” in The Last Express, and Border Zone didn’t have that. (Unless you count waiting to advance time, and the option to make the real-time clock run slower.)

Yes, I haven’t played it but it seems like Border Zone is the famous first instance of real time gameplay in an adventure game.

It was a text only game, so Metropolis may still be the first graphic adventure with real time (a more tech than design feat).

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Did you all not see my post or something? The Hobbit (1982) is much older than the other real-time games being mentioned here and more importantly sold over a million copies. It’s not the earliest real-time adventure game, but given the number of sales, certainly the best contender for most influential in that regard, which is what this thread is about.

And while The Last Express is a great game, it isn’t actually a contender for anything because the one thing supposedly new that was mentioned in this thread (e.g. being able to manipulate time in a real-time game), was not adopted to any degree by anyone else, meaning it had no influence on the industry at all.

By comparison, all the real-time games from the late 80s being mentioned came directly after The Hobbit’s massive sales success, making it likely that it was influential on some of these later games.

Personally, I think real-time is as dubious as graphics when it comes to being notable, but if we are going to give credit to someone, I don’t see any game as being more deserving than The Hobbit for the real-time category.

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

Bastich - 21 May 2013 01:43 PM

Did you all not see my post or something? The Hobbit (1982) is much older than the other real-time games being mentioned here and more importantly sold over a million copies. It’s not the earliest real-time adventure game, but given the number of sales, certainly the best contender for most influential in that regard, which is what this thread is about.

Well, the presence of real time in The Hobbit is questionable:

“Unlike other works of interactive fiction, the game was also in real time - if you left the keyboard for too long, events continued without you by automatically entering the “WAIT” command with the response “You wait - time passes”. If you had to leave the keyboard for a short time, there was a “PAUSE” command which would stop all events until a key was pressed.” (quoted from Wikipedia)

That’s no real time IMO. It still advances in turns. You can’t have simultaneous events within The Hobbit.

And while The Last Express is a great game, it isn’t actually a contender for anything because the one thing supposedly new that was mentioned in this thread (e.g. being able to manipulate time in a real-time game), was not adopted to any degree by anyone else, meaning it had no influence on the industry at all.

Oh, it had notable influence in the industry, though not directly via adventure games. It was followed by Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and more recently Braid which is at least in part an adventure game.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Hmm… one interesting thing - I don’t think it’s always possible to equal “being first” and “games that made a difference that was followed”. For example, Maniac Mansion did everything “first” before Monkey Island, but perhaps Monkey Island is more “followed”?

Anyway - I think one of the more “influential” games is also King’s Quest 7! Sure, we’ve had Day of the Tentacle and Sam&Max; before it, but it was with King’s Quest 7 that games really started to look like a full-length animated film. It introduced smart cursor for the first time in Sierra games, and even though one can argue that it simplified exploration it became the staple interface. I believe it was one of the first games that featured up-close inspection of objects you’re carrying.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 21 May 2013 02:01 PM

Hmm… one interesting thing - I don’t think it’s always possible to equal “being first” and “games that made a difference that was followed”. For example, Maniac Mansion did everything “first” before Monkey Island, but perhaps Monkey Island is more “followed”?

No. 1st things that had been presented originally by some People Devs was followed, because of the the good result and the feedback it gave on the industry.
and even i can take you example of Maniac Mansion & Monkey Island to start to think of Confluence of thoughts .. i couldn’t as they were presented by the same Dev.

...who would have thought that a text saying ‘YOU ARE STANDING AT THE END OF A ROAD BEFORE A SMALL BRICK BUILDING.AROUND YOU IS A FOREST…...etc’ would have created/resulted a genre and an industry ,
we need to give every___ created/started something their credits

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think King’s Quest was the first adventure game with on screen objects, like trees and houses, you could actually walk behind of.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top