• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

SpaceVenture (The Two Guys from Andromeda) 

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

cozyhome - 24 August 2022 10:14 AM
tomimt - 24 August 2022 07:14 AM

That is a reasonable assumption, yes. It has the feel of a Space Quest game, I’d say especially from around SQ3 and SQ4.

Sounds good. I just don’t like the protagonist, he seems boring Meh

I concur. The guy seems like a total dunce. I get that’s what they were going for I guess (I mean Roger was similar) but there’s nothing charismatic about this character at all. An overweight slob looking handy man type character does not make me feel excited to go on a space ‘venture’ lol. I do love the art though that I’ve seen and glad the game is finally coming out, hopefully it will be good, but that character just kind of sucks lol

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ace is very different kind of a charcater than what Roger was. He was always more of a blank slate, at least in terms of that Roger doesn’t have a very distinctive personality, not in the 1st 4 games at least. Only in the later games he was given more personality beyond just being a stand in for the player.

Ace on the other hand, has his own personality from the get go, an iteration of your stereotypical “working Joe”-kind of a personality. He isn’t meant to be a space hero, he’s just your average Joe, trying to make a buck.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Burge - 24 August 2022 01:43 PM

I’m sure the save/load issues have been there for at least a year, if not longer.

Why did it take them this long to sit down and crunch it out, if it only took 4 days? Shouldn’t they have done this 2 years minus 4 days ago?

I can only assume that many programmers doing the job remotely created such a mess that they had to organise a special session to fix it. Why so close to the game release is a good question, and a bit alarming as well. I suppose you could argue that covid could have played some role in that, but who knows.

Anyway, in cases like this, sometimes a bad option is the best option.
We all probably hate games which have only one save slot and the game autosaves whenever you reach certain checkpoint. But (not having played the game) I would guess that it might be easier to create such checkpoints which reset inventory and everything else, rather than trying to keep track of everything.

I don’t know what properties there are in the game, but in the worse case scenario the list of saved information is almost endless. Which rooms you have visited, what inventory items you have and in which order, which dialogue options you have gone through with all NPCs, in what state unsolved puzzles are (for instance slider puzzles can have a great number of states), and obviously the game settings and options.

Quite literally hundreds of things to save in the worst case scenario. With checkpoints, you would have perhaps 10-20 different cases, and all being decided by the programmer. They are annoying from the player perspective, but there are reasons why they are being used.

tomimt - 25 August 2022 02:02 AM

Ace is very different kind of a charcater than what Roger was. He was always more of a blank slate, at least in terms of that Roger doesn’t have a very distinctive personality, not in the 1st 4 games at least. Only in the later games he was given more personality beyond just being a stand in for the player.

At least in the first game that is intentional.
What many people don’t remember is that in the first game the protagonist isn’t really Roger Wilco, it’s “you”. The player can even give his own name to the protagonist, even though it’s not used more than once or twice.

When that option was removed in the later games, they could start developing the fictional character more, and care less about how well the player would fit in the role of accidental hero.

And you are correct, in the fifth game there was a big change in storytelling, going from that always accidental hero to a stupid space cadet.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Well, today should be the day. The Guys have posted a message saying, that when 16th is done, the backers should have their hands on SpaceVenture. Having played the buggy beta versions, I’m intrigued on how much polish they’ve managed to do since the latest already 2-years old beta.

Considering the time zone differences, I’ll most likely play the backer release version on Saturday. After I’ve played it, I’ll report back.

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

GateKeeper - 25 August 2022 03:28 AM

What many people don’t remember is that in the first game the protagonist isn’t really Roger Wilco, it’s “you”. The player can even give his own name to the protagonist, even though it’s not used more than once or twice.

When that option was removed in the later games, they could start developing the fictional character more, and care less about how well the player would fit in the role of accidental hero.

And you are correct, in the fifth game there was a big change in storytelling, going from that always accidental hero to a stupid space cadet.

My GOD, I’ve played every game two dozen times, and I’ve never thought about this. This is very eye-opening.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Having now played SV for a while, it’s quite obvious why this was a backer-only release. It’s still way too buggy to be sold and considering how long this has been in development, I don’t have high hopes for this to be much more polished when and if it ever hits the actual storefronts.

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Have any backers received their code to access the game yet? I’ve yet to get mine.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Randwulf83 - 17 September 2022 11:47 AM

Have any backers received their code to access the game yet? I’ve yet to get mine.

Check your spam and trash folders. They might be there.

But yeah, I played SV through. All in all, it still is pretty buggy and the UI and the controls are not very good. I do like the story and the release version has something of a better-rounded story than the beta version with all the added narration.

