• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Florus

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventures that made a difference that was followed? 

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Advie - 19 May 2013 01:07 AM

like without Mystery House there would not be Graphic adventure (yeah maybe someoneelse would had make, but that is not the point)

I’ve always found this to be a really dumb thing to give them credit for. The game had graphics because the Apple II was engineered to produce graphics. Giving them credit for that is like giving accolades to the first carpenter to frame a house with a nailgun.

Shocking! Give someone a tool, and they use it!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 19 May 2013 08:40 PM
tomimt - 19 May 2013 05:34 PM
Zifnab - 19 May 2013 03:53 AM

First FMV is difficult. Definitely 7th Guest for full use of movie-style video+sound but what about Mean Streets?

Dragon’s Lair used FMV in 1983, but then again there’s a question of if it’s an adventure game, QTE game or an action game.

I just looked it up and watched this full gameplay:

Where is the FMV? Forgive me if it’s a dumb question but I don’t see any.

It’s traditionally hand animated. FMV can refer to that as well, not just use of live filmed actors.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

tomimt - 20 May 2013 01:47 AM
Zifnab - 19 May 2013 08:40 PM
tomimt - 19 May 2013 05:34 PM

Dragon’s Lair used FMV in 1983, but then again there’s a question of if it’s an adventure game, QTE game or an action game.

I just looked it up and watched this full gameplay:

Where is the FMV? Forgive me if it’s a dumb question but I don’t see any.

It’s traditionally hand animated. FMV can refer to that as well, not just use of live filmed actors.

Wouldn’t almost every game be FMV then? Just about everything has hand animated video files, from the intro of Monkey Island 3 to Deponia.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 20 May 2013 02:40 AM

Wouldn’t almost every game be FMV then? Just about everything has hand animated video files, from the intro of Monkey Island 3 to Deponia.

I do believe the defintion of FMV is, that if the animation is not produced natively with the game engine, then it’s FMV. So for an example if a FPS game has story moments rendered with the game engine it’s not FMV.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tomimt - 20 May 2013 02:45 AM

I do believe the defintion of FMV is, that if the animation is not produced natively with the game engine, then it’s FMV. So for an example if a FPS game has story moments rendered with the game engine it’s not FMV.

I’ve never heard this definition of FMV in any review around here or the AG community. FMV is film - real people on video. Not drawings. I think that is the understanding of most people that play adventure games.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

guys are we really debating not trying tomonitor AG history with each’s (unique)  knowledge of some piece of the puzzle , sometime i feel if someone said ian fleming is the one who created James Bond i would find another say no But the was an originally taken from   japanese cartoon that fleming just changed the name and moved the it to happen at the British Secret Service ... we need to approve with each other on fact and not always agree to not agree unless one has a strong prove against another’s strong one too , if Mystery House was the 1st Graphic adventure because Apple II was engineered to produce the graphics it STILL makes Mystery Housethe 1st.

sorry to talk like…..... but i just see that not very productive .

anyways Smile
which was the 1st game that had cutscenes and another Q is Riven really the most financially aided Adventure until this day with the 10,000,000 Millions spent on producing it?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 20 May 2013 03:40 AM

which was the 1st game that had cutscenes

Didn’t the name ‘cutscene’ originate from Maniac Mansion???

and another Q is Riven really the most financially aided Adventure until this day with the 10,000,000 Millions spent on producing it?

Wouldn’t that be L.A. Noire? Or maybe even Portal 2?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 20 May 2013 02:52 AM
tomimt - 20 May 2013 02:45 AM

I’ve never heard this definition of FMV in any review around here or the AG community. FMV is film - real people on video. Not drawings. I think that is the understanding of most people that play adventure games.

As far I know the only real requirement for FMV is, that it is pre-recorded and doesn’t use in-game rendered pixels or other real time graphics. Of course, the line between game graphics cut-scene and FMV is a bit blurry, but actual, living actors are not a requested part of it, despite now days term FMV is more closely linked on the use of living actors. I think that’s mostly thanks to that it’s pretty difficult to tell nowdays if something is pre-recorded or not, as most games can create rather good in game cinematics by using the game engine.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TimovieMan - 20 May 2013 05:03 AM

Yes. I recently watched a documentary about the history of games, and the word “cutscene” is actually Ron Gilberts invention.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Dag - 20 May 2013 06:51 AM
TimovieMan - 20 May 2013 05:03 AM

Yes. I recently watched a documentary about the history of games, and the word “cutscene” is actually Ron Gilberts invention.

What documentary is that? Would like to see one.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I found it on Youtube. It’s in 5 ten-minute parts. Here’s the links:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Bastich - 20 May 2013 01:08 AM
Advie - 19 May 2013 01:07 AM

like without Mystery House there would not be Graphic adventure (yeah maybe someoneelse would had make, but that is not the point)

I’ve always found this to be a really dumb thing to give them credit for. The game had graphics because the Apple II was engineered to produce graphics. Giving them credit for that is like giving accolades to the first carpenter to frame a house with a nailgun.

Shocking! Give someone a tool, and they use it!

I don’t think giving Sierra credit for having one of the first massively popular graphic adventure game steps over any kind of line.  Yeah - they did have a tool, and yeah - they used it.  They just used it in a much finer way than anyone else had at the time.  You can invent a tool, and think of one way to use it - but then there’s that master carpenter who learns how to turn a simple saw into a delicate tool to cut different angles into wood, and thus create a better structure.  Sierra just built the first popular proverbial better mouse-trap!

Bt

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

maladroid - 19 May 2013 08:54 PM
Ascovel - 19 May 2013 03:50 PM

The Last Express - first AG in real time + time-manipulation mechanic to compensate for nasty consequences of certain choices, followed by Braid

Hmm. I haven’t played TLE but Cruise for a Corpse had a real-time element, meaning that you had to be in a certain place at a certain time or you missed the action and I believe Colonel’s Bequest used a similar system even before that time. Not sure about the consequences of not following the time-patterns, though, as I never got very far in either of these games.

Those two were turn-based rather than real time. Turn-based advancement of time was pretty common feature already in text adventures.

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ascovel - 20 May 2013 12:06 PM

Hmm. I haven’t played TLE but Cruise for a Corpse had a real-time element, meaning that you had to be in a certain place at a certain time or you missed the action and I believe Colonel’s Bequest used a similar system even before that time. Not sure about the consequences of not following the time-patterns, though, as I never got very far in either of these games.

Those two were turn-based rather than real time. Turn-based advancement of time was pretty common feature already in text adventures.

I think event driven would be more closer to the time system Colone’s Bequest and Cruise for of Corpse had. The clock ticked every time you found something important, but there also was some minor stuff you could miss, if you didn’t find it before the major clock moving element.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Wouldn’t Azarok’s Tomb (1987) be considered real-time? The seconds went on ticking by while you sat there doing nothing.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top