• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelNDFSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What Psychological Thriller Adventure Game (should I play next)?

Poll: What game should I play next?
Total Votes: 32
The Blackstone Chronicles
The Moment of Silence
The Black Mirror series
Fahrenheit
I Have no Mouth and Must Scream
Anchorhead

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2013-05-10

PM

I am looking for a new adventure game to play with an in depth and twisted story. Preferably psychological, and a thriller. I will give a list of the games I really loved and some that were pretty good but not great in my perspective in order to give you an idea of what to promote. I also greatly prefer (M) Mature rated games. I prefer the experience to be truest in the sense to reality, no sugar or softening. Example would be The Cat Lady. This of course isn’t required, but seems to usually result in a massive plus. In the end the biggest factor is a very well told and indepth story. The Cat Lady strikes at the psychological thriller with the emotional idea attached. Gabriel Knight was loved for the immense detail and riveting story of conspiracy that keeps you going on. Gray Matter was the same deep story with the drive to know more about what the heck is going on, same with Broken Sword series.

ABSOLUTE BEST, (AWESOME):

Gabriel Knight series
  The Cat Lady
  Gray Matter
  Broken Sword series
  Cognition
  Realms of the Haunting
  Downfall
  Fahrenheit
  I Have No Mouth, I Must Scream

PRETTY GOOD, (NOT AWESOME):

Sanitarium
  Phantasmagoria (Would have been absolutely best for story, hated movie video games)
  Overclocked
  Scratches (Don’t really like this Slideshow like perspective)
  Amnesia (Not really the adventure style I like, great thrill and psychology though)
  Gemini Rue
  Sherlock Holmes series

PS. Just a side note, I have played just about every Sierra game that exists, and tried to play almost all Lucas Arts adventures games. Had a hard time with Lucas Arts titles because of their interface, I know some love that system, but it doesn’t seem natural for me. I grew up with Sierra.

There are many games I have left out of the list due to the fact I felt they didn’t fit the type I was going for, or just plain forgot. So as the replies come through I will probably amend my post to reflect some that people mention that I forgot to place in a category, or didn’t feel needed to earlier.

Thanks all for your help in choosing my next big adventure title, If possible please list title and why you think it will fit my idea of a Awesome game. Obviously leave out any spoilers that would potential ruin the point of playing the game.

Thanks again,

Blake K. Stoltman

Total Posts: 194

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

The first thing that comes to mind is The Blakstone Chronicles. It is about an old asylum and its inmates. And the horrors they had to sustain in the asylum. The atmosphere is dark, and I loved how the stories unfolded.
Also, I don’t know if your mention of the Sherlock Holmes series includes the older ones. If not, I found The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - The Case of the Serrated Scalpel really good as well. It is not that dark, but it is a game with a terrific storyline, worked out into details, and with some nice twists and turns.

A prince it is? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path!

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

I’m thinking of The Moment of Silence and Black Mirror (both third person point and click), and Fahrenheit (it takes long to get used to the controls)

I am baaaaaaaack!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I Have no Mouth and Must Scream - Similar to The Cat Lady, the whole game is about exploring and confronting the dark phobias and fears of the five characters, and it’s incredibly powerful stuff. I almost found it too disturbing to finish. The only possible downside is the verb interface, but you seem pretty experienced with adventure games so you should be able to handle it. A must play for psychological horror fans.

Anchorhead - Breathlessly thrilling text adventure in the psychological style of Lovecraft. Works extremely well to place you in the middle of the story and scare the hell out of you. It’s a newer game and unlike some of the 80s IF, not frustrating at all. A Sierra fan used to text parser should have no problems.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I’m with Luna on The Blackstone Chronicles. I think you’ll find it exactly what you’re looking for.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I voted for I Have no Mouth and Must Scream. It is simply a must play for anybody who likes games with a psychological theme. It made a deep impact on me when i played it some years ago.

Otherwise Oscar explained it pretty well:

Oscar - 10 May 2013 09:01 AM

I Have no Mouth and Must Scream - Similar to The Cat Lady, the whole game is about exploring and confronting the dark phobias and fears of the five characters, and it’s incredibly powerful stuff. I almost found it too disturbing to finish. The only possible downside is the verb interface, but you seem pretty experienced with adventure games so you should be able to handle it. A must play for psychological horror fans.

I can also recommend The Black Mirror series, though it is more a horror theme then a psychological theme. But it does have an in depth and very twisted story, and based on your list i think you will enjoy it.

I recently tried Fahrenheit myself, but i simply found the whole QTE (or whatever they call it in this game) to be too silly and annoying, and abandoned the game after a couple of hours. So unless you are a sucker for QTE then i cant recommend it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Blackstone Chronicles is a really great game, however, it does have the slideshow type perspective you didn’t like in Scratches. If you can get over that though it is well worth your time.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Psychology nowadays is more driven by Technology, big brother society , where nothing is
what it seems…...Moment of Silence.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Obviously most thrilling experience is Fahrenheit.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

I am obviously biased and recommend Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller. Smile

Supernatural powers, serial killers, modern adventure game with classic gameplay style. Smile Episodes 1 & 2 are out now, and Episode 3 comes out next week. (out of 4 total)

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

did someone just made a advertisement?  Tongue

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2012-11-09

PM

I see that we have a similar taste in games because all games that you mentioned are also my favourites. I gave my vote to I have no mouth and I must scream (that is some weird game), but can also recommend the Blackstone chronicles.

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

I admitted I was biased! But in all honesty, our game does fit a lot of what BStoltman is looking for and is pretty similar to games already listed.

I’ll gladly also point out we’ve got a demo that’s totally free if you don’t want to just take my word for it Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

KatieHal - 10 May 2013 04:53 PM

our game does fit a lot of what BStoltman is looking for and is pretty similar to games already listed.

KatieHal Miss (With all the respect in the WORLD for you) have ever play I Have No Mouth and,The Blackstone Chronicles ... or phantasmagoria and sanitarium (which not listed here) before acclaiming this similarity! ...

p.s:Plus that BStoltman Poll/Q seems more about games he already got and confused about which to start.

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Gabriel Knight, Gray Matter, Broken Sword, and Farenheit were specifically the ones I was thinking of there.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well i gotta say that i am so glad that a great person such as you already working behind and for the scene (instead of people like me who had nothing to give but words) is contributing in threads here and sharing thoughts ...that is surely awesome by any chance .

but you were little off topic somehow and since its not my thread, i will shut up

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top