Space Venture still needs some more spit and polish to really shine and if they ever do get all the little things fixed, I’d say it’s something of a 3,5 out of 5 stars game. With all the technical issues, I’d give it a 2 out of 5.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

tomimt - 17 September 2022 12:15 PM

But yeah, I played SV through. All in all, it still is pretty buggy and the UI and the controls are not very good. I do like the story and the release version has something of a better-rounded story than the beta version with all the added narration.

Space Venture still needs some more spit and polish to really shine and if they ever do get all the little things fixed, I’d say it’s something of a 3,5 out of 5 stars game. With all the technical issues, I’d give it a 2 out of 5.

Thats pretty sad for game in development for a decade.

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Got the email with the link right after I posted. Played for about an hour and man, is this game janky. Like even the main menu’s settings button didn’t work. Also noticing that voiceovers don’t always work either. The sliding puzzles are annoying (honestly, didn’t Broken Sword III prove that no one likes these?), and the UI is hardly user friendly. Honestly, why can’t I click one button to switch between characters instead of having to open the options, then select the phone, then choose the dog? This UI needs an overhaul.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Haha, too true, that’s what happened to me.
Is my mail service trying to tell me something there? Laughing

tomimt - 17 September 2022 06:24 AM

Having now played SV for a while, it’s quite obvious why this was a backer-only release. It’s still way too buggy to be sold and considering how long this has been in development, I don’t have high hopes for this to be much more polished when and if it ever hits the actual storefronts.

Yeah, that sounds disappointing.

You kind of can expect some level of normal “release bugs”, but this comment had really me scratching my head:

“The game is built to run on 1920×1080 resolution. You can go to any 16:9 resolution below that if you want, but it’s very important not to go above that resolution as some of the artwork mechanics may cause bugs.”

Okay, games do have their native resolutions, we get that.
But I can’t really understand how going over it can break anything, assuming all assets in the game are true 3D?

I have played a good number of games, where you can more or less hack in any resolution you want. Even the old Gabriel Knight 3 can be made to support resolutions much above its true native resolution.

So what have they actually done here that can even theoretically cause such behaviour in the game? Really weird.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I also received the link. Played the game for a couple of hours and quite enjoyed it in fact. That’s it, up until I ran into a game-stopping bug from what it seems — I lost the ability to control Rooter as soon as I left the flooding elevator. What’s worse, the game rewrote my save file with an autosave, so I can’t replay that section now and have to restart the whole thing Frown

The game does feel dated and unfinished right from the start, with occasional graphical and sound glitches. Smart cursor is not all that smart, active areas don’t always highlight, so it’s easier to just click everything like in a classic Sierra game. Voice acting is also messy, some lines are voiced, others — not, including the narrator. I did enjoy his voice work though, very close to what Gary Owens did which adds a lot to the atmosphere. Got used to the protagonist and his voice after a while too.

I also like the idea behind the complex UI. Discovering it is kind of a puzzle itself, with all those numerous options (the app store parody was great fun, too bad so few applications work), but I see how it may become pain in the arse soon, similar to Feeble Files. Combining items in particular is very cumbersome. A traditional Sierra interface would’ve worked better, maybe with some additional controls for Rooter.

Plumber humour/gameplay was pretty solid so far, despite the linearity and unimaginative areas. It’s old-school Andromeda Guys writing and puzzle design (not counting crate pushing, thank God they abandoned it early into the game!), and it is obvious they put a lot of imagination into it. I’m just not sure it’s playable in the current state…

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Here’s my longer review of the game:
https://bit.ly/3RUmQYK

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ok, that wasn’t actually a game-stopping bug, or at least navigating Rooter isn’t needed to advance the game — sometimes controls change so dramatically that it’s hard to tell whether it’s a glitch or a feature. Later we regain control of Rooter automatically, so it doesn’t matter. What matters is another rather annoying bug at that point, also involving the dog robot — I saw people complaining about it at the KS page which also contains the solution. Rooter’s head is needed, but you can’t just click on it because the dog tends to stand before Ace, so you need to move him around a bit until Rooter runs somewhere else and becomes active, then you grab the damn thing.

After that the game continued, but after a while I looked at something and the game froze dead. Had to restart the whole level thanks to the saving system reminiscent of cartridge games. This happened at least a couple of times so far, not counting other bugs like trying to leave an area or sneak somewhere while holding Rooter — the game just goes nuts. I felt relieved when I finally managed to leave the ship: after that gameplay becomes more relaxing and less linear as you are given several tasks to complete and can explore a bigger area LucasArts-style.

So far I managed to fix Rooter which was pretty fun, even that microscope part (another section where controls change completely). I’m not sure if I’ll be able to finish the whole game, but I’m afraid that a proper patch will take another 10 years to produce, so I’ll play what I can. People at KS mention that it’s more polished and stable from this point which gives hope.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

OK, the game is starting to grow on me, but I can’t figure out how to combine objects in the inventory. Trying to solve the socket puzzle in the steam room, and nothing works. Can someone explain the puzzle to me?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top