• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What Psychological Thriller Adventure Game (should I play next)?

Poll: What game should I play next?
Total Votes: 32
The Blackstone Chronicles
The Moment of Silence
The Black Mirror series
Fahrenheit
I Have no Mouth and Must Scream
Anchorhead

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Those are all really good games—I voted for Moment of Silence. I gotta play that one again.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2013-05-10

PM

well just finished Fahrenheit, was an AWESOME GAME. Thanks for that as a recommendation. Thinking I am going to start I have no mouth, but I must scream, also thinking of Darkness within, since its based on HP Lovecraft.

I also ordered a copy of Blackstone Chronicles, should be here in a week or so.

I am looking into the other suggestions given recently, and other suggestions are also welcome. When I find a good adventure game, I tend to burn though that really fast.

Thanks,

Blake

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

Have you played ‘Downfall’?  The first game by the creators of ‘The Cat Lady’?  I found it to be quite good even after playing ‘The Cat Lady’ first.  It’s fairly buggy though.

Joined 2013-05-10

PM

OMG… I didn’t realize Downfall was done by the same guy as The Cat Lady. I loved downfall, I forgot what it was called. Amazing game, and definitely deserving of the AWESOME GAMES list.

Thanks for reuniting me with that one,

Blake

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

These are games for my taste too. I still haven’t played I Have No Mouth and Must Scream but I’ll get to that. I noticed it even back then but didn’t have the opportunity to purchase it then and then I just managed to forget it.

I would also recommend Heavy Raind if PS3 games are a possibility, thought it was brilliant, even better than Fahrenheit (you might guess I’m pretty eagerly waiting Beyond at this point). I also enjoyed the Black Mirror series a lot.

I’ll have to check out some of the other games mentioned here too. I know many of them are borderline horror but I might have to risk it as thriller is my favourite genre and the boundaries are rather hazy sometimes.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2994

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 11 May 2013 12:07 PM
Sefir - 11 May 2013 10:43 AM

The fact is however that it is a hard game to find at a reasonable price.

I think it can be found as abandonware for ScummVM, strictly speaking it might not be quite legal though.

I know, but since the line between legal and illegal is very thin for abandonware (NOT the same as freeware), I prefer not to mention that option at all.

EDIT: Why most people call it I Have No Mouth And Must Scream, while the game I know is called I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream? Are there different versions of the game?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 13 May 2013 08:36 AM

I know, but since the line between legal and illegal is very thin for abandonware (NOT the same as freeware), I prefer not to mention that option at all.

Well perhaps i shouldn’t have mentioned it either.
I think the whole issue with abandonware is a difficult issue, on one hand i prefer to buy my games 100% legally and will encourage other to do the same, but on the other hand it is simply not always possible.

Sefir - 13 May 2013 08:36 AM

EDIT: Why most people call it I Have No Mouth And Must Scream, while the game I know is called I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream? Are there different versions of the game?

I have actually though about that myself. At first i thought it was because the game is based on a book, and that there was a difference in the title of the two, but no, they are both called “I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream”. I don’t think there are different versions of the game, i think the I simply gets lost sometimes.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

This thread made me decide to play I Have No Mouth for the first time and as I begin “chapter 3” of the game, I can say it does not disappoint so far.

I swear I’m not even doing it on purpose, but this is my third adventure game in a row featuring an antagonistic supercomputer. Can’t complain though, they’ve all been good.

Joined 2013-05-10

PM

Well I just beat I have No Mouth, I Must Scream. It was a great game, so glad it was mentioned as a game I needed to play. Haven’t decided which one to play now. I finally got my copy of Blackstone Chronicles, so probably going to give that a shot, if I can get it to work. Hopefully Windows compatibility mode will make it work.

As always any other game suggestions are welcome.

MODERATORS: Is there a way to adjust the Poll at the beginning or redo it, So it can reflect other games, and remove the ones I have played now. I can’t seem to edit that.

Thanks,

Blake

Joined 2013-05-10

PM

No moderators have a reply to how to fix my poll issue. I would greatly appreciate some assistance.

Thanks,

Blake

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Blake, I just checked and editing a poll is not amongst my powers either. I’m afraid you’re stuck with the poll as it is… Meh

I suggest just taking our posted suggestions anyway, that’s always a better indication than a poll, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-05-10

PM

Thanks for the help either way. I appreciate you looking into it for me. As always if anyone has any other suggestions feel free. I recently started Walking Dead, which a few people on another forum recommended, I am now on Episode 3 and loving it. Not really psychological Horror but love the story in general, and am a big fan of the show. So feel free to take that in as information to determine what games should be recommended to me.

Thanks all for your help,

Blake

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Have you played Shadow of the Comet yet? Dark Seed?

Joined 2013-05-10

PM

Nope never heard of them, but definitely going to check them out now. I see they are older games, and if you have any kind of a simple preface for me it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Blake

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Shadow of the Comet was in the site’s Top 100. Here’s the entry:

#74 – Shadow of the Comet

The work of H.P. Lovecraft has inspired a myriad of novels, movies and games over the years. One of the most frightening, Shadow of the Comet, perhaps captures the eerie atmosphere of such tales as The Dunwich Horror and The Shadow over Innsmouth more effectively than all of them. As photographer and journalist John Parker, you are called to a secluded New England town to do a report on Halley’s Comet, but you’ll soon find yourself investigating the strange events that occurred there during its previous passage in 1834, when an astronomer came to the village and went mysteriously insane. The original interface of this 1993 Infogrames adventure is quite cumbersome by today’s standards (at least before being updated in a CD-ROM re-release), making segments requiring quick reflexes incredibly taxing, and some solutions like the infamous Icarus-like escape device are a bit silly, but the otherwise gripping story and fear-filled atmosphere are what make this adventure an unheralded classic that every horror fan should play.

Like any good Lovecraft adventure, when you walk through the early twentieth century streets of Illsmouth, even in the comforting light of day, the atmosphere is so thick and ominous that you constantly feel that something bad is about to happen. The unnerving, disquieting soundtrack feeds this tension beautifully, reinforcing the sense that every corner you turn may conceal one of the unspeakable horrors of the Cthulhu mythos, putting a constant strain on your nerves. The horror isn’t merely implied though, by any means. Something ancient lurks beneath the town, waiting to be reawakened, and you better hope it’s not you. Some sequences, particularly toward the end of the game, are definitely not for the faint of heart and are bound to send a thrilling shiver down your spine. If you’re looking for an adventure capable of keeping you on the edge of your seat and then making you jump from it, you still can’t go wrong with Shadow of the Comet, even to this day.

I stole this Mobygames blurb for Dark Seed:

Dark Seed is an adventure game which capitalizes on the drawings of famous horror designer H. R. Giger as a source of background artwork and inspiration.

You play Mike Dawson, an ad company manager who, in pursuit of his goal in life to become a writer, purchases a solitary mansion in a small town called Woodland Hills. Although the low cost and hush-hush transactions when purchasing the house do raise your suspicion, the solitary environment and sheer beauty of the house crush common sense and you decide to buy the house. That’s when trouble begin. Upon reaching the house, you suddenly feel tired. You find a bed and fall asleep…

... and wake up from a terrible dream, only to find out that your life has just become a worse nightmare: an unknown source has implanted a seed of darkness in your mind, and you only have three days to find a way to stop it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